tripod replacement

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
replacement tripod ordered

A tripod of mine failed, the centre column ratchet winder being plastic the thin splines wore out. It was a cheap one anyway and had it for many years.
So given it a lot of thought I have just purchased a replacement on Amazon on one of their deals the offer from time to time. So I have ordered a " Manfrotto Befree Live, Travel Video Tripod with Video Camera Head and Lever Closure," tripod reduced by £50 and I am always out for a deal if possible.
I could have gone for the twist lock version but I am never really happy that I have checked trhe legs are locked, With the lever type it is easy to see it is in the locked position

Why did I decide to get this one? well first being a travel tripod it folds down quite small,as many also are, and it is fairly light. that is not the main reason though. If it is placed on a slope it normally means adjusting the legs to level up. This one apart from the normal up/down side to side fluid movement this also has a small ball type adjustment so the tripod head can be tilted sideways saving that leg adjustment. Also that head “should” be removable and fit onto my really heavy manfrotto tripod as well, good thinking yes? that one only has a pistol type head at the moment.

new tripod
don't know if this is of interest or not but it might help someone

Last edited:
Hey, any thoughts on this tripod?

I bought a gorillapod. Purely because I had used one yeeeeaaaaars ago and liked the adaptability. When I saw they were on offer at Joby from £99 down to £69 AND with a couple honey discount codes I got it down to £52 it didnt seem so bad. I'd be interested in your thoughts on this one though.

I've been using my Befree aluminium version this morning. Mine has a ball head.

I love it!

OK had this for a few days now and no problems so far. that levelling head. made bracket to hold remote fcgYwzAnnnnnn.jpg certainly makes things easierbbbb.jpg

Last edited:
I really liked the look of this one and for £70 it didn’t seem bad! Especially like that you can invert the central column and get the camera right down low

1E3F865A-5F2B-47FE-B4B5-156BDB9A5AC2.jpeg

Attachments

• DBC718BB-F73F-4AEE-958E-60E3F6E91746.jpeg
    DBC718BB-F73F-4AEE-958E-60E3F6E91746.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3F9DF958-11BD-452B-B971-332340BFBA45.jpeg
    3F9DF958-11BD-452B-B971-332340BFBA45.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 10
Very happy with my carbon fiber Vanguard 3+ 263CB. Sturdy, relatively light and immediately before seeing this post I converted it to a monopod for the next outing so it is a great all in one for me.

Travel Tripods is a difficult as it depends upon the type and where the travelling is to take place !
So I purchased a GorillaPod and it is just enough to get away with steady shots, i.e dumo's, Cathedrals etc
Some times I do wish I had something bigger and my wife reminds me we mostly travel cabin luggage only ! !

what sold the Befree live was the ability to get level without adjusting the tripod legs.Saves so much time and fiddling as well as folding down to a small size

I really liked the look of this one and for £70 it didn’t seem bad! Especially like that you can invert the central column and get the camera right down low

View attachment 330115
I’ve got one of these and it’s terrible! The legs would be more stable if made out of rubber and the central column gets stuck when you push it down and is very hard to get back up due to poorly designed locking mechanism.

I’ve got one of these and it’s terrible! The legs would be more stable if made out of rubber and the central column gets stuck when you push it down and is very hard to get back up due to poorly designed locking mechanism.

I had a similar Chinese made relative. Terrible indeed. Bits just fail one after another like dead flies dropping. Rollei was the name. Looks pretty much identical

Back