Tripod on Flight?

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone know what the deal is with taking a compact tripod (16") strapped to the side of a camera bag onto a flight? Is it allowed? Does it vary with the carrier and/or security? I've never tried it before so don't have a clue...... TIA

I've always put mine in the suitcase to avoid any issues. My son got stopped trying to take a tennis racket on once

Last edited:
I've always put mine in the suitcase to avoid any issues. My son got stopped trying to take a tennis racket on once

Yeah, probably the best plan, but was just curious..... I don't imagine any other camera gear is an issue, as no way is it going in hold luggage!

I’ve done both taken one on my bag and in my case, I’ve taken my befree strapped to my bag on many flights without my issues

I do not often take my tripod but when as needed I have, like you, put it it in the suitcase.

I do not often take my tripod but when as needed I have, like you, put it it in the suitcase.
It's got a lot worse lately with people taking huge cases on as carry on.
I have enough trouble with my carry on camera bag in the overhead locker as many times I've had someone with a huge carry on bag trying to squash my bag, or worse take mine out to fit theirs in. Not sure I'd like a vulnerable tripod on the outside of my camera bag.

It's got a lot worse lately with people taking huge cases on as carry on.
I have enough trouble with my carry on camera bag in the overhead locker as many times I've had someone with a huge carry on bag trying to squash my bag, or worse take mine out to fit theirs in. Not sure I'd like a vulnerable tripod on the outside of my camera bag.

Don't they have a size limit, some people are unbelievable, cheeky bleeders

Last edited:
Don't they have a size limit, some people are unbelievable, cheeky bleeders
Yup, but many see to take the mickey and gate staff don't always stop them. Nothing worth than watching £5-10k of camera stuff getting shoved about because someone wants to save 5 mins at baggage claim.
Larger than allowed carry on plus huge handbag plus duty free seems the norm on short haul these days

Yup, but many see to take the mickey and gate staff don't always stop them. Nothing worth than watching £5-10k of camera stuff getting shoved about because someone wants to save 5 mins at baggage claim.
Larger than allowed carry on plus huge handbag plus duty free seems the norm on short haul these days

BA used to allow Media Bags which you paid an obscene premium for but guaranteed overhead space.

I remember watching one harassed cabin crew who'd forgot she had 14 overhead bins worth of them arriving.

Like Byker, I always stick mine in the hold baggage.

Back