Tripod,Head and Remote for HDR

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought a Nikon D700 and Nikkor 24-70 2.8G.

I really want to get into HDR photography so I'm looking for a suitable tripod for the camera combo that will give me rock steady pictures between exposures.

I'm assuming I will need a remote shutter release?

There seems to be lots of different tripods around so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

i Have a manfrotto 055b with the 804RC2 Head
Heavy but rock solid and veratile will cost approx £160 but can be got cheaper just shop around.

Cheers Steve
Are these better than the Red Snapper tripods?

that looks like very good value.

all we can do here is tell you our experience and what we have knowlege of.

the manfrotto is heavy but when in a tripod bag its fine, only you can make the decsion taking into account what you read. most tripod will keep your camera steady.

only you can make the final decsion . Hope you are happy with whichever you buy.

Cheers Steve

The 3-series RedSnappers are reasonably good I think. The 2-series are definitely a bit wobbly in the leg and platform joints, but then again thery're pretty good value for £50! The RSH-12 ball head is also very good and punches way above its £50 price - not the absolute strongest maybe, but very smooth and doesn't move on lock-down. Nice to use (y)

On the other hand, you don't need a tripod for HDR unless you need one anyway for long shutter speeds. Just frame the exposures as carefully as you can and the software lines them all up. The way I do it is with auto-bracketing - just set the camera for three exposures - +2, 0, and -2 stops - and fire away as normal. It's all done in half a second, then use the +2 and -2 images to merge in post processing :)

The 3-series RedSnappers are reasonably good I think. The 2-series are definitely a bit wobbly in the leg and platform joints, but then again thery're pretty good value for £50! The RSH-12 ball head is also very good and punches way above its £50 price - not the absolute strongest maybe, but very smooth and doesn't move on lock-down. Nice to use (y)

On the other hand, you don't need a tripod for HDR unless you need one anyway for long shutter speeds. Just frame the exposures as carefully as you can and the software lines them all up. The way I do it is with auto-bracketing - just set the camera for three exposures - +2, 0, and -2 stops - and fire away as normal. It's all done in half a second, then use the +2 and -2 images to merge in post processing :)

I have tried a fair few HDR exposures without a tripod with Photomatix and there is bluring which I'm guessing is down to the slight movement between shots. This is with the alignment features enabled. I'm using bracketing of 1 stop, might try 2. Probably bad technique on my part.

Manfrotto 055CB (very old model) and Cullmann Magnesit Ballhead with panning lock

Solid as a rock and in no rush to change for anything newer

I thought £100 all in including the head and bag less 10% sounded a good deal tbh. I know a few people with the next model down who are very happy with their purchase. I must say Joe at Red Snapper was very helpful. :)

if your shooting on top of a HILL WITH WIND GUSTING BY YOU THEN You will need a good tripod or if you are in a sheltered or inside any tripod will do with a remote cable release wiil do

a good tripod will cover you in any condition.
Cheers Steve

Back