Beginner Tripod for Canon Powershot XL 20?

Name
Richard Allen
Edit My Images
No
Above.

I have a Tripod I bought on Amazon about 5 years ago but I had a bigger camera back then, now I use a Canon Power Shot X 20 which I bought from CEX about 2 and half years ago, and it's too small to fit on the Tripod.

Can anyone recommend a good, cheap Tripod that my camera will fit on?

Hi and welcome to TP :)

This is the first time I recall anyone saying their camera is too small for the tripod, as subject the head on the tripod all do the same job whatever the make & model of the camera.

So can you please expand of what is it about the camera that 'makes it too small', as a little more context & detail will reduce a question & answer ping pong :thinking:

If you have a look on various sites for the Powershot SX120 you'll see how small it is.

Hope that helps :)

But a camera will typically attach to a tripod through a quick release plate which screws into the base of the camera so any camera in that situation will fit lots of different tripods & ballheads.

The size of the tripod isn't really related to the size of the camera. Unless you don't want it to look silly.......

If you have a look on various sites for the Powershot SX120 you'll see how small it is.

Hope that helps :)

Yes, I did look before I posted and the SX120 is quite modest in size..................but FWIW I surmise with an adaptor it would be possible to even attach a Minox to a tripod i.e. size of the camera is irrelevant to the tripod size when it comes to attaching the camera to it.

Your OP stating the camera was "too small to fit on the tripod" did not make sense in the context of fitting it on the tripod. What is about the tripod means that the SX120 will not fit on it?

So, back to the tripod..............are you looking for a table top tripod (small and well suited to the size of the camera ;) ) or a full height tripod with multi-section legs with a different type/size of tripod head that might 'work better for you'?

But a camera will typically attach to a tripod through a quick release plate which screws into the base of the camera so any camera in that situation will fit lots of different tripods & ballheads.

The size of the tripod isn't really related to the size of the camera. Unless you don't want it to look silly.......
Exactly, the size of the camera is no impediment to actually attaching any camera to a tripod.

Yes, I did look before I posted and the SX120 is quite modest in size..................but FWIW I surmise with an adaptor it would be possible to even attach a Minox to a tripod i.e. size of the camera is irrelevant to the tripod size when it comes to attaching the camera to it.

Your OP stating the camera was "too small to fit on the tripod" did not make sense in the context of fitting it on the tripod. What is about the tripod means that the SX120 will not fit on it?

So, back to the tripod..............are you looking for a table top tripod (small and well suited to the size of the camera ;) ) or a full height tripod with multi-section legs with a different type/size of tripod head that might 'work better for you'?

Exactly, the size of the camera is no impediment to actually attaching any camera to a tripod.
I'm looking for one with legs ideally.

I'll ask Wallace down at FlyCheese this week, my digital arts tutor.

Firstly
All cameras have a common sized tripod mounting hole for attaching to a tripod (3-way, Ball, tilt head....etc) head.
But will not fit directly to the threaded top of a tripod centre column as that (stating the obvious?) is not the correct or intended use of a tripod, as that threaded screw top is larger than the hole in the cameras.

Having said that, would you please answer these questions:-
  1. You mentioned using a bigger camera with your Amazon purchased tripod.
    What was that bigger camera and how did you attach that one to the tripod???

2. Based on Q1 above what is it that is different when you attempt to attach the SX120???

3. Can you post a picture of the tripod and its head to show exactly what tripod it is that you have now???

Edit @MrRichAllen1976 ~ I hope you can solve your problem of the SX120 not fitting your current tripod but as I see it without some clarification (re: my questions in this post) as to just why the SX120 will not fit the tripod...............buying another one will not of itself solve the problem!

And once solved it would be great if you can post back to thus thread with how you sorted it out :)

PS I have just noticed that in your OP you mention the X 20 which is a small 'bridge camera' but then you spoke of the SX 120 (...in post #3 and I did not noticed the change :banghead: ) and that is a small pocket sized compact.

But whichever the one you have is, they both have a standard tripod socket in the base.

Last edited:
I asked Wallace, and she's sent me a link to one on Amazon for about £16, which I've bought, it's this one.
Yes, that's the sort of thing I'd have thought of.

I found a little tripod marked "Atlantic" in a charity shop some years ago. £2.50 seemed like a good price and it's fine for pocket cameras...

Ixus 70 on Atlantic lightweight tripod D600 211206 4954.JPG

Back