Triggers

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I saw 2 Yongnuo triggers for sale on eBay at about the price I want to pay. They were both listed as "Transceivers", I thought you needed a controller and a transceiver , so I checked with the seller and was told that you could make one a transceiver and one would be a controller. Surely the one that fits to the flash (for example) should have a top and bottom fixing. At least that is what the 2 I once had had got. Can someone clarify this for me please.

Do you know what model triggers they were? I believe the yn603 ones can be used as as either, but would be manual flash and all changes to flash would have to be made on the
Flash.

The older model Yongnuo 602 units comprised a pair of different units, one solely a transmitter and the other a receiver. The newer 603 incorporates both functions into one unit. You still need at least two of them to operate a camera or flash but the devices are identical. A further advantage is that they all use AAA batteries, whereas the 602 transmitter requires a CR2 - not expensive or difficult to source, but going all AAAs is obviously more convenient.

One other issue is ensuring you purchase the correct connector for your camera, if you wish to use the triggers as a remote shutter release. For example, there are two types of remote/cable release socket on Canon DSLRs, one fitted to entry-level cameras and another on the higher-end models. I use both.

Just for a little more clarity (I hope), strictly speaking a "transceiver" is a device in which the transmitter and receiver circuits share some components. This may be true of the 603 or it may be that it is simply a case containing two distinct circuits, although they share a power supply. It doesn't matter for your purposes anyway.

Short answer is, if you want inexpensive, reliable, "dumb" triggers (not ones that can also alter flash settings) buy as many Yongnuo 603 units as devices you want to trigger plus one to set them off, and ensure you obtain the correct lead if you want to remote trigger your camera.

Last edited:
Do you know what model triggers they were? I believe the yn603 ones can be used as as either, but would be manual flash and all changes to flash would have to be made on the
Flash.
Yes they are YN 622 ETTL.

I have a pair of YN622 triggers for Canon sat in my cupboard doing nothing. Work perfectly but I've changed systems so they are no longer any use to me. You can have them (via the classifieds!) for a lot less than you'd pay for a new pair.

I have a pair of YN622 triggers for Canon sat in my cupboard doing nothing. Work perfectly but I've changed systems so they are no longer any use to me. You can have them (via the classifieds!) for a lot less than you'd pay for a new pair.

How much would you want for them ?.

They seem to be going for £50 per pair. I'd take £25 posted. Still boxed!!!
If you want them start a wanted thread.

They seem to be going for £50 per pair. I'd take £25 posted. Still boxed!!!
If you want them start a wanted thread.

Are they both transceivers or is one a controller. I believe that is what I need. I used to have a Nikon D700 and a YN transceiver and one controller and this system worked perfectly okay.

Yes they are YN 622 ETTL.
There’s 2 flavours of YN622, the transceivers which can be used asboth transmitters and receivers (but require changes to power to be made within the camera menu) and the transmitter, which goes on camera and offers control via its own lcd panel.

In use, it’s much easier to use a transmitter, as using the camera menus is a pain.

Last edited:
There’s 2 flavours of YN602, the transceivers which can be used asboth transmitters and receivers (but require changes to power to be made within the camera menu) and the transmitter, which goes on camera and offers control via its own lcd panel.

In use, it’s much easier to use a transmitter, as using the camera menus is a pain.

Sorry Phil but I am now getting confused, the YN's I am talking about are 622 ETTL . Not looking for anything too complicated, all I want to do is for one (controller ?) to my camera and one to say a transceiver off camera on a tripod.

Sorry Phil but I am now getting confused, the YN's I am talking about are 622 ETTL . Not looking for anything too complicated, all I want to do is for one (controller ?) to my camera and one to say a transceiver off camera on a tripod.
Oops I thought I’d typed 622.
The rest of the post remains correct, we’re talking about the YN622c’s versus a YN622c-TX

Last edited:
Listen to Phil. He knows what he's talking about, or pretends he does(y)

Ideally you need a transmitter on the camera and a receiver under the flash unit. The system works well. You can group your flash guns into groups all with different power settings. I used to use four guns with the one transmitter. No problem at all. Trying to control settings via the camera menu is PIA.

I've sold my transmitter and 2 receivers already so only have 2 receivers left. But {Sales pitch on} once you start OCF you'll soon think about a second flash gun. Buying two now - effectively a BOGOF - will save you money in the long run {Sales pitch off}

Alternatively if all you want to do is just fire one flash gun you could use YN 603. No control or adjustment and no TTL. All flash settings have to be done on the unit, but they work, and are cheap. I still use these even though I'm on Fuji. Been using them this morning!
Two models which only differ in the style of connecting cable. Make sure you get the right one for your camera...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/YONGNUO-Wi...ie=UTF8&qid=1540121647&sr=8-4&keywords=yn-603
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yongnuo-60...e=UTF8&qid=1540121647&sr=8-13&keywords=yn-603

If you want TTL then the 622s are the way to go.

Back