tripod or monopod?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, just thinking about adding to my kit, lens etc. I have nothing other than my D40 and the kit lens at the moment but thinking of getting nifty fifty and other accessories.

I have read a few links about tripods and monopods and wondered in your opinions which is best and easiest to use for a first timer, from what I have fread the Manfrotto is the best make but what is the main difference between the monopod and the tripod (about from the number of legs that is :LOL:).

Also is one of the above necessary or would I be better to spend the money on a speedlite (looking at the SB 600) - couldn't afford to get new lens, speedlite AND tripod!
Thanks

Long term, both the tripod and monopod are useful. I'd suggest you start with the tripod, mine definitely gets more use.

New lens or tripod or flash? We can't possibly help you with that one, unless you tell us something about what you take picture of and what you think the different items might help you...

In my case, the camera gets me outside a lot. Very early on, I invested in a very robust monopod (Manfrotto) before a tripod because I reckoned I would use the monopod on long walks - and I do. If you are combining photography with (long) walks, you won't always want to set up a tripod, but the monopod can be quick to deploy in circumstances where you wouldn't have bothered with the tripod.

And I now use mine as a walking stick - even when I am carrying the tripod. Many of my walks are now more for photography rather than as a walk itself. So, I take a bit longer on the photography and don't try to cover as much ground. I now carry a tripod and seek out specific shots. But the monopod is always with me - as a walking aid and (again) for shots that I wouldn’t bother with the tripod for.

If you are never going to stray far from the car, don't bother with a monopod. if, like me, you are going to wander all over the place, the monopod is a great aid - for crossing streams, clambering up and down cliffs, walking up and down steep inclines.

I had looked at these recently - when researching a lightweight tripod. I didn't progress with one - simply because of the abuse that I put my monopod to! The stand at the bottom would end up stuck inside the pod. I also have a spike on the end of the monopod for extra stability and walking strength, so this arrangement wouldn't suit me.

Before I put the spike on, I lost the rubber bung from the end and carried on using teh monopod for quite a while. The damage to the end of the monopod was scary, so you can imagine what would become of this stand arrangement!

Thank for that I have just been looking at a lightweight manfrotto one today - about £50.00 which I think would suit me for now. I would be using it on walks but it felt great for carrying - I can't remember the model now. They did have the 190 with head (not sure of the head model) for £80.00 (had £70 off it) which was what I was looking at but it was quite heavy and I just couldn't be lugging that about with camera etc in tow too!! Thanks for the advice - I will be looking at monopods before I make my mind up though.

I have the Manfrotto 679B Monopod (£30ish) with the 234rc (£25ish), brilliant combination. I only tend to use it when using a longer lens. I would always go for the tripod over the mono but sometimes the tripod just isnt suitable and can be a pain in the arse :)

SB-600 will go very well with a 50mm lens btw dude... makes the sharper F stops more available and a 50mm at F4 can do wicked things to portraits etc.

Back