Tripod/Bipod for beginner

Yeah, that's the thing, all the reviews are good. Guess I can easily send it back if I get it through Amazon Prime. It'll be a starter kit, so I can always upgrade to better kit in the future if it's necessary.

What are you planning to mount on the tripod? A small body and lens might be ok but anything hefty might be an issue.

There's a lot to be said for this article: http://bythom.com/support.htm and getting the very best you can afford from the outset. But then again, £40 won't break the bank and dropping £500 on a tripod that's overengineered for your requirements is equally bonkers!

Just a little old D7200 with small-ish lens :). £40 is nothing these days, and can always be kept as a spare if I upgrade.

I have a cheap (~£40) small travel tripod which I use quite a lot and it has survived all kinds of abuse. The thing I would point out is that the double centre column is not the best and this is what the specification is relying on to get something like 500 to 600mm of height so if you want your camera up at 6 foot off the ground, I wouldn’t get a cheap tripod. However if you are prepared to bend down then it’s not a problem. On this tripod I mainly only use the first two or three leg sections also, it’s about using the right tool for the job, cheap, light, don’t mind wrecking it.

You can always use it as a flash stand when you get a better one.

......... £40 is nothing these days, and can always be kept as a spare if I upgrade.

£40 nothing ... lucky you [ says he on a pension....:(....]

you WILL upgrade .. gofor a better one now and enjoy it

The Redsnapper are a good value for money option.

I rarely use mine tbh but it's cheap enough and certainly sturdy enough for my uses.

Just a little old D7200 with small-ish lens :). £40 is nothing these days, and can always be kept as a spare if I upgrade.

You will probably end up with several tripods over time anyway. There isn't one made that is suitable for all situations.
Have used a friends Q666 and was quite impressed with it during the short time I had it and am even considering adding one to my collection, which currently stands at 5 tripods.
There are a few different models produced by QZSD (dont ask me to spell the chinese version:)) which get rebranded and come with different names on.
There are slight differences between the models, like twist or lever lock legs, ballhead or pan and tilt, aluminium or carbon fibre to name a few options.
They are much the same design though, so also worth checking the Q555, Q666, Q888 and Q999 to see which fits your requirements better.

Ordered the Q666, get it Saturday. Hope it's ok as I want the monopod for Monday when we go banger racing .

Ordered the Q666, get it Saturday. Hope it's ok as I want the monopod for Monday when we go banger racing .

Should be fine, the only reservation I would have is using it in the sea, probably wouldn't last long with regular exposure to saltwater and sand. That's a real tripod killer.

Back