Beginner trip to Ypres...

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
As title says im of to Ypres for a battlefield tour at the end of the month. Im a member of the Army reserves and my battalion are doing a weekend tour, and i have been asked to take some pics but im unsure which lens to take as i want to travel light.
My options are

Nikon D700
or
Nikon D300
+
35mm f1.8
24-120mm f3.5
70-200mm f2.8

Any ideas on good shots if anyone has been before.

Thanks
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I'd go with the D700 and the 24-120, and the 35mm f1.8 if you have space. You're going to want wide rather than long I think... Fast might be handy since it may be overcast / poor weather.

I love Ypres - haven't been for a few years though. Not sure if they're the sort of thing you're after, but there are some of my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jez_b/sets/72157622036048708/

Look forward to seeing your results!

Cheers,

Jez.

wide would be good in trenches I guess, might want to pack some tissues too

a old box camera might give you some interesting pics

Some form of camera sleeve as the original trenches are damp.

There's an excellent re-creation trench in Passchendaele.

A 10 stop ND will remove the crowds at Tyne Cot.

And get to the Menin Gate at least an hour early to grab a spot at the end away from town for the nightly ceremony.

Hi Kevin,

I'd go with the D700 and the 24-120, and the 35mm f1.8 if you have space. You're going to want wide rather than long I think... Fast might be handy since it may be overcast / poor weather.

I love Ypres - haven't been for a few years though. Not sure if they're the sort of thing you're after, but there are some of my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jez_b/sets/72157622036048708/

Look forward to seeing your results!

Cheers,

Jez.
Wow there a cracking set of pics, no pressure on mine now thanks.. will try my best

Some form of camera sleeve as the original trenches are damp.

There's an excellent re-creation trench in Passchendaele.

A 10 stop ND will remove the crowds at Tyne Cot.

And get to the Menin Gate at least an hour early to grab a spot at the end away from town for the nightly ceremony.

No 10 stopper so need to try and source one asap. Thanks for advice and commment

wide would be good in trenches I guess, might want to pack some tissues too

a old box camera might give you some interesting pics

My dads got an old box camera I think so will need to borrow, never thought about that so thank you for tip and comment.

wasn't planning on taking a tripod so that's out then.

Wow there a cracking set of pics, no pressure on mine now thanks.. will try my best

Thanks Kevin! To be honest, I've never had much inspiration in the actual battlefields - the most recent visit was to the Canadian trenches near the Vimy Ridge memorial. Didn't get a single shot I was happy with... :(

Be interested to see what you come back with!

I'm sure you'll have a great experience there - it's a very moving place, and one which makes you seriously think...

We are specifically going to look at the battlefields that our fore fathers, the Suffolk Regiment fought. I appreciate its going to be a whistle stop tour, but hopefully long enough to get some time to take a few pics.

Back