Triggering heads

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Just a quickly, is it ok to trigger studio heads using your pop-up flash, or is a hotshoe mounted IR trigger preferable? (I have no sync socket on my camera)

Hot shoe is definitely preferred - there are plenty of cheap ebay triggers with sync sockets that will do the trick :)

Sweet, I've found an interfit IR trigger on WE for £40, is thatabout right? I've no frame of reference on this really!

EDIT: Would something like this work?

A hotshoe flash will work perfectly well (make sure you read your camera manual to find out if you need to turn off a pre-flash).
Just set it on minimum power and either cover up most of the flash with a piece of card, or fit a red gel over the top. A card will reduce the power to the point where it doesn't create a significant extra light source and a red gel will pretty much turn it into an infra red transmitter.

But an infra red transmitter is less than ideal, because it requires (almost) line of sight with the sensor on one of your flash heads, so in some circumstances it won't work.

And a PC adapter/synch cord is very must yesterdays technology - inconvenient and unreliable. Your best bet is a radio trigger, many of the cheap ones cost a lot less than the Chinese IR trigger you found.

Agreed,

When I said ebay triggers I meant wireless ones - have a look for gadget infinity on ebay.

A couple of V2's and adapters work well with my gear - Its not the *best* way of doing it but more than adequate for most jobs :)

Back