Tripod advice please.

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

I have a reasonable tripod at the 'mo, from my old SLR days. It was good then, but not so good now. I do suffer at times with a sore back, and so I need a tripod that extends to a good 5 and a half feet or so at max. as I can't be doing with all that stooping mullarkey! I'd also like it to be versatile enough to go real low for macro & landscape use. Possibly asking for two different beasts, I know, but if there is such a versatile animal, please let me know?

Could the house suggest some decent makes for me?

TIA

for height and stability you could conisder the manfrotto 055 range, they can get quite low to ground, and the higher spec ones have the manfrotto flip out to the side centre column jobs which can help getting low.

the basic models have a split centre column so you can still get the head very low - i think its around 8" minimum height

i just me one of those and am very impressed, with legs fully extended i have to stand on tip toe to use view finder, and i am just shy of 5'10" tall

i also considered the slik 700 pro which was just a tad shorter but more compact for transporting IIRC

Cheers Andy. I'll have a look at the Manfrotto range and see what they've got. I'm 6'1" myself, so need something that'll get up there to a comfy position.

take a look at the manfrotto 190 XproB and the 055 XproB, the 055 is bigger than the 190.

What sort of budget you looking at? Suprised you didn't suggest a Gitzo Wez. Le Chant, Gitazo make some very good and very strong tripods, but they do come at a price. Worth considering though if you are willing to 'splash a bit of cash' on quality. :)

coz not a lot of people are prepared to spend £300 and up on a set of legs - i just got lucky with mine :D

Looking at spending the least amount of dosh possible as it'll more than likely be the only Crimbo pressie I get from the missus! Seriously, I know I should be looking at a quality set of legs, but I can't face parting with £300! More like £100 - tops!

Looking at spending the least amount of dosh possible as it'll more than likely be the only Crimbo pressie I get from the missus! Seriously, I know I should be looking at a quality set of legs, but I can't face parting with £300! More like £100 - tops!

£100 will get you a manfrotto 190XDB set of legs complete with a 390RC2 head, google i :)

I can definitely recommend the 190xproB - will almost certainly reach the height you require - probably just at it's top height limit. But for the macro capabilities it's second to non.

My review of the legs is in the review section from around july. Have a read.

for height and stability you could conisder the manfrotto 055 range, they can get quite low to ground, and the higher spec ones have the manfrotto flip out to the side centre column jobs which can help getting low.

the basic models have a split centre column so you can still get the head very low - i think its around 8" minimum height

i just me one of those and am very impressed, with legs fully extended i have to stand on tip toe to use view finder, and i am just shy of 5'10" tall

055 pro Max height 68" plus head, lowest height -8" plus head

How tall are you Le Chant? Ive got a 190xproB and im just over 6'1" and I hve to stoop a little unfortunately. To get to a reasonable height with the 190xproB you also have to extend the centre column which greatly reduces its stability. My vote would go with the 055 pro instead.

I'm around the 6' 1" mark myself. Short of digging a hole, I have to stoop, which (especially in the cold) plays havoc with the old lumbar regions. So, the higher the better really. Not having seen the Manfrotto range, I'm relying on webshots as well as you good people!

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Liked the look of 7day shop but unfortunately they don't have an option for creating my account from my home in France! Shame!

Back