Tripod advice please...

B

bobtastic

Hellooooo,

Right, I've never really understood why some tripods are expensive and some are dirt cheap.

I imagine it's because some of them are built better and are able to hold camera with massive lenses on the front?

Anyway, as I'm just a beginner (if that), I'm after a tripod but I have no idea what to buy...

My camera is an Oly E-510, and the largest lens I have is the 40-150mm.
Can anyone please give me any advise on this please?

Bearing in mind I'm on a budget here. I don't really want to spend more than £25. (Is that enough for a newbie? :shrug:)

Also....I'm after a polariser and a Neutral Density filter...
Can you tell me if these are fine?
Jessops 58mm Pro circular polariser
Either a Kood or a Hoya ND filter. Is ND4 enough for taking waterfall pics?)

Thanks in advance!

djs [arghhh, sorry I've accidently made this post on an old TP account, stupid cookies eh? ]:embarrassed:

Hi bobtastic

I am no expert when it comes to tripods, in fact, come to think about it I'm no expert when it comes to photopgraphy either... :)

However, whichever make or model you decide to go for, and for your filters and any additional lenses you soon decide to buy, whatever you do - you must contact Kerso on here. Ian (username = kerso) is a long standing member here who can source all your lens, filter and accessory needs - especially for your Oly E-510. How do I know...? well, I have an Oly E-510 and have bought loads from Ian. He is also 99.9% of the time, a lot cheaper than other suppliers.

So, welcome to tp - you've done good by coming here - look out those on the dark side, Oly users are increasing in numbers... :):)

The expensive tripods are well made and will last a long long time. They will be sturdy and capable of taking heavy lenses. They will be a joy to use. Some may be carbon fibre or similarly advanced materials so are very strong, let very light.

A cheap tripod will be the opposite in most cases. Lower build quality, plastic fittings rather than metal, heavier yet with a lower load capability and shorter life span.

However...

Velbon tripods are quite cheap and fall somewhere between the "crummy and a total waste of money" and the "how much did you spend on a tripod?" markets. I've just bought a Manfrotto 190XPROB though.

However...

Velbon tripods are quite cheap and fall somewhere between the "crummy and a total waste of money" and the "how much did you spend on a tripod?" markets. I've just bought a Manfrotto 190XPROB though.

I currently use a Velbon 450R with a digiscoping setup, my equipment weight is not high, about 2.5Kg, but I find it pretty steady even using at a comparative focal length of 10,000mm, so no complaints for the price.

Back