Tripod head advice needed.

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
I am using a Nikon D7200 with the 200-500mm lens for astrophotography. Especially detailed images of the moon. The head is a Benro IB2

I'm finding it difficult to get the moon neatly centred because the tripod head invariably slumps a little after I tighten the ball head knobs.

I'm wondering if there is a different type of tripod head which will allow me to make fine adjustments. Or is there a technique to doing this with a ball head.

Last edited:
Well a technique with a ball head would be to aim higher to account for the drop but I'd have a look at either a Benro 3 way geared head which doesn't cost a fortune or something like the Acratech Long lens head although this is not a cheap option.

The acratech isn't as bulky and is probably a bit lighter but the geared head will give you finer control

Last edited:
I think you could look at geared heads.

I had a Manfrotoo 410. I don't know if that'd be suitable for the weight of your gear but there are plenty of these to look at.

Last edited:
I am using a Nikon D7200 with the 200-500mm lens for astrophotography. Especially detailed images of the moon. The head is a Benro IB2

I'm finding it difficult to get the moon neatly centred because the tripod head invariably slumps a little after I tighten the ball head knobs.

I'm wondering if there is a different type of tripod head which will allow me to make fine adjustments. Or is there a technique to doing this with a ball head.
Firstly, perhaps might help if you stated which ball head make & model you have?

If you are unable to position the CoG (Centre of Gravity) over the ball head 'centre' (the reason(?) it slumps then perhaps a Gimbal might help ?

As said above - I think a geared head is the way to go

However, I've had success shooting the moon using a gimbal. perhaps consider the option that would suit your other preferred subjects/style - eg. gimbal if you shoot wildlife; geared head if you shoot landscape.

I'd definitely go with Elliott's suggestion and look at getting a geared head, such as the Manfrotto 405, which I find to be a marvellous device.

On the other hand, if money's tight, you could consider a suggestion, made to me by a colleague who was into astronomy. His idea was to wipe the ball with a damp cloth then sprinkle some ordinary table salt over the ball. He claimed it stopped creep.

I stress that I've never tried this and am definitely not recommending it, so take it for what it's worth.

Less than that, IMO. I would NEVER deliberately introduce salt to any part of a tripod or head.

A lot of people recommend the Benro geared head for tracker laser/polar alignment because of it's accuracy and ease of use.

I think it's about £160 or so.....

I just use a ballhead. Because £160 is too much to spend imo :) :ROFLMAO:

Back