Tripod for wildlife/birds?

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
Hope some of the wildlife photographers out there can advise me on this! I am just getting interested in this area of photography and was wondering if my current tripod would be suitable. Its a Manfrotto 055XproB with the 488RC2 head. I know some folk think its heavy but I regularly do long hikes with it strapped to my rucksack.

Just wondering though if this would be good enough for wildlife and birds, in terms of flexibility and it having a ball head. Am totally new to wildlife so any help would be really appreciated. Thanks folks:)

I guess it really depends on the size of lens you're using...

The 055 xprob is reasonably sturdy, as is the 488RC2, but have a maximum weight capacity on each.

Would be good if you re-post with the equipment you are/will be using and we can advise further :)

What lens will you be using?

Although regardless the answer is pretty much yes it will be fine.
I've been using a manfrotto 190 and the 488 head for landscapes and wildlife - but always on lenses where there is a tripod ring on the lens.

Mmmm need really to know what size of lens you are using, I should imagine that it would be fine though.

If you have a large long lens, I would recommend the manfrotto 393 head,be aware that it is heavy and calculate the weight of your lens,camera and the head before plumping for whichever tripod.

The VFM Redsnapper is rated at 10 kgs, more that the 055 AFAIK.

Sorry for got to mention my gear! Its to be used with a Nikon D80 and the biggest lens would be the nikon 80-400mm. Though I may be upgrading to a D300 soon.

I have the 80-400 are very rarely use it with a tripod,it is not a heavy lens to carry nor hold.Monopd maybe........:shrug:

Great thanks guys. I was just a bit worried it wouldnt take the weight. What tripods do you wildlife photographers use then?

Redsnapper and Manfrotto 475 Tripods.

Two monopods.A Giotto and a Manfrotto one, don`t know the model numbers and they are outside in the car,and i`m feelin lazy..........:D

Is this a who has the heaviest heavy lens competition now?..........:LOL:

Gitzo GT3540XLS with Really Right Stuff BH-55 ballhead and Wimberley Sidekick :)

Nah, i think Ian beats me hands down.............:LOL:

I would recommend getting a set of spiked feet for it - I just bought a set off ebay for about £10 for my 055, well worth it if you're going to be using it on rough/soft ground. Much better than the rubber cups as standard.

Gitzo 3541LS & a Wimberley 2 head used here. Also use a Gitzo 5561 monopod if the tripod can't be used.

I would recommend getting a set of spiked feet for it - I just bought a set off ebay for about £10 for my 055, well worth it if you're going to be using it on rough/soft ground. Much better than the rubber cups as standard.

Thanks I didn't know about them. I must get some as those rubber cups do slip on certain surfaces. Brilliant suggestion thanks!

Back