Tripod for Canon 500mm f4 IS

George

Chasseur Haggis extraordinaire
Edit My Images
Yes
I am shortly going to receive positively the last lens in my life as I don't want another divorce, and I feel my Manfrotto tripods may not be quite up to the task of holding up this baby.
Perhaps a Gitzo and a Wimberly head, a sidekick perhaps?

Bob, as the man with all the gadgets, and anyone else, what do you think?

George

JCB might hold it up if your lucky...

i don't know but have fun with 500mm of reach

Hi, Cameron, perhaps I could take a look at it sometime? you don't say where you are in Scotland, but if it's not too far from Fife, I'd love to have a look. I'm off on Fri for 3 weeks, so won't be doing anything before my return. You can pm me if you prefer.
George

I have the 500mm f4 IS and I use it with two tripods...

A monster Benbo 2 for around the hacienda or not too far from the car - it's big and heavy!

A Gitzo Explorer CF which just about copes with the 500mm for when I'm further afield.

In all honesty, if I was buying a tripod specifically for this lens I'd get one without a centre column, which gives the most rigid mount, and it would be a Gitzo I think. I can't think of the Model No, but IanC_UK has one and will probably chip in if he sees this. If not - drop him a PM. Be sitting down though when you check the price!

Another vote though for the Manfrotto 393 gimbal head, I use one with the 500mm all the while. (y)

Think I might just try the 393, when I looked at pics it looked a bit flimsy which is why I'd like to see before I buy.

Who does good deals on it?

It seems the tripod a lot of the heavy lens guys go for was the Gitzo GT3540LS which is now replaced by the GT3541LS

Think I might just try the 393, when I looked at pics it looked a bit flimsy which is why I'd like to see before I buy.

Who does good deals on it?

Warehouse Express do it for £99.99 IIRC. I don't recall seeing it any cheaper.

It seems the tripod a lot of the heavy lens guys go for was the Gitzo GT3540LS which is now replaced by the GT3541LS

Im going for the 3540XLS. Same height with 3 sections extended, but if you do need more height (Looking up, or set up on a hill for example) then you can extend the 4th section to get a silly big tripod. (y)

Well, certainly some food for thought and thanks. Will try and do a bit of looking around and trying out, and will keep an eye on the thread.
George

Hi George,

I have just bought a 393 head for my Sigma 500mm if you want a look at it, at least then you'd know if it was what you were after, I have to admit it's superb for my needs and it saves a heap of cash over the Wimberleys ( Cedric recommended it to me and it's perfect ).

PM me if you want to arrange a meet and get hands on..can't believe I just typed that :D

Mike.

I can't think of the Model No, but IanC_UK has one and will probably chip in if he sees this. If not - drop him a PM. Be sitting down though when you check the price!

Another vote though for the Manfrotto 393 gimbal head, I use one with the 500mm all the while. (y)

I use a GT3540LS as stated by CT is fine for the 600 F4 L IS :)

The 393 head looks a bit industrial but does a great job and is a total bargain ! :) (I have a Wimberley 2 by the way)

I have just bought a New series 5 Gitzo and the main difference I have found over a series 3 (which I have been using) is a major drop in vibration, But be warned the series 5 Gitzo's are massive and slightly heavier, but having used both defiantly worth it.

For a 500mm f4 take a look at a decent quality ball head and the side kick, its very adaptable, and more than upto the job. Or like has been said wimberley, kirk, jobu, and the other gimbals.

Also think about the terrain you will use it on and invest in spikes or feet.

Edit - Cant believe I now have 3 Gitzo's.

OK, again lots of input, Mike I'll pm you but off to a Calumet presentation today so will be this eve.
Cheers all!!

And Cameron, you may have missed your chance:LOL::LOL::LOL:...was that why you didn't reply??:thinking::thinking::LOL:

Back