Tripod for macro

Edit My Images
Yes
Ive had a look around the net and i admit not finding much obvious choice,can someone who has used tripods with macro work recommend me some to view.
many thanks

How heavy is your camera/macro lens? You need a tripod/head combo that will easily cope with that weight, especially if you don't have an l-plate.
Are you going to be wandering about outside, up and down hills etc? If you are then the weight of the tripod/head is important.

Benro generally has a good name.

hi Andrew,carrying weight is not a problem but even so mostly going to be indoor stuff.camera plus lens equals 3.6 pounds.

thanks,ive never used seperate pieces,whats the best type of head for macro ball or the other and can you recommend one.thanks

Vanguard VEO 204AB
Ball head comes off. Center pole comes out and legs spread to the ground. Should cover most things. Have a look at photos/videos to see if it looks any good for you.

Last edited:
hi Dave looks good,also version 2 is about £30 cheaper

I think the ones with blue buttons is cheaper than the ones with black buttons on amazon.
I didn’t say look at version 2 only because I own the original and know the centre pole comes right out and the legs spread to the floor. I don’t know if the is the same for version 2. If it is then it’s a good tripod that cover most things :)

This is the original I own.

Last edited:
Maybe take a look at a benbo trekker. They are very versatile, if not a little tricky to use at first. I have the benbo classic, which is a large, robust and very sturdy tripod. But is pretty heavy, so not something you want to be taking for a walk around the fields.

What I use is a Manfrotto 055x-prob with aManfrotto 322RC2 head and normally fitted with a Tamron 90mm macro lens.. rock solid for macro work. Of course not forgetting a remote shutter release.

the heavier the better to stop the slightest movement. This will work outside as well with the tripod legs wide apart if it is for close ground work

Photo shows a Nikon D300 with a 12-24mm DX lens. This setup is ideal for inside work. Outside the tripod legs at wide open (not yours) works as well.

Is this something like your thinking of? Just looked at cost on amazon, Tripod and head =£265

Last edited:
What I use is a Manfrotto 055x-prob with aManfrotto 322RC2 head and normally fitted with a Tamron 90mm macro lens.. rock solid for macro work

I had that and it's a great rock solid tripod. I changed as I started to go out macro shooting and wanted something lighter

thanks,ive never used seperate pieces,whats the best type of head for macro ball or the other and can you recommend one.thanks
Well I've heard the best head for macro of static subjects is a geared head, rather than a ball. Unfortunately they are too expensive for me to confirm the reports.
For less static subjects a pistol grip one similar to @realspeed 's is great. Though I prefer one that doesn't have the camera so far away from the tripod. (Some have the pistol grip to the side)

that arm is extendable so can be a lot closer to the tripod. I showed it almost fully extended to show it has reach if necessary with a heavy camera. It sides back on the tripod top. Mike if interested go have a look at this setup, you will find your concerns are answered

jApIvNJ.jpg

Oh the head is in the end on fixing not the usual one. This is to move the camera a bit further away when arm is closer to the tripod. Just the way I have it set up at the moment

Last edited:
ok guys thankyou so much.im not in a hurry so will have a closer look at all your suggestions.and Dave(sky] i agree if i go for that i would get original,rather than ver 2 ,will be looking at every ones help over next few days,much appreciated

ok guys thankyou so much.im not in a hurry so will have a closer look at all your suggestions.and Dave(sky] i agree if i go for that i would get original,rather than ver 2 ,will be looking at every ones help over next few days,much appreciated

Apart from ver2 has twist legs I can't see what the difference is. ver2 is 65 quid most places. ver1 £90.

that arm is extendable so can be a lot closer to the tripod. I showed it almost fully extended to show it has reach if necessary with a heavy camera. It sides back on the tripod top. Mike if interested go have a look at this setup, you will find your concerns are answered

jApIvNJ.jpg

Oh the head is in the end on fixing not the usual one. This is to move the camera a bit further away when arm is closer to the tripod. Just the way I have it set up at the moment

It was the offset from the pistolgrip head I was referring to. that design has the ball at the base so the grips length is adding to the torque the weight of the camera puts on the ball...

That ball head on the pistol grip is locked solid ,you would never shift it

Last edited:
Back