Triggers

Name
Yvonne Celestine
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm a beginner and just bought Neewer N1T-S TTL 2.4G 32 Channels transmitter to use with my Sony a58 and Sigma EF - 610 flash. I also bought Neewer receivers just in case cus I'm still trying to figure it all out.
Unfortunately the flash is still not being triggered off camera and I'm wondering if I'm not doing something right or perhaps, it is not compatible with the transmitter.
Would appreciate feedback soon as I may have to return the transmitter should it be incompatible.
Thanks

The flash on its own cannot be triggered by the N1T-S so it will need a receiver of some kind. If you tell us what receivers you bought we might be able to tell you whether they're suitable or not.

Hi, thanks for your reply. The receiver I got is the Neewer 16 Channel Wireless Flash.

Can you provide some more details on the receiver?
Searching for Neewer 16 Channel Wireless Flash I found links to a number of their more basic trigger / receiver sets - which as far as I know are NOT compatible with the N1T-S I'm afraid.

Can you provide some more details on the receiver?
Searching for Neewer 16 Channel Wireless Flash I found links to a number of their more basic trigger / receiver sets - which as far as I know are NOT compatible with the N1T-S I'm afraid.

I'm definitely gutted. So is there any other triggers you can suggest? So I can use my Sigma off camera? Would really appreciate it.

Doing a bit more digging, it looks like the N1T-S is only compatible with specific Neewer Flashes which have built in receivers.

(It looks a lot like the Godox X1T-S (which has a similar restriction, but for Godox equipment - they do do separate receivers, but these are specific to Godox units, so they have a reviver which has a USB connector for some older Godox studio lights, for example))

There are 2 versions of the Sigma EF-610 - is yours the 'Super' or 'ST'?

If it's the Super, the specifications suggest it can be triggered remotely using your pop up flash (set flash to Wireless in the camera menu) - so you don't need a separate receiver / trigger (but may want the flexibility of radio rather than optical triggering)

If it's the ST the you will need separate trigger / receiver for off camera use.

As to what trigger you do want - it does depend on what level of control you want.
If you are happy to control the flash manually, and are happy to set it, put it where you want, then take the shot and just need it to fire, then most generic 'dumb' triggers will work BUT you will need a converter to fit the flash (fro the old Sony iISO shoe) to the more common ISO shoe.

Doing a bit more digging, it looks like the N1T-S is only compatible with specific Neewer Flashes which have built in receivers.

(It looks a lot like the Godox X1T-S (which has a similar restriction, but for Godox equipment - they do do separate receivers, but these are specific to Godox units, so they have a reviver which has a USB connector for some older Godox studio lights, for example))

There are 2 versions of the Sigma EF-610 - is yours the 'Super' or 'ST'?

If it's the Super, the specifications suggest it can be triggered remotely using your pop up flash (set flash to Wireless in the camera menu) - so you don't need a separate receiver / trigger (but may want the flexibility of radio rather than optical triggering)

If it's the ST the you will need separate trigger / receiver for off camera use.

As to what trigger you do want - it does depend on what level of control you want.
If you are happy to control the flash manually, and are happy to set it, put it where you want, then take the shot and just need it to fire, then most generic 'dumb' triggers will work BUT you will need a converter to fit the flash (fro the old Sony iISO shoe) to the more common ISO shoe.

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. The Sigma flash I have is the super and I'm very much aware I can use my camera inbuilt flash to trigger it off camera.

Iv used it several times that way. There are certain times however, when I would like certain effects and a dead on flash in the face of the subject doesn't help me at all. Which is why I opted for triggers. So I won't have to use the inbuilt flash.

The receiver you have, did you get just a receiver, or was a trigger included (as the basic ones are often sold as a set).

If you do have a trigger and receiver, then that should work (IE use the trigger that cam with the receiver), if not, then getting a trigger to match that receiver might be the simplest option.

Do you have a link or a model number for the receiver?

The receiver you have, did you get just a receiver, or was a trigger included (as the basic ones are often sold as a set).

If you do have a trigger and receiver, then that should work (IE use the trigger that cam with the receiver), if not, then getting a trigger to match that receiver might be the simplest option.

Do you have a link or a model number for the receiver?

Both receiver and trigger. Here is the link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...er+trigger&dpPl=1&dpID=51aT4dRn31L&ref=plSrch

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. The Sigma flash I have is the super and I'm very much aware I can use my camera inbuilt flash to trigger it off camera.

Iv used it several times that way. There are certain times however, when I would like certain effects and a dead on flash in the face of the subject doesn't help me at all. Which is why I opted for triggers. So I won't have to use the inbuilt flash.

This puzzles me. Using the inbuilt flash as a trigger to control a remote flash doesn't mean the inbuilt flash is also lighting the subject. The flash control happens by means of coded pre-flashes which happen before the exposure. I often use my pop-up flash to control a remote flash and have never noticed any illumination of the subject from it. However, I note that some people have complained of this effect, but never in enough detail for me to have been able to duplicate it. There's an easy cheap work-around in any case -- simply block the light from the pop-up with an obstacle a little in front of it, such as a business card. The light leaking round the sides won't reach the subject, but will trigger the remote flash.

I wonder if the way you've been using the pop-up to control the remote is by using the actual flash illumination of the subject by the pop-up in normal pop-up illumination mode to control the remote in the fashion of an optical trigger. If that's what you've been doing, then of course the pop-up will be illuminating the subject. But that's not using the TTL control of the remote flash by means of the coded pre-flash system which is the proper way to do it.

I reckon it is just a re-branded Godox X1T-S. Neewer is just a branding exercise, after all. As a result I'd expect the Godox flashes to work with the Neewer transmitter.

OK, those are just a set of 'dumb' triggers.

They simply relay the command to fire to the flash, no control of power, TTL, etc.
You will need an adaptor to fit the Flash onto one of the receivers, set the flash to manual and adjust the power as required.
You will also need to set the camera on manual, and set a shutter speed of 1/160 - aperture as required for the effect (Depth of Field) you want.

This is fine for shots where you have time to set up and work out the right power, but will not work well if you are in a situation where you need to change the light or camera settings quickly.

Unfortunately for that you need TTL triggers, and they need to be Sony specific.

One option would be to keep the N1t-s trigger, and get a matching Neewer flash to use with it (IE a flash with built in receiver).

You could either go for a manual flash (EG https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MS9VB5L?psc=1) - this gives a lot of options with the N1T-S

or for TTL as well https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/ibn/Neew...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=MS88TAKGPAXHJKQK6E91&th=1

You could try using Godox Flashes that are compatible with their X1T-S - as Snapsh0t said, they may well work, but it is a bit of a gamble.

Of course, if you can return both the X1T-S Trigger and the receiver / trigger set and get a full refund, if you decide to go for a more complete system like this are probably better off doing so and getting a Godox Trigger & Flash kit - Godox have an impressive array of options for flash.

This puzzles me. Using the inbuilt flash as a trigger to control a remote flash doesn't mean the inbuilt flash is also lighting the subject. The flash control happens by means of coded pre-flashes which happen before the exposure. I often use my pop-up flash to control a remote flash and have never noticed any illumination of the subject from it. However, I note that some people have complained of this effect, but never in enough detail for me to have been able to duplicate it. There's an easy cheap work-around in any case -- simply block the light from the pop-up with an obstacle a little in front of it, such as a business card. The light leaking round the sides won't reach the subject, but will trigger the remote flash.

I wonder if the way you've been using the pop-up to control the remote is by using the actual flash illumination of the subject by the pop-up in normal pop-up illumination mode to control the remote in the fashion of an optical trigger. If that's what you've been doing, then of course the pop-up will be illuminating the subject. But that's not using the TTL control of the remote flash by means of the coded pre-flash system which is the proper way to do it.

Thanks, I do use the ttl control of the remote flash and the camera is also set to pre-flash system. Will try the business card method and see how it goes. Thanks

I reckon it is just a re-branded Godox X1T-S. Neewer is just a branding exercise, after all. As a result I'd expect the Godox flashes to work with the Neewer transmitter.

Iv tried it several times over but still not working. Thank you for the feedback.

Iv tried it several times over but still not working. Thank you for the feedback.

Yvonne, what Snapsh0t is saying is that the Neewer N1T-S trigger will probably work with a Godox Flashgun which is designed to be triggered by a Godox X1T-S trigger.

The Sigma EF-610 cannot be triggered by it (it's not got a Godox / Neewer receiving built in), and the simple Neewer receiver you have cannot be triggered by it.

OK, those are just a set of 'dumb' triggers.

They simply relay the command to fire to the flash, no control of power, TTL, etc.
You will need an adaptor to fit the Flash onto one of the receivers, set the flash to manual and adjust the power as required.
You will also need to set the camera on manual, and set a shutter speed of 1/160 - aperture as required for the effect (Depth of Field) you want.

This is fine for shots where you have time to set up and work out the right power, but will not work well if you are in a situation where you need to change the light or camera settings quickly.

Unfortunately for that you need TTL triggers, and they need to be Sony specific.

One option would be to keep the N1t-s trigger, and get a matching Neewer flash to use with it (IE a flash with built in receiver).

You could either go for a manual flash (EG https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MS9VB5L?psc=1) - this gives a lot of options with the N1T-S

or for TTL as well https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/ibn/Neew...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=MS88TAKGPAXHJKQK6E91&th=1

You could try using Godox Flashes that are compatible with their X1T-S - as Snapsh0t said, they may well work, but it is a bit of a gamble.

Of course, if you can return both the X1T-S Trigger and the receiver / trigger set and get a full refund, if you decide to go for a more complete system like this are probably better off doing so and getting a Godox Trigger & Flash kit - Godox have an impressive array of options for flash.

I think I will just return both the X1T-S trigger and the other neewer set. Like you said, would be better to get those that will easily sync.
Thank you, very much appreciated

Yvonne, what Snapsh0t is saying is that the Neewer N1T-S trigger will probably work with a Godox Flashgun which is designed to be triggered by a Godox X1T-S trigger.

The Sigma EF-610 cannot be triggered by it (it's not got a Godox / Neewer receiving built in), and the simple Neewer receiver you have cannot be triggered by it.

Ok, got it. So it's either I get a godox / neewer flash gun or I return both the N1T-S trigger and the neewer trigger set.
Well noted. Thank you

Ok, got it. So it's either I get a godox / neewer flash gun or I return both the N1T-S trigger and the neewer trigger set.
Well noted. Thank you

Yes, with the note that you need a Neewer flash unit to be sure it will work with the N1T-S (check the flash listing to see that it is compatible, or find a listing which has both flash and trigger as a pair).

We THINK the Godox flashes designed to work with the Godox X1T-S should work with the Neewer N1T-S - but cannot guarantee it, and Godox have a bigger range than Neewer, so you might be best off returning the N1T-S as well, then buying a Godox Flash + Trigger (X1T-S) set - it might also be cheaper.

Just to add another option to the mix, once you do have a matching trigger + flash set, you will have the option of using both the radio triggered flash and your Sigma flash as a manual slave, but that's something to play with once you've go the Godox / Neewer flash + trigger working.

Back