Beginner Tripod recommendations

Name
Justine
Edit My Images
Yes
Husband has offered to buy me a tripod (very kindly) - I only really want to be spending about 50 pound (max).

Have you guys got any recommendations?

Your budget is very limiting, lots of people on here seem to reckon a company called Redsnapper. No experience myself, but a search should provide information, think they also gave TP members 10% discount.

Another option is secondhand, classifieds here are a good start and maybe a wanted thread would be a good idea

Good luck with your search

There's nothing I can do about the budget...it is what it is. I don't mind buying second hand at all but just wondered if there was anything I should look out for.

...I can't look at the classifieds yet either, they're still locked to me.

This is a pretty good article about all things 'pod ... https://photographylife.com/how-to-choose-and-buy-a-tripod-for-a-dslr-camera

From personal experience manfrotto 550 and 190 series 'pods are good and reasonably priced. Feisol 'pods are excellent but well outside your budget and gitzo 'pods are also excellent but extremely expensive.

The manfrotto 'pods may just be had 2nd hand in your budget but weather you would get a head with that would be debatable.

In my opinion if a tripod isn't stable it isn't worth having and, sadly, most "inexpensive" tripods are not overly stable.

This is a pretty good article about all things 'pod ... https://photographylife.com/how-to-choose-and-buy-a-tripod-for-a-dslr-camera

From personal experience manfrotto 550 and 190 series 'pods are good and reasonably priced. Feisol 'pods are excellent but well outside your budget and gitzo 'pods are also excellent but extremely expensive.

The manfrotto 'pods may just be had 2nd hand in your budget but weather you would get a head with that would be debatable.

In my opinion if a tripod isn't stable it isn't worth having and, sadly, most "inexpensive" tripods are not overly stable.

Thanks for the advice, this helps a lot. I have a cheap tripod at the moment but it's awful so I can fully appreciate what you're saying. I was looking at the Amazon Basics range, they have a good write up and a ball head but I'm very aware that you get what you pay for.

With tripods the saying goes..

You can have it:
  • Cheap
  • Stable
  • Lightweight or easily portable
But you only get to choose TWO of the above.

And the saying holds true. You just need to decide which you're happiest compromising on. If you're happy to carry something a little heavier and not as compact as some other options, there are plenty of Velbon tripods well within your budget that are very stable without being massively heavy (aluminium legs) but don't reduce down as compact as more expensive models.

You can pick up a Manfrotto Compact Light for £41 of ebay, also Neewer and K&F concepts are available for under £50. Just be sure to check out user reviews on youtube before you buy.

Sirui are quite good budget pods.
They would be my recommendation if they made one even close to the budget. But their cheapest is almost double the OP's budget.

Ok...I might go up to £100 - I don't want to be wasting my money. I tried to take a photograph yesterday at night with a light wind - couldn't be done so I understand now.

Ok...I might go up to £100 - I don't want to be wasting my money. I tried to take a photograph yesterday at night with a light wind - couldn't be done so I understand now.

I picked up a second hand benro travel angel from a local shop for £75 and have been really pleased with it. Worth looking around as I've picked up some really good bargains buying second hand, and if you don't like it you can always resell. I've actually made a little by doing this at times.

Have a look on MPB photographic as they seem to have a current stock of used Manfrotto tripods and some heads too.

A manfrotto is your best bet for a good quality sturdy tripod, I wouldn't bother with redsapper, I had 2 of these and had nothing but problems with stability and locking issues. Same with most of the other generic not well branded tripods on the market. If I was in your position I would be looking at a Gitzo even if lt were 2nd hand, buy good 1st time and it will last for years.

Any pointers for Gitzo within the £100 budget would be most welcome

You might find one of the old aluminium models under a 100, but next to no chance with carbon.

Manfrotto is a safe choice, bought my original 055 secondhand from a photo studio that was closing down.

You might find one of the old aluminium models under a 100, but next to no chance with carbon.

Manfrotto is a safe choice, bought my original 055 secondhand from a photo studio that was closing down.

I don't mind - beggars can't be choosers! :)

Any little vices you could manage without for a while? A few quid per week would make a big difference to the tripod pot and as has been pointed out, you do tend to get better for more.

Have a look at the usual suspects for used kit - Ffordes, MPB (? order ?), Mifsuds - bargains can be had.

Don't spend £50 on a tripod.

I did, twice, and regretted it. Cheap won't work.

Save and buy a decent tripod. You won't regret it.

Cheers.

Back