Tripod Advise

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm fairly new to the DSLR world and am looking to buy a Tripod for my upcoming visit to the Canadian Rockies and Yellowstone National Park. Mainly for landscape photography (can't afford the big lenses for wildlife yet!!!)

I currently have a fairly cheap Velbon Tripod that I have used with my compact, but I'm not sure it's up to the job, although I like its compact size and weight.

I would like to hear your advise on tripods that are easy to carry around the Rockies, ideally folding small enough to strap to a Tamrac adventure 9.

Also any advise on heads would be appreciated, I would like a quick change plate/shoe

I have looked at the REDSNAPPER site and they look good, but need more advise about a head options please

I have a budget of about £100 by the way
Thanks in advance :banana:

I would recommend a Manfrotto 190XPROB as a good starter tripod. I did some searching around the forums and asked questions before I bought mine and I have been pleased with it. £84 without a head might put it out of your price range though.

For a head I would say that you don't need a 'ball head' if you're planning to shoot landscapes as you won't need a quick change in setup and you may want something more stable. I got a Manfrotto 460MG and it is perfectly suited to my needs and doesn't take up much space.

Does put you over budget unfortunately but I can't personally comment on any other kit.

Have fun on your trip!

have you tried the manfrotto website, im sure there lots of options, but it seems mostly down to personal choice and the size of the kit your planning to use on it.

Thanks for the advise, I like the look into the manfrotto 190XPROB. and its payday tomorrow so can probably stretch the budget a bit. Any more adivse would be welcomed before I hit the shops at the weekend.

I have the Red snapper Tripod and Ball Head which i find excellent, i carry it on my Tamrac adventure 9 by placing 2 of the legs in one of the mesh pockets on the side and a small bungee around the top attached to the handle on top of the rucksack.

I like the Redsnapper tripod, but not sure about the ball head, as I am primarily interested in Landscapes and waterfalls. Has anyone used the Redsnapper with a different head ?

Hello mate, I have got the older Manfrotto 190 pro. Its great, very stable but quite light in good tripod range. I got a ball head with it and I like it, it gives you more flexibility when composing shots then a 3 way head. Just need to be careful about aligning horizons!

Back