Tripod for m4/3 landscapes

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
Looking for a tripod and ball head to be used with Olympus m4/3.I was thinking of maybe a travel tripod something light and easy to carry.
Would this be ok or should I look for something more substantial?
Cost is not a problem I just want to get the best possible that will last.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers Ian

Hi
Looking for a tripod and ball head to be used with Olympus m4/3.I was thinking of maybe a travel tripod something light and easy to carry.
Would this be ok or should I look for something more substantial?
Cost is not a problem I just want to get the best possible that will last.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers Ian
It's always a fine balance between weight and portability. It's not just about the weight of the camera that you need a substantial tripod, it's also the weather. The lighter the tripod the more likely it is to be affected by wind. That being said I have a fairly light setup that I use for both my FF and m4/3 setups. I have the Velbon Ultra Rexi L tripod (now replaced by the Velbon ultra 655) and giottos ballhead. If I was buying a ballhead now I'd probably buy one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-...sr=8-1-spell&keywords=manfrotto+xrpo+ballhead

Thanks Toby
Is that the way to go a tripod with a different make of head?

I picked up a Redged 522 with ball head (link below) to replace an ageing and heavy Slik tripod that basically disintegrated. The Redged is a LOT lighter but pretty decently stable, especially if you hang something off the wee hook in the middle. I wouldn't recommend anything super cheap (I've used a few in my time) but modern travel tripods are pretty decent. I use mine mostly with a Panasonic GX80 but it'll also hold my D90 with a mid size lens happily enough.

http://www.onestopnature.co.uk/epag...Shops/es143788/Products/REDGEDTCA-522K+RNB-0n

It's not necessarily a different make of head but since you say cost is not a problem it is well worth looking round at different heads. My most used head is one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/2j/Manfr...27&sr=8-1&keywords=manfrotto+pistol+grip+head
and I use it for MFT and full-frame. I like it because it is a one-handed operation but I also have a geared head if I need something really rigid. I have a Manfrotto 055 tripod but the MFT gear always looks a bit silly to me on such a heavy tripod. I also have a really cheap little travel tripod which I use more for MFT. It might be worth looking at carbon fibre, but with the Photography show coming up in a month at the NEC it is worth going along and getting your hands-on, all the major tripod manufacturers are usually there.

That's not a bad idea was thinking of going to the show.Can you get some deals at the show?

Thanks Toby
Is that the way to go a tripod with a different make of head?
No, there's loads of options. You can buy a kit, buy separately getting the same make, or mix and match. Also, ballheads aren't for everyone so decide what you want. I really like the look of the 055 tripods mentioned above, although I prefer the ones that have been replaced as they're that bit lighter. When I'm climbing up the edges in Derbyshire the last thing I want is a heavy tripod strapped to my back ;)

I definitely agree you need to add some ballast weight, I have a Giottos carbon travel tripod as I felt my Manfrotto 190 was a bit over kill for my M4/3 kit and its lovely to carry but needs extra weight to stop it moving.

I definitely agree you need to add some ballast weight, I have a Giottos carbon travel tripod as I felt my Manfrotto 190 was a bit over kill for my M4/3 kit and its lovely to carry but needs extra weight to stop it moving.
Yep, that's why it's good to look for ones with hooks to add weights/your camera bag to. That being said you can easily add your own to some.

As per my reply to your other thread I use a MeFOTO Roadtrip. Superb bit of kit that has never let me down.

Benro Mach 3 + a decent ball head, its as solid as a rock yet still light and comes with a case + short extension for low level shots, I even use mine with a powered head + Oly 300mm F4 without issue.

That's not a bad idea was thinking of going to the show.Can you get some deals at the show?
Sometimes there are offers on but you can also have a look and then buy elsewhere once you know what you want.

I have a Manfrotto BeFree One with a lightweight ball head, when needed.which I use with my EOS M kit. Folds down to 30cm. Little heavy but good for trekking hills.

Back