Tripod head suggestions?? (quick release)

Name
wayne clarke
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm out of touch with all the new tripods and heads, all my tripods have the same old manfrotto 015 head. These have worked well but I'm fancying a quick release head. I did try an early version about 30 years ago but I wasn't impressed. I know they've come a LONG way since than.
Can anybody recommend a half decent one that wont send her indoors into a coma ;) I would like to use it with a L bracket, I'd like the camera inline with the head rather than off to one side like I have now in portrait mode. I could use advise about the L bracket as well.
Thanks

I'm currently researching into a new tripod set up myself so I'm not overly up on new release stuff!

You want something Arca Swiss compatible. That should work with all L Brackets. And an L Bracket is a great investment. I have just a cheap Chinese one (so does my boy) and they are perfectly fine.

Hi Wayne @swanseamale47

There was a poll thread here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/your-tripod-mount-preference.701522/ that might be of interest in the light of your question?

In regard to L-plate choices, it should help of you stated which make & model of body you need it for???

HTH :)
Ahhh I didn't know the L brackets were camera specific... That might be an issue as we have a varity of different cameras Canon and Nikon. Ideally it would have been handy to use any one of them. Drat this may mean a rethink

Ahhh I didn't know the L brackets were camera specific... That might be an issue as we have a varity of different cameras Canon and Nikon. Ideally it would have been handy to use any one of them. Drat this may mean a rethink
You can get "universal" ones but when I put one on my Canon 5Dmk3 I went for a body specific one......yes it costs more but it is more 'form fitting' AFAIK compared to all such universal ones.

PS perhaps in your case where you want to swap around do check out the universal ones and hopefully find a make & model that will be good for most cross compatibly :)

Last edited:
Thank you everybody. I think the universal is easiest for me. And an arca swiss compatable head.
Many thanks

Ok follow up questions having had a look online for goodies. Which arca swiss plate?, there appears to be a lot of different ones and head addaptors (a head addaptor might be better as I'm used to and like the heads I have) secondly do the "universal" L brackets only work with the arca plates or will the just screw on to any tripod?
Sorry I'm being a pain but I've never even seen an L bracket in the flesh.

Ok follow up questions having had a look online for goodies. Which arca swiss plate?, there appears to be a lot of different ones and head addaptors (a head addaptor might be better as I'm used to and like the heads I have) secondly do the "universal" L brackets only work with the arca plates or will the just screw on to any tripod?
Sorry I'm being a pain but I've never even seen an L bracket in the flesh.

Now this is only an AFAIK
Arca Swiss does not have a "standard" for its exact dimensions.......therefore there will small differences in say an AS plate from one maker to another. This has no impact when using one of the screw clamps like the Wimberly C-12.

However, if you for (for example) the RRS lever clamp heads I recall they have a caveat that the lever is designed (closing pressure etc) for use with their own body & lens plates.

Now, some lever type clamps have an adjustment screw to control/tweak the lever locking action..........but sod's law could loom if you mix the sources of the plates and adjust the clamp to suit but that 'setting' is a tad too loose for another make of plate = the lever clamp is not "fully" locked :(

FWIW that is why I use the aforementioned Wimberly C-12 as well as the fact that unlike many/most I looked into that have a knurled machined finish the C-12 has large 'lands' to get leverage with finger & thumb to tighten it firmly.

Yes, I think the lever action clamps are a good idea........with bearing in mind the matters of note above about such heads!

Last edited:
However, if you for (for example) the RRS lever clamp heads I recall they have a caveat that the lever is designed (closing pressure etc) for use with their own body & lens plates.

Both Kirk and 3 Legged Thing L Brackets and Tripod Feet work just fine with RRS Lever Clamp plates, not tried any other brands though.

GC

Both Kirk and 3 Legged Thing L Brackets and Tripod Feet work just fine with RRS Lever Clamp plates, not tried any other brands though.

GC

Good to get such user insight and experiences :)

I surmise in the example I recall re:caveat by a manufacturer......that they are covering their posterior by stating it in case someone claims against them should it fail to perform! ;)

I use a gimbal head on the tripod when a tripod is needed , over the years I have gone through many upgrades from the Chinese cheapies to Chinese expensive ones and am currently using a jobu junior which is more than adequate for most long lenses up to 500mm f4 size . All of these came fitted with a arca type mount and the cheap Chinese arca type plates come in a variety of sizes but you should never pay more than £15 for one .
On the monopod I have a two way tilt head again with arca type plate .. everything is therefore interchangeable and nothing costs more than pension fund prices .never had a problem do not get lured into spending big bucks it’s not needed

You can get universal brackets.

My Chinese one was about £7 so not exactly breaking the bank of you need a couple.

Sometimes the 'universal' ones can block or impede access to the ports on the side of the camera where you usually need to plug in cable releases, etc. However, for this price, it is likely worth trying one out.

As for a new head, are you looking at one for landscapes, wildlife or other uses? For landscape, I'm not sure that I would go with a gimbal head but they are great for wildlife. I bought an Induro ball head (Arca-Swiss) with my Induro tripod. If I were shopping again just for a head, I'd have a look at the RRS lines (expensive but well built). I've also read some positive comments about the 'upside down ballhead' from Arca-Swiss: the Arca-Swiss Monoball p0 Ball Head. It has a quick release. One main advantage is that it makes it easier to take panoramas.

Sometimes the 'universal' ones can block or impede access to the ports on the side of the camera where you usually need to plug in cable releases, etc. However, for this price, it is likely worth trying one out.

As for a new head, are you looking at one for landscapes, wildlife or other uses? For landscape, I'm not sure that I would go with a gimbal head but they are great for wildlife. I bought an Induro ball head (Arca-Swiss) with my Induro tripod. If I were shopping again just for a head, I'd have a look at the RRS lines (expensive but well built). I've also read some positive comments about the 'upside down ballhead' from Arca-Swiss: the Arca-Swiss Monoball p0 Ball Head. It has a quick release. One main advantage is that it makes it easier to take panoramas.

My £7 one is designed for the A7 and is a really good fit. I've never used a universal one. I can access all cable doors and change the battery with it in place. Absolutely perfect in every way. I recently bought another Chinese for my boys A6000 - that one was a few quid dearer.

Can't beat a good old screw up Arca Swiss clamp, no hassle with marginally different sized plates

By the time the first lever locking clamps appeared I had been using the Arca-Swiss system for years with plates from various makers so I've never considered a lever locking clamp.

Landscape and long exposure mostly, I do very little wildlife photography. I'd prefere a head addaptor rather than a new head, I'm used to the ones I have.

Ok an update. I've ordered two different Arca swiss addaptors. One the neewer pro which looks pretty decent in the videos I've found, the other ones an Andover version. I've also ordered a few different L brackets to try (generic ones rather than camera specific) This way I can give the system a try without spending so much that "er indoors" will have a wobbler and I can see if it works for me. The ones I don't like I'll just pass on to mates.
If I really get into it I'll probably have a look for proper heads then.... but I do like the oldies I have.
Thanks for all the help and advice everybody.
I'll update this when I've had a play with them.

Ok an update. I've ordered two different Arca swiss addaptors. One the neewer pro which looks pretty decent in the videos I've found, the other ones an Andover version. I've also ordered a few different L brackets to try (generic ones rather than camera specific) This way I can give the system a try without spending so much that "er indoors" will have a wobbler and I can see if it works for me. The ones I don't like I'll just pass on to mates.
If I really get into it I'll probably have a look for proper heads then.... but I do like the oldies I have.
Thanks for all the help and advice everybody.
I'll update this when I've had a play with them.

You may need this small boss adapter if your older Manfrotto head is anything like the newer ones https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/3222879109...MI_eSZve6J5QIViaztCh2jWg5DEAQYASABEgL0DvD_BwE

You may need this small boss adapter if your older Manfrotto head is anything like the newer ones https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/3222879109...MI_eSZve6J5QIViaztCh2jWg5DEAQYASABEgL0DvD_BwE
Thanks for the link Rich.
The Neewer plate arrived today (well impressed since it was late yesterday I ordered it) Fitted onto my oldish 015 head no problems, actually quite a good size match. Only had a play with it so far but it seems really solid and well made. So far l am liking it. The big question is will it work with the L brackets I've ordered. Hope to get those later this week or next week then we'll find out. ;)

Ok another update. The first L bracket arrived today and it doesn't fit the Neewer head, the plates seem slightly too big. Odly it came with another head, which isn't mentioned in the write up, it fits that fine. That said the L bracket looks a bit different to the one I ordered. Now I'm none the wiser.
This raises the question is the neewer really an Arca swiss compatable?? I'll have to wait for the next L bracket (different make) and see if that fits.... Bugger I'd ordered two more neewer heads as well.

Last edited:
When you head do you mean the whole ballhead/three way head or the clamp?
Bit confused over what you have and no idea what a Manfrotto 015 head looks like

Back