Tripod Kit

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I'd ask you guys for some advice on tripod equipment. I have the Monfrotto MVH502AH on the these legs.

I do like my head, but it's so heavy, and the combo rarely makes it out of the back of my car unless I'm going direct to a hide. I wouldn't be able to go on long walks with it, and I'm wondering if I've chosen the right equipment as I find I barely use it.

Do you think my tripod equipment is overkill for bird photography? What do you recommend? The reason I got the head was for ease of adjustment, and to be able to target small birds as they jump from tree to tree, and even for BIF.

Should my tripod combo be lighter than my camera equipment?

You are using a lens that goes to 600mm on an aluminium tripod with legs (top section) 28mm thick - that looks well under what's needed to me.

Don't get hung up on the fact that your Tamron is light - it is still a very long lens and needs appropriate support, in other words something rather better than this. The light 150-600 lenses from Sigma and Tamron have very little weight to help stabilise them so a tripod that damps down vibration well is essential in my opinion. A good sturdy and rigid tripod need not be heavy - but it will probably be expensive.

My suggestion would be a used Gitzo GT3530LS (in preference to the newer models) as it is about 1.8 Kilos, very robust, damps vibration very well and they last forever - well not quite! You can't get a new one anymore but they (and similar models) do appear on the used market, though they can still be pricey............

I'm using a Nikon D500 with the Sigma 150-600 Sport also a Nikon 600mm and nikon 300mm with 2x tele ,, I went the Gitzo road .. then the heavy Manfrotto with a CB gimbal .. now I've got a Feisol 3372 with Wimberley mk2 and the difference in quality is leaps ahead in my opinion .. I couldn't be happier .. I couldn't imagine going lighter in a tripod .. that saying .. how about a monopod? I use a Gitzo monopod and a Wiberley mk2 head for birding on the cliffs .. a lot lighter, is easy to use and give great support. The monopod slides into the side pocket of my backpack and the lens/camera slide inside .. hands free to walk to sight and easy to set up ..

I'm using a Nikon D500 with the Sigma 150-600 Sport also a Nikon 600mm and nikon 300mm with 2x tele ,, I went the Gitzo road .. then the heavy Manfrotto with a CB gimbal .. now I've got a Feisol 3372 with Wimberley mk2 and the difference in quality is leaps ahead in my opinion .. I couldn't be happier .. I couldn't imagine going lighter in a tripod .. that saying .. how about a monopod? I use a Gitzo monopod and a Wiberley mk2 head for birding on the cliffs .. a lot lighter, is easy to use and give great support. The monopod slides into the side pocket of my backpack and the lens/camera slide inside .. hands free to walk to sight and easy to set up ..

Thanks for the recommendations!! Will have a look at cost and maybe go down the avenue of a monopod. Especially if it can fit in or on a bag!!

The Wimberley head is great for the monopod as you can use the frame as a handle .. they are expensive though .. I don't think the Manfrotto head would be the one to use though .. but saying that .. if you bought a cheaper benro head and the gitzo monopod instead of a full tripod and wimberley it comes out far cheaper ..

Maybe I'll trade in what I have for your monopod and head combo recommendation. It would be nice to have something light enough to be able to carry some sandwiches and a flask too, so I can head out hiking for the day and still get some stability for low light situations. I'm not one for staying in the same spot for too long.

Last edited:
Looking at pricing, I think the benro might be more towards my affordability range. Would you say that the gimbal head would work on a monopod?

The Benro GH2 is a copy of the Wimberley .. it should suite your needs .. you could go to carbon fibre but I would be a bit wary as a good knock might easily damage it .. as for the Gitzo monopod .. I think the higher end ones all support 30kg which is way more than you will need .. just check out the specs for length/height etc .. where you from? I might be able to suggest a retailer

I'm in Sheffield - will need to flog my current setup, and flog my computer before I purchase so might be a little bit away before I buy - hopefully sooner than later. It does seem that Gitzo is the preferred and most popular brand amongst photographers however really pricey.

I've seen this as being recommended as an alternative by Angry Photographer on YouTube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...dpPl=1&dpID=31CBJzkns9L&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Maybe I might keep an eye on what people are flogging on here and try and pick up a bargain. Problem is I'm not very knowledgeable on what's suitable and what's a good buy

I'm in Sheffield - will need to flog my current setup, and flog my computer before I purchase so might be a little bit away before I buy - hopefully sooner than later. It does seem that Gitzo is the preferred and most popular brand amongst photographers however really pricey.

I've seen this as being recommended as an alternative by Angry Photographer on YouTube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006JZ7QKW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1500828516&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sirui+monopod&dpPl=1&dpID=31CBJzkns9L&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Maybe I might keep an eye on what people are flogging on here and try and pick up a bargain. Problem is I'm not very knowledgeable on what's suitable and what's a good buy

I have that Mono Pod and yes it will do the job - ANY job! For the last 5+ years mine has been used as a walking pole, brush buster, leg up etc etc. Oh yes I put cameras on it too! ! Still looks like new after all the abuse I have thrown at it!

As to what it is suitable for? It is far more than up to the job of supporting my Canon 800 F5.6 L IS (or Nikon's equivalent) so it is up to the longest and heaviest lenses that Canon/Nikon currently produce. I am a Gitzo fan but I highly recommend this mono pod - it just works!

Realistically though the smaller Sirui P324 will cope with pretty much anything that you (or I) want to cart around and is a bit lighter. Much as I like (and buy) Gitzo - they could learn a little from the P424 and P324..

Back