Trigger voltage and wireless triggers

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Can a flash unit with a high trigger voltage (350vdc) be used with any wireless trigger? or do they need special triggers? The flash I'm thinking of is a Vivitar 283 / 285 only because their cheapish, available, high power but more importantly thyristor controlled. If you know any other alternatives I would be very grateful :) doesn't need to be camera specific, just cheap.

Thanks in advance (y)

Steve

The V2s and PT-04 triggers won't work with the 283/285 as they only work with voltages under 12v, the V2 version might do the job, but it's only rated up to 200v

The V2s and PT-04 triggers won't work with the 283/285 as they only work with voltages under 12v, the V2 version might do the job, but it's only rated up to 200v

Thanks Flash and much appreciated (y) I guess they're worth a go :)

Steve

Have a look through the Strobist Flickr group, there's bound to be something there about the combo you're thinking about

Some 285 flashes trigger under 12 volt. Mine does, though not all do.

Hi all

Can a flash unit with a high trigger voltage (350vdc) be used with any wireless trigger? or do they need special triggers? The flash I'm thinking of is a Vivitar 283 / 285 only because their cheapish, available, high power but more importantly thyristor controlled. If you know any other alternatives I would be very grateful :) doesn't need to be camera specific, just cheap.

Thanks in advance (y)

Steve

The first thing to watch out for when buying a 283/285 flashgun is its place of manufacture, The later 283 units manufactured in China and the 285HV (Still being made) are low voltage and can safely be operated from any of the trigger sets (Cactus, Skyports, Pocket Wizards etc).

Saying that you can use any flash gun, high or low voltage as long as you put a Wein Safe Sync in between the flash and the trigger set.

Another good thing about the 283/285 flash guns is you can put a Wein peanut optical trigger directly into the sync socket.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks again for the info (y)

The Chinese HV models are dishwasher digital safe, but earlier Japanese and non-HV versions aren't.

Not all non-HV versions have high trigger voltage.

It is a common misunderstanding that the HV flashes have low sync voltage. The HV designation refers to the High Voltage connector which some of these flashes have and is nothing to do with the sync voltage.

Steve.

sorry for the hijack, i have an old vivitar 2500 do i need v2 or v2s triggers?

cheers
joe

Back