Trio of trails...

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
...all in the one shot.

• Lots of effort invested - took three attempts at the same location until the conditions were favourable;
  • Lots of time spent - this visit alone was nearly two hours on the embankment.

Whaddya reckon :D ?

Time well spent I'd say! Really good effort! :D

Whats the dotted light trails coming out towards us?

Meant to say in the description before I got all excited by my bullet point formatting lol.

Obviously there's traffic (M27) at the bottom, stars up top and the missing element of the trio is the plane trails - somewhat bizarrely this light aircraft kept looping out and back around the Spinnaker Tower on the right hand side of the horizon. Wasn't the police plane; guess it was some sort of mapping or scanning exercise, using the Tower as a landmark.

That's brilliant, those planes look as if they were so low, i love the grid they produced, what was the exposure Andrew ?

Fantastic!!
Not seen many shots with 3 different light trails in before :clap:

Cheers mate, not far from you either.

That's brilliant, those planes look as if they were so low, i love the grid they produced, what was the exposure Andrew ?

Exposure was about an hour made up of consecutive 30second exposures. Mostly the same plane back and forth, pretty low but I only really noticed it on about three passes, the rest of the time it was further away and I was probably checking facebook on my phone to pass the boredom.

wow! its like a scene from TRON or something! lol

great shot, i love it!

This is absolutely fantastic firstly what a great location for normal light trials but my god, what a superb stack I do have one photo that has a plane, motorway and star trails all in the single exposure but mine would be a 1/10 and yours would be a 20/10 ;)

The interest in the background is great, the star trail are fantastic and the plane just adds even more to the overall images.

I will probably be hated for saying this but the horizon is off looks to need about 1 degree clockwise rotation. but this is me being really picky.

Please add this location onto the light trails map.

I have added you on flickr

Matt
MWHCVT

Indeedy (y)

Fancy a meet up sometime?
I'm pretty fond of doing light trails and other evening/night stuff (photography that is :D )

Me too... added both andys and havent been accepted :)

Love the shot, as comented on Flickr...

I will probably be hated for saying this but the horizon is off looks to need about 1 degree clockwise rotation. but this is me being really picky.

Pretty much spot on, but to rotate changes the dynamic of the image and makes the pylon on the lower left third look skewed - an effect of the UWA, but much more noticeable than the horizon.

Great shot, I like it a lot. One thing puzzles me though... I thought all stars in out night sky rotated around the pole star (the North star?) Certainly when I've tried star trails all of the stars have been rotating around a single point. This does not seem to be the case in your shot though, the stars in the foreground appear to be rotating around a point just off the top left corner of the shot, whereas those further into the shot appear to be rotating around a different point...

I'm no star-gazer, so can't even start to offer an explanation... anyone?

(still a cracking shot :))

Great shot, I like it a lot. One thing puzzles me though... I thought all stars in out night sky rotated around the pole star (the North star?) Certainly when I've tried star trails all of the stars have been rotating around a single point. This does not seem to be the case in your shot though, the stars in the foreground appear to be rotating around a point just off the top left corner of the shot, whereas those further into the shot appear to be rotating around a different point...

I'm no star-gazer, so can't even start to offer an explanation... anyone?

(still a cracking shot :))

In essence the earth's axis creates both a northern and southern pole star. The northern one, Polaris, is visible to us but the southern is below our horizon. What we can see, however, is the start of the rotation around it. The straight line upon which the star trails appear to diagonally dissect my image is known as the celestial equator, falling as it does between the two poles.

It was shot looking south east. Had I been facing south west the celestial equator would have dropped from top left to bottom right, as below.

A few more of my star trails here

Ah right!!

'Online' time is going to be pretty limited for a while now, due to a new edition to the Fozzy family.
But as soon as things settle down, let's have a get together somewhere.

I'm sure Tom (stokes) is up for it (y)

Also a keen night owl. Live off J8 m27 but used to live in fareham and gosport! :)
Loving this shot. So much going on but not distracting! (y)

Awesome shot - really good - can't beleive the amount of detail on it! :D

Back