Tripod recommendations

GfK

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hello.

I'm looking to buy a new tripod - already have one but its only a lightweight el-cheapo Jessops one which cost me something like £30. I bought it in an emergency when I got called on at short notice to do a wedding video last year. The wedding was in a church and it was a hot sunny day in May, so I didn't experience any problems.

My concern, given that I've got two weddings booked for next year, is that a gust of wind could take it down with the camera as well due to its lack of weight.

So I'm looking for something a bit more sturdy, if you like. And also a problem I've noticed with the Jessops one is that although panning is very smooth once you get moving, it sometimes 'snaps' a bit just as you start moving.

The good thing about the Jessops one though, is A) its lightweight to carry around and B) its got a spirit level built in which comes in very handy.

What's a good compromise combining the best/better elements of the above without me having to sell my remaining kidney to pay for it?

i just bought a manfrotto 190 CLB which set me back £85 and a 486RC2 ball head that was £40. and first impressions after 2 days use (one of which was out walking for a few hours with it) are very positive. its pretty light for such a sturdy tripod but is a fair bit heavier than the jessops ones. i'm guessing youd rather a video style head if you want to be able to pan well but of course they're all available from about £25 up to £?!?.

hope thats of some use.

Maybe have a look at a set of carbon fibre legs to keep the stength and stability while not having to cope with a heavy tripod. You could then addon almost any head you chose and could even buy two, one for the video side of things and another specifcally for your photography.

Warehouse Express regularly have specials on so keep an eye on their webby either under clearance or special offers.

After years of using ally Gitzo reporters, the army now provide the Carbon Gitzo G1518.
Given the choice, I'd still use the old one, as the weight is about the same, but the carbon version is MASSIVE...
Also the carbon legs get jammed at the slightest hint of sand - and since all my recent jobs have been in Afghanistan and Iraq, that's something I could live without.
Carbon looks cool, but saving £300 and buying the ally one is better IMHO.

Back