Tripod help

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I need to purchase my first decent tripod,I never realised how many different makes & choices.

I would like a ball head with a quick release plate.One to use for landscape & macro work and that possibly tilts downwards.my longest lens is a 70/300 which I use on a Nikon D5500.Ideally I would like to spend about £130 and had seen a manfrotto 290 light alu with a 494rc2 ball head,has anyone got one ?Also one that extends to about 150 cm.Quite happy to buy one make of sturdy legs with another make of ball head,not really bothered about the weight.

Thank you.

Have a look at this and any reviews
Pig Iron ST-1 Premium Camera Tripod w/ Ball Head & Concealed Monopod. 5yr Warranty £149.99 on ebay -uk seller
I have just bought the ball head and it is excellent value.

The best advice I can give is to go the best, you don't want your tripod to move at all. Manfrotto or Gizo really good and extras available. Look around and price, don't rely on Manufacturers recommended prices, a lot of photo shops will do a deal on a tripod.

I don't know much about the manfrotto 290 tripod, I'm guessing is below the 190 and 055 in spec. Manfrotto tripods are a good starting point. There are other brands that are worth looking at like a Benro, induro and red snapper. One thing to look at is the height within raising the centre column. Raising the centre column reduces stability by a considerable amount.

I've had a 498rc2 before, that was the largest in the range. The 494 is the smallest (and I found it was surprisingly small). The 496 is the middle option. Personally I won't go with the 494 due to its size and the possiblity you may upgrade lens size beyond its suitability.

Whilst weight may not seem like an issue now it will depend on how far you are planning on walking, if you are doing more than a few miles it will become noticeable. The best advice anyone can give is to buy the best you can currently afford, tripods can last years and may be one item you won't need to upgrade if you buy well now.

The best advice I can give is to go the best, you don't want your tripod to move at all. Manfrotto or Gizo really good and extras available. Look around and price, don't rely on Manufacturers recommended prices, a lot of photo shops will do a deal on a tripod.

I'd say avoid Gizo - they're likely to be cheapo knockoff Gitzos. ( :p )

Have a look at 2nd hand sites (MPB, Mifsuds, Ffordes to name a few) and see what they've got available from the big names. Likely to be far cheaper than new.

Just bought a Manfrotto 496 RC2 head from SRS at a very good price. Sturdy ball head using Manfrotto's RC2 QR system so it matches all my other supports. The Arca Swiss QR system is supposed to be better but it would cost me too much to replace all my heads and plates so I'm sticking with the "standard" Manfrotto one!

Thanks for all your advice,blimey it's a difficult choice.The ones I'm considering are Vanguard Alta Pro 263 AB with SBH 100 Ball,Redsnapper RSF 324 Alloy RSH 61/30 ball,Manfrotto 290 light Alu 494 RC2 ball not discounting Pig irons or others.I have to check if they are suitable with a longish lens and absolutely rock solid when using them for long exposure photography.

Thanks for all your advice,blimey it's a difficult choice.The ones I'm considering are Vanguard Alta Pro 263 AB with SBH 100 Ball,Redsnapper RSF 324 Alloy RSH 61/30 ball,Manfrotto 290 light Alu 494 RC2 ball not discounting Pig irons or others.I have to check if they are suitable with a longish lens and absolutely rock solid when using them for long exposure photography.

If you go for Manfrotto, go with the 496 head, it's well worth the extra. Alta pro looks very good, and a good price.

Back