Tripod recommendation

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I am looking for a high quality tripod for mirrorless camera (sony nex 6).
Main requirements are height at least 175-180cm without extending the central "post", and really solid / rigid legs. I need it for long exposures as my current tripod moves to much on windy days. Budget say 100-150 second hand with a ball head.

Thank you

Look at a benro mach 3.
I had a com147axl and I could walk under it.
Would be ott for mirrorless though.
I'm thinking about a mach 3 for my G80, but one of the smaller models, maybe a 27 or a 37.

Last edited:
Hi
I am looking for a high quality tripod for mirrorless camera (sony nex 6).
Main requirements are height at least 175-180cm without extending the central "post", and really solid / rigid legs. I need it for long exposures as my current tripod moves to much on windy days. Budget say 100-150 second hand with a ball head.

Thank you

180cm without centre-column is a monster tripod. That alone will limit your options severely.

You are probably right. What i want to avoid is the tripod 'wobbling' in the wind. If the centre column is short and rigid the this will be still fine.

You're right in wanting to avoid the centre-column, but height by any method is a killer in windy conditions - it just adds leverage to the strength of the wind, multiplying its effect. I'd challenge any tripod to deliver sharp results at that height on a blustery day. In difficult conditions, the first priority is to get the tripod down low. And if you're maybe thinking of hanging a camera bag or some other weight under the centre-column, that trick is overrated.

Why do you need that height? If it's just for comfort/convenience, then maybe a bit of lateral thinking might pay dividends - like getting a stool or using a wind-break, that kind of idea. It's much better to eliminate vibration in the first place that to try and control it.

Remember to consider the height of the ball head and camera when specifying your ideal height. *If* your intention is to get the camera to eye height then 180cm is going to suit somebody who’s getting on for 7ft.

Remember to consider the height of the ball head and camera when specifying your ideal height. *If* your intention is to get the camera to eye height then 180cm is going to suit somebody who’s getting on for 7ft.

Yes, rough rule of thumb is to add 8in/20cm from the top of the tripod to the viewfinder. Also, most people find the best height for the camera is a bit below eye-level, so you can see the top-plate controls etc. Something around shoulder height, so perhaps another 6in/15cm for that.

When you add that all up, if your eye height is 180cm when standing upright (which would make you around 6ft 4in) a tripod height of 145cm would be there or thereabouts.

Back