Trip to Malaysia and SSPAM - thoughts on kit?

Edit My Images
Yes
I will be going to Malaysia this weekend for 3 weeks.
I'll be taking the following, any other recommendations:
- Canon 1d, 70-200 F4L, 17-40F4L, 50mm F1.8, 1.4x extender, 12mm macro rings
- Mini-tripod
- Raincover
- Spare NP-E3 battery and charger
- 12GB of cards (enough space for around 2300 photos)
- Appropriately comfortable rucksack for the camera and hiking gear for me

I know that my camera is weather sealed with the 17-40 mounted on it, but I guess I can use the raincover aswell if required.

Any other recommendations?

tis very hot, very damp there
temp in the 30s and RH 100%
and when it rains - it rains
worth getting some silica gel to dry the kit out at night
and if you stay somewhere with aircon - expect everything to mist up until it warms up

having said that - there's some spectacular scenery
the people are very friendly (but I did find them "less than enthusiastic about work" on occasions!)

you've got a wide angle for the scenery and moderate telephoto for the close stuff - looks good to me

Are you going specifically for the photography? if not I'd forget all the extra kit and just take the camera, 17-40, memory and charger. Maybe the long lens too if you're sure you'll use it.

I went there many years ago with a film SLR and had a great time.
You've a lot more kit than I had then.

Normal rules apply. Keep it dry. Let it acclimatise. Dont change lenses in a dust storm

I'm expecting to do a combination of city shots (KL, Kuching), then scenery and wildlife. Given the option I'd also take a 400mm, but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the additional weight.
Having said that, I believe we'll have a car available for a lot of the time.

The primary objective is a holiday, but with some definite photo moment along the way.

I'd go with what Mike has said about the silica gel, it is very humid in that part of the world. I'd also take some ziplock plastic bags to put the camera in when going into a cool aircon room from outside, seal the camera in the bag for about half an hour - it prevents condensation forming inside the lens and body.

make sure you visit "Lot 10" in KL... there are loads of electronics goodies to be had in there :)

Just a quick question....
How does it work when you go on a trip like that......normally the airliners only let you take a few kilos as a hand luggage......How do you take a backpack full of equip.?

Just a quick question....
How does it work when you go on a trip like that......normally the airliners only let you take a few kilos as a hand luggage......How do you take a backpack full of equip.?

I don't remember ever having my hand luggage checked for weight. Earlier this year I was in Venice, with a bag probably slightly heavier with no issues.

I don't remember ever having my hand luggage checked for weight. Earlier this year I was in Venice, with a bag probably slightly heavier with no issues.
Be very careful. How much you're allowed to take on the plane varies enormously from one airline to another, and some of them are quite fussy about enforcement.

I recommend you check and double-check what your particular airline(s) will allow as carry-on baggage, and also check whether there are any country-specific constraints which over-ride what the airlines would normally allow.

There is a very good carry-on baggage reference guide here.

Be very careful. How much you're allowed to take on the plane varies enormously from one airline to another, and some of them are quite fussy about enforcement.

I recommend you check and double-check what your particular airline(s) will allow as carry-on baggage, and also check whether there are any country-specific constraints which over-ride what the airlines would normally allow.

There is a very good carry-on baggage reference guide here.

That's what I tought!!!!!
Every time I go to Brazil for example.....the limit is 6 kilos with BA.....I am asking because next time I go, I want to take my gear.........(y)

I will be going to Malaysia this weekend for 3 weeks.
I'll be taking the following, any other recommendations:
- Canon 1d, 70-200 F4L, 17-40F4L, 50mm F1.8, 1.4x extender, 12mm macro rings
- Mini-tripod
- Raincover
- Spare NP-E3 battery and charger
- 12GB of cards (enough space for around 2300 photos)
- Appropriately comfortable rucksack for the camera and hiking gear for me

I know that my camera is weather sealed with the 17-40 mounted on it, but I guess I can use the raincover aswell if required.

Any other recommendations?

Looks like you're all set, Mr_Sukebe. Have you got the correct adapter plug to connect the charger to the grid? And you don't list an external flash gun. Aren't you going to take one?
And I think you may need more memory cards, unless you have broadband access to the internet. Do you?

Looks like you're all set, Mr_Sukebe. Have you got the correct adapter plug to connect the charger to the grid? And you don't list an external flash gun. Aren't you going to take one?
And I think you may need more memory cards, unless you have broadband access to the internet. Do you?

I do have the adapter and a 430ex flash. Forgot about mentioning that because of how little use it gets.
The last couple of times I've been away, I've not used more than 1200 shots. If I get close to the 2300 mark, I'll go find a friendly internet shop and burn some data to DVD.

Hi Mr_Sukebe,
Nice to see you here as opposed to the more normal forum where we meet. I see that you are going to SSPAM, where else in Malaysia are you going? I ask because you can get photo gear for quite good prices in any major town in Malaysia ( and you can haggle with them as well, no matter how glitzy the shop). Also things like memory etc. should be readily available. Also mains plugs are normally the same as UK.
Have a good trip.
Raphael

I went to Malaysia and Borneo last August and your kit seems to cover all scenarios. Plenty of photo ops where ever you go!

I've got a few malaysia shots on my website to get you in the mood!! Click!

Hi Mr_Sukebe,
Nice to see you here as opposed to the more normal forum where we meet. I see that you are going to SSPAM, where else in Malaysia are you going? I ask because you can get photo gear for quite good prices in any major town in Malaysia ( and you can haggle with them as well, no matter how glitzy the shop). Also things like memory etc. should be readily available. Also mains plugs are normally the same as UK.
Have a good trip.
Raphael

My missus has relatives in Johor Bahru, KL, further north close to Ipoh and in the middle around Jeraunto (or however it's spelt). In addition, I have friends in Singapore. So I'm expecting to travel around the Malaysian mainland by car quite a lot.
Have to say that I did look at electronics last time I was there, and wasn't too impressed with the prices. US prices seem to be a lot better.

My parents live in Penang and I am part Malaysian. I have found International pricing to be a strange thing which is greatly affected (I guess) by local issues. Over the years of regularly travelling to USA, Japan, mainland Europe and the Far East, it seems that some things were available very cheaply whilst other things were really very expensive compared to UK. It would all be rather random and difficult to predict.

Back