Trip to New York, questions!

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
We're off for a long weekend next week to New York and wondering the best way to get from JFK to Manhattan. There's four of us going, so taxi could be an option but wondering the easiest way if we take public transport.

How's the data useage over there, I'm on Vodaphone which I believe costs me £6 per day, the Wife's on EE which looks a lot more pricey - wondering what wifi availability and such like is.

And of course, lastly, any great tips for what we need to see that's not so well known :)

Cheers

It's a decade since I visited, but there was a underground (well, mostly overground) train from the airport direct into Manhattan for $5 then. Took about an hour from memory and went to Penn st station. Since I was staying at the Penn hotel on the next block that was convenient.

It's 2 decades since I was taken there for a weekend, but we always regretted not taking a limo from the airport - back then it didn't cost much more than a yellow taxi, and might have added a little something to the trip (I am not the type who would usually like that sort of flash stuff)
A yellow taxi has to be on the list of things to do too.
Go hungry - it was my first time in the States, and we ate so much.

Other than that I can't help, but have fun !

I think it is good to get the train into Manhattan, it's pretty easy and a good cultural experience. Also, and importantly, it means you know the route back as often the roads back are terrible and a taxi can easily take 90 minutes or more and it is unpredictable so often it is better to plan to get the train back to JFK.

We did the train/subway last year and it was easy, cheap, and actually quite fun (JFK).

Foodwise, ShackShack is good and cheap, the highlight was Los Tacos in Chelsea Market - lots of good and interesting places but this was amazing tacos and cheap too.

Took the wife there a couple of years ago.

We got the Long Island Rail Road from Jamaica (the airport train stops there) into Penn St. Bit of confusion over tickets and ended up paying on the train - cost about double the fare, but was only about $15.

You can get a data only sim that will be cheaper than Vodaphone's £6 a day

Lots of tariffs include USA in roaming. With 3. My data plan works as it would in uk and calling home is inclusive minutes

I’m on three and it was all included just like home. I went for my third time in January this year. Get a cab from the airport, it’s less faff. On the way back you could get a limo/cab bus or train, you will have found your feet by then.

Hot dogs by the roadside are amazing. Proper food, well, there’s sooooo much choice.

There’s a great burger place at the base of the rockerfella centre. An amazing Italian just off time square. Use trip advisor it will tell you the best of what’s nearby.

If you can’t sort data, just go into Starbucks and use their free WiFi, there’s one every 50m :)

Enjoy it, I’m jealous.

Not long since got back - ok, about 6 weeks ago. We go every couple of years. the last was our 4th trip there.

You'll be fine - remember, no signal on the subway. Although TBH, you'll probably walk everywhere when possible. This last trip we used the subway more, but only because we was going "afar" so to speak lol

Thanks for all the advice guys. Great stuff all round. We're really looking forward to the trip, not done NYC before so should be really great.

We did NYC a while back. Took the yellow taxi from the airport to our hotel. It cost $65 or thereabouts. Probably 90mins.

For sightseeing, get a map up and mark off landmarks that you want to do then group them by proximity. Rockefeller and Statue of Liberty are best booked in advance.

Subway - get a metro card and download an app to tell you which line to take where.

Recently returned from NYC. We did a taxi from JFK to about 3 blocks away from times sq. cost me $80 including tip. There is a set fare from jfk to Manhattan of about £65 dollars then a small additional tax if I recall correctly. The traffic was bad in the way into Manhattan but the view on the way in is a sight to behold!
We went up TOTR, there are 3 excellent viewing platforms which make getting a skyline shot very easy - be aware airport style bag checks on the way in to the viewing areas.
Central Park - amazing place - massive! We got a 30min bike ride tour, our rider was amazing and despite being sceptical at first as you think you are getting fleeced it was worth the $80 or so dollars it cost for that - 2adults and 2 kids on the bike.
YouTube ‘Roxy’s stardust diner’ - if that is your thing then do it- amazing place to eat and totally unique. Don’t go in Planet Hollywood on Times Square - worst meal we had. As someone else has said Chelsea Market is excellent for food and drink. I could go on and on! Let me know if you need any more info.

We did NYC a while back. Took the yellow taxi from the airport to our hotel. It cost $65 or thereabouts. Probably 90mins.

For sightseeing, get a map up and mark off landmarks that you want to do then group them by proximity. Rockefeller and Statue of Liberty are best booked in advance.

Subway - get a metro card and download an app to tell you which line to take where.

Good point, getting inside the statue gets booked up ages in advance. Do the Rockerfeller deal which gets you day and night access.

Taxi from the airport is a fixed cost. Was $56 last new year. I'd take that as you get some interesting sights.
Also ask your hotel what price they have for the return. We paid the same for a Lincoln limo to take us back

Trip to statue of liberty, we booked a tour, not much more was well worth it for the additional info and also to state island. We booked the day before through trip advisor.

We took the shuttle bus into the city and then taxi back, unfortunately, that day there was a parade and almost miss our flight!

Food there can get crazy expensive but there are a lot of nice eats to be had at reasonable prices. Food in China town is actually very authentic, we had lunch and paid like £7 total.

As for Data usage, if one of your are on 3 then it is free to use. Wifi will be found in Starbucks but don't rely on it. Although the city is a grid, all you need is a paper map from the hotel and you can't get lost.

What annoyed me is you are expected to tip like 15% on top of everything so making a £80 bill to like £100, as they don't really give you change unless you have the exact bills. Also expected to tip the maid a few dollars by leaving it on the side every morning. It's not a deal breaker but in the back of my mind i am constantly paying more than I am expected to is a bit annoying.

What plan are you on with Vodafone?
US roaming is included on mine.

And, I day this every time...walk the High Line! :)

What annoyed me is you are expected to tip like 15% on top of everything so making a £80 bill to like £100, as they don't really give you change unless you have the exact bills. Also expected to tip the maid a few dollars by leaving it on the side every morning. It's not a deal breaker but in the back of my mind i am constantly paying more than I am expected to is a bit annoying.
Yes tips and sales tax. In places, we'd get the bill and it would add in suggested tip amounts.

And, I day this every time...walk the High Line! :)
The highline is lovely. You can start from Chelsea Markets and walk the highline, or do the opposite and have a meal in the markets.

Tips were 18, 20 and 22% suggested amounts on the bills when we went.

Food - Korea Town - cook it on the table as you eat.
164803814.jpg

164803813.jpg

By ground zero, got to the irish bar close to the old fire station. Ask to see their memorial book
164803825.jpg

164803827.jpg

A few years since I've been now (5), but I did the taxi in and the metro back to the airport (JFK).

If you like Pizza, I highly recommend Grimaldi's which is under the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side. Eat there, then walk down to the river for an amazing viewpoint of downtown NYC with the old pier supports as a nice lead in.

The tipping in the US is ridiculous, in my opinion. Some waiters do the bare minimum and expect a 20% tip because they know people feel they should give that. Also expect to be patronised by some waiting staff because as a Brit you will be deemed as a poor tipper in advance, I've had some tell me how much I should be tipping. But remember it's not compulsory if they get too preachy, I go with the nothing at all option!

Anyway. Do make sure you explore Central Park to it's limit. Such a beautiful place. If you have time, walk the High Line.

Highlights from my trip in 2009. Top of the Rock (better than Empire State and less crowded), Radio City theatre, Intrepid, Guggenheim, Central Park, boat tour around Manhattan etc etc....

We ate most of our lunches and breakfasts in Deli's - can't be faulted. No problems finding restaurants in the evening.

We did walk our socks off - even on a hot August day - but did use taxis extensively but wasn't too expensive - the most we paid was to go to B&H....of course one must go to B&H. Shuttle bus to Hotel, Lincoln Town Car to JFK - not exhorbitant, quite a nice experience.

'bout time we went back...

Not sure if you've left yet, but in case you read this before you go, make sure you get to places early!

We turned up at the ferry for the Statue of Liberty about 2pm and the queue was about 2 hours long. It was a huge queue that would take you five or ten minutes just to reach the end of. We left and came back early next morning (about 8.30) and there was no queue at all. Just walked straight up to the ferry and got on. The Empire State building was the same, got there nice and early and there were no queues.

Back