Tripod for Beginner

PMK

Edit My Images
No
All in the title really.

I want to get a Tripod due to wanting to experiment with landscapes and camera shake is doing me nut in!

I have had a brief look online - but what would you guys recommend for good value for money and preferably something not too heavy to lug around.

Thanks in advance

Erm, you basically want a lightweight, sturdy tripod. Any photographer does, so IMHO, there's no such thing as a beginner tripod.

The Redsnappers seem to offer a compromise between the two, but are no match for high-end units like Gitzos..

Erm, you basically want a lightweight, sturdy tripod. Any photographer does, so IMHO, there's no such thing as a beginner tripod.

The Redsnappers seem to offer a compromise between the two, but are no match for high-end units like Gitzos..

I'd agree with this. Whilst you can get cheap tripods that will 'do the job' you may as well spend a little bit extra and get a tripod you'll a) use a lot more and b) will last longer.

Certainly check out Redsnapper. I've just ordered the 283 + 3-way head kit for around £75 (with TP discount :)) It's relatively lightweight, sturdy and comes with a nice carrying case (y) what more could you want?

Hope this helps

Dave

I'd agree with this. Whilst you can get cheap tripods that will 'do the job' you may as well spend a little bit extra and get a tripod you'll a) use a lot more and b) will last longer.

Certainly check out Redsnapper. I've just ordered the 283 + 3-way head kit for around £75 (with TP discount :)) It's relatively lightweight, sturdy and comes with a nice carrying case (y) what more could you want?

Hope this helps

Dave

Got any links for that redsnapper dave?

Regards

Pete

Viking beat me to it :)

Had great service from Joe at Redsnapper when I spoke to him on the phone. Many others on here have too (y)

excellent service, i paid 80 for mine didnt realise there was a discount for members :(

I bought a very cheap tripod from 7Dayshop when I started out in DSLR land. It was something like £15 delivered. Lots of people told me not to bother, but I was determined and bought one.

With hindsight I can now join the DO not bother party and say spend as much as you can and get something more "premium" :)

Ditto all above comments.

It largely depends what you want to bolt to it. Check out the weight carrying specs of the ones you are keen on.

Also look for a locking release plate. My first Manfrotto didn't have one and on its first outing I pressed the release by mistake and my camera and lens seperated.

7dayshop do a hama tripod for just over £10 and it aint half bad

oh forgot to say you have to book it through amazon

I had a cheap £20 velbon tripod for three years which I used with my Canon 350D with no problems at all. However, I upgraded my camera to a 5D mark II a few weeks ago and still carried on using my cheap tripod. Yesterday it toppled over with my 5D and flash!!!! After I had finished crying I checked out my gear.

The camera and lens are fine but the hotshoe is broken on my flash. I just ordered the part for £65! That would have gone a long way to a nice tripod! :(

Toph.

Yet another plug for redsnapper. Had a cheap £30 one before and blown away at the quality of redsnapper, great to deal with too.

Back