Tripod for hiking

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
What are people's thoughts on the best type of tripod for hiking for landscape photography.
I guess it's a trade off between weight and stability. I only have a lightweight camera : Nikon D3200 with the kit 18-55mm VR II lens. I don't have much spare cash so looking at the budget end of the market.

sirch

Official Forum Numpty 2015
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
In my experience when in the hills you can usually set the tripod up quite low which makes it more stable and means you can use a smaller tripod. The lightest and frankly most reliable tripod I have is a £40 job from 7 day shop, I don’t think they sell the one I have anymore but it has been bashed around, completely submerged, covered in mud and generally abused and is still going strong after about 6 years and weighs only 1kg. For comparison I have a CF Giottos tripod on which one of the leg sections came out after about a year of normal use and a Manfrotto 55 which completely fell apart after 3 months.

So again IME, price isn’t much a guide when it comes to tripods so I’d say get a cheap lightweight one, loads on amazon and ebay and don’t use it at full extension.

Edit My Images
No
Got a Rollei Compact Traveler No. 1.
Perfect for my hiking, 980g Inc ball head, 33cm packed size.