Tripod bag dilemma

Name
Linda
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks. I have just upgraded my tripod to a 055CXPRO. I will, from time to time, put a Wimberley Head on it. I know the length combined is 88cm. What concerns me is the diameter of the head. I am thinking the MBAG100PN 100cm padded bag might do the trick. But will it be wide enough? Can’t find the width dimensions anywhere. Does anybody have this combination and a bag that works, please?

I can't help with your specific tripod but a Gitzo GC5101 padded case will take 98cm including a Wimberley head.

I used to have a 055CXPRO 4 section tripod that I used with the cheaper beike gimbal head. That fitted fine width and length wise. You are aware the manfrotto padded bags are huge (it would be worth viewing one if you can before buying). I only ever used it for storage in the car boot or at home. I never took the tripod out in the bag, it would have been far too cumbersome to carry with a backpack.

I think I had the 90cm bag (I sold mine on here so the details will be in the sales archives). I’ve since moved to a f stop tripod bag as it can be strapped to the side of my backpack. I have made a padded insert out of a cheap camping matt and tape. That way I can take out the padding if I don’t want the extra weight or size of the padding. The f stop bag has a roll top so can fit any size tripod/head combo lengthways and any excess material on the diameter can be folded up when it’s strapped to the side of the bag.

Thanks. I can’t use a backpack and it would be a question of carrying it to a hide at Slimbridge more often than not. Before this, it was on a smaller Manfrotto and it was very awkward as the end of the bag would not zip up. I will look at the Gitzo bag but fear I might need to take out a loan.

Anymore suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks again.

I have an 190CXPRO with a three-way geared head and bought an unpadded 80cm Manfrotto bag for it. To be honest I just don't get on with the bag, it just doesn't sit right when I carry it either on shoulder or across my chest, it's very awkward and doesn't hang or balance well. Thought it was me as I have a smallish frame with narrow shoulders so lent it to a friend who's bigger built than me with a view to selling it to her. She found it cumbersome too. I dread to think what the larger padded bag would be like.

So once you've found a bag you like the look of, it's well worth viewing as Rob suggests and also trying it out in the shop if you can.

I have used a Manfrotto padded bag with the large Manfrotto 058 tripod and find it actually not only fits with a three way head attached but is comfortable and well balanced on the shoulder. Easier than carrying the tripod alone by itself. If I am out and about I actually prefer to have this with me as it absolutely does the job and has an internal pocket for paperwork too!

I use one of these for my Manfrotto 055CXPRO3. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lomo-Extra-Long-Dry-Bag-Drybag-for-Rifle-Tripod-Tent/262082652988 I fold over the dry end, then fold it over and do up the clips around the tripod. When I hang it from the side of my backpack I put the backpack strap through the gap where it's folded over so it can't possibly fall through. It is quite a bit wider than the tripod but I find it works best for me.
18cm diameter isn't going to encase a Wimberley head.

Back