Tripod for a newbie, be kind !!!

Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking in for a while and just dipped my toe and bought a Nikon D60. I've also bought a Sigma 70-300 lens.

I've had a look for a tripod, a few shops, e-bay etc.. and it's a mine field.

Can anyone recommend a "decent" all purpose tripod for about £ 50.

Thanks

Pat

Reckon only two things to consider the weight to carry and fixed head or ball Head.

Pros: carbon fibre ball head

Cons: Price £200-300.

We recently got rid of all our monopods and fixed heads, bought a Manfrotto Carbon fibre with a ball head, there really is no comparison got it for about £150 in Hong Kong. Now me and my wife share the one tripod and carry it everywhere!

The beauty of the ball-head is that you can put it down on the most uneven ground and still level the shot quickly.

I've just bought a Red Snapper tripod to replace my first cheap tripod and I can't praise it enough, especially the price of it.

Check out the offers that are available, give them a ring, say you're a member of Talk Photography and get a 10% discount. If its outside your budget I'd recommend saving up for a little longer, its better to buy once than buy twice.

Got me one of these:
http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/1775/Velbon-CX-444-Tripod-with-Head-.html
I got a D60, but only the 18-55mm lens at the moment, but it is rated to hold a lot of weight.
Used it quite a bit, in a variety of places, beachs, forest, indoors, around rock pools, even took it on holiday, I was happy with it :D
People are too fast to recommend the £100 tripods and dismiss the cheaper ones, if you aren't a pro with £5k of camera and lens on it then a £30-40 is fine in my opinion. And you have to ask, how much will you use it, and will it therefore be worth the money.

I've just bought a Red Snapper tripod to replace my first cheap tripod and I can't praise it enough, especially the price of it.

Check out the offers that are available, give them a ring, say you're a member of Talk Photography and get a 10% discount. If its outside your budget I'd recommend saving up for a little longer, its better to buy once than buy twice.

agreed, if you get one for £30 you will replace it after using it a couple of times

I successfully used a £30 Triod for many years (still got it), no need to spend £100+ until you know what ype of photography you want to do. True ... a cheap Tripod will suffer in moderate winds, but it will last well if looked after.

I would recomed the Velbon CX-640 Tripod, around your budet.

Don't risk your expensive camera (and expensive lens in the future) with a cheap tripod!

Back