Tripod bits!

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
So I have three tripods - one just a day old and all are BROKEN!

No 1. Rollei for £40 from the photography show. Legs seemed OK and good sturdy weight, leg locks made out of metal, but the head attachment and centre column turned out to be total turd. So much for listed 14kg weight support. It failed in 3 places after attaching (sort of) manfrotto 410 head. The coloumn top is in fact too small for any manfrotto head and needs more than 1 screw. It is a total joke. I can only guess their CF expensive line is no better in that regard.
So I need a new centre column from another well made tripod. Manfrotto ones aren't perfect fit but at least go in with some damage. I have a spare shortened one somewhere so I might go that route if all else fails.

No 2. Old Gitzo ebay special. Heavy and built well except leg lock threads are made of crap plastic and all broke. Any idea of some generic replacement options please? It would be a shame to throw it out.

No 3. My 3rd Manfrotto 190xprob. All corroded through and the centre column disintegrated in my hands! At least it didn't happen outdoors with the camera on. Would you believe manfrotto sells them for £72 - almost the price of whole tripod?! The rubber leg caps and new locks would swing the balance way over. It is headed for the spares bin this time and I'm not having another this time!

No 4. Manfrotto 410 head. One of the small internal springs broke. I may ask manfrotto but I fear they will ask for £72+PP or more!!! Will have to buy another I think.

Last edited:
We had a bit of a run in a few years ago on maintenance of camera kit, at the time i think it was lee filters falling through the holder and breaking. I still think that lack of a maintenance regime leads to big risk for kit but it’s a choice we all make.

No 1- if just bought then tell them and get money back. If you’ve forced a non rollei column in then they might tell you to go away but brand new shouldn’t fail. Personally would question new £40 tripod.

No 2- gitzo tripod leg locks arent made of crap plastic. If they’ve been abused by the original user and overtightened or left with solvents or sand in the bits then they might fail. This one is probably worth stripping down, buy oem replacement parts and rebuilding. Should last a lifetime if well maintained.

No 3- centre column resting. Back to maintenance and cleaning. You’ve decided s&r but have a good look at legs, locks, etc before reusing anything.

No 4- 410 head. I’ve got 2 of these because i managed to knock over tripod and damage head. Was a real,problem and one of the gears had stuck so it was off for an expensive repair but i bought another to tide me over and now have 2. Recently noted the qr plate slipping. If this is your problem then Really simple repair and the spring is about £6-7 plus p&p from manfrotto. Bloody expensive for a spring but a lot less than their repair cost. Theres a couple of you tube videos showing how to put it together.

No 2. Old Gitzo ebay special. Heavy and built well except leg lock threads are made of crap plastic and all broke. Any idea of some generic replacement options please? It would be a shame to throw it out.

I have a series 2 Gitzo tripod, which is nearly 40 years old, and has been heavily used, not just for photography, but also with a telescope for birdwatching. It has never been serviced, and still works fine, in spite of been badly treated, and looking pretty awful with lots of paint worn away. I've worked with several old gitzo tripods over the years, and I think you may have been unlucky with yours, and that buying the official gitzo spare parts should be worth the money.

We had a bit of a run in a few years ago on maintenance of camera kit, at the time i think it was lee filters falling through the holder and breaking. I still think that lack of a maintenance regime leads to big risk for kit but it’s a choice we all make.

No 1- if just bought then tell them and get money back. If you’ve forced a non rollei column in then they might tell you to go away but brand new shouldn’t fail. Personally would question new £40 tripod.

No 2- gitzo tripod leg locks arent made of crap plastic. If they’ve been abused by the original user and overtightened or left with solvents or sand in the bits then they might fail. This one is probably worth stripping down, buy oem replacement parts and rebuilding. Should last a lifetime if well maintained.

No 3- centre column resting. Back to maintenance and cleaning. You’ve decided s&r but have a good look at legs, locks, etc before reusing anything.

No 4- 410 head. I’ve got 2 of these because i managed to knock over tripod and damage head. Was a real,problem and one of the gears had stuck so it was off for an expensive repair but i bought another to tide me over and now have 2. Recently noted the qr plate slipping. If this is your problem then Really simple repair and the spring is about £6-7 plus p&p from manfrotto. Bloody expensive for a spring but a lot less than their repair cost. Theres a couple of you tube videos showing how to put it together.

1. I think they will tell me to go away. The price was really good and like I said the leg part looks very solid at least for now, but it all comes down to very badly designed column that is only suitable for very small head with compact camera. I wouldn't mind a hybrid modified setup as long as it works.

3. There is not much cleaning or maintenance you can with the inner workings of manfrotto centre column. Some moisture got in and over time killed the Magnesium (which is a very reactive metal) components. I more surprised with the prices of new one.

4. It's the spring that controls the release lever. I have to move it by hand now and it the whole thing just about stays in place - too risky! I will ask them about the part but in general mine is not as stiff as it once was so a new one is not such a bad idea.

What do you to your tripods? I am still using mine from 2000! A manfrotto 055pro.

I'm a landscape and RE photographer and use tripod 90% of the time. Our work profiles and shooting styles are the polar opposites so hopefully that will explain why my tripod sees 10X more action and suffers a lot more from air moisture, cold and heat, etc... Still it is not an excuse to make parts of magnesium or thin plastic.

I bought a C/F Chinese one from one of the ex jessops shops that went private ,the legs are fine with twist locks ,its quite sturdy and over 6 foot fully extended but the tripod head and centre column were problem areas from the start so I threw away the centre column inserted a long tripod thread bolt though it and from underneath bolted it all down tight with a large washer ,then to stop any un-needed movement drilled and inserted a couple of stainless self tappers into the head then turned it upside down and applied copious amounts of liquid metal to the whole underside of the top plate . it won't win any beauty contests but it works well ,is very sturdy and also I have ditched a lot of unneeded weight so its also very light .

We’re back to maintenance. Mine was similar, just things loosening up. Have a look at this, if you or a friend are halfway competent with some handtools you might find it’s not a replacement part or head thats required but a bit of tlc

https://www.justinminns.co.uk/blog/2017/7/10/manfrotto-410-junior-geared-head-repair

This is all i did with mine and sounds very much that its a similar issue. Not a poor piece of equipment (mn410 one of my best investments) just like all mechanical things it needs to be looked after.

Should be able to find the bits for your 410 here:

https://www.manfrottospares.com/410-parts.html

As to the Gitzo I have never seen a Gitzo tripod with plastic threads and I own/have owned quite a few! Anyway it is the same site for Gitzo spares - even old ones:)

Good luck!

Back