Tripod leg angle adjustment.

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
As some of you will have seen I have had my Jessops Major carbon fibre tripod for sale, until I found that the catches at the top of the legs are seized up. I bought this off eBay and should have seen this problem when it arrived.

Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you overcome it ?.

Having never used that tripod I can't be certain but wouldn't the best thing be to take the top hinge apart and remove any rust etc so it operates correctly?

Tedious stuff but 20-30 mins of good cleaning should do the job?

Plusgas should do the job much better than WD40

Agreed.
For some reason a lot of people seem to think WD40 is a penetrating oil - it is not.
It was originally developed as a Water Displacing lubricant, which is what the "WD" stands for.

Agreed.
For some reason a lot of people seem to think WD40 is a penetrating oil - it is not.
It was originally developed as a Water Displacing lubricant, which is what the "WD" stands for.

Exactly Brian, most people are unaware of the difference

Having never used that tripod I can't be certain but wouldn't the best thing be to take the top hinge apart and remove any rust etc so it operates correctly?

Tedious stuff but 20-30 mins of good cleaning should do the job?
Thanks
Thanks
Agreed.
Thanks
Exactly Brian, most people are unaware of the difference
Thanks

Agreed.

Probably best not to call it a lubricant as people make the mistake of using it for that purpose.

WD 40 is advertised as a penetrating fluid for stuck parts, a moisture displacement fluid
and lubricant.

If plusgas doesn’t work try coke. No I am not joking, 50 years of engineering and I have never found anything better for freeing seized screws (clean well after)

Back