Tripod ring problem Canon 300mm f2.8 ( not Mk11 version )

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help, on the tripod ring for my Canon 300mm f 2.8 lens the inner ring, which appears to be Silicone, has come loose and is sticking when I try to rotate it. Is this part user replaceable or is it going on a trip to Canon. It was obviously stuck down originally but I have no idea how. I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Many thanks John.

The white part on the inside of the ring is hard plastic and is held in place with a small screw that is located opposite the gap in the ring.............if that makes sense. Sounds like you have a screw loose or missing. :)
I presume a new ring and screw would be available to purchase from Canon.

Thanks for the reply. The screw is still in place but the whole inner part is loose, other than the bit held by the screw, on the tripod ring on my 70 200 the inner part does not move so I am assuming something else holds it in place as well as the screw.

The 70- 200 is different with no screw. If the screw is tight then it sounds as if it's ok. Are the four screws on the body ok?

NOTE: the screws are NOT phillips they are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) so be careful or you will damage the screw heads!

The screw is tight, all the screws on the lens are O.K. The plastic inner on the 70 200 is fixed but without a screw, the plastic inner on my 300 is held by a screw but the rest is movable, should this be fixed i.e. immovable or loose.This has only just started being a problem so I am assuming something has changed within the tripod ring. Is it possible to purchase a new inner or not.

Thanks again John.

Ok just looked at mine, I can move, as in reduce the diameter, the white plastic enough to close the gap it has opposite the screw. I would imagine you will be able to purchase a new one. I find it hard to believe it would wear out as it's hardly a fast moving part or used with any weight or pressure on it. Give Canon a ring and see what they say.

Hi, thanks for confirming that the plastic part moves, I have had another look at the part and noticed that the plastic inner has what appears to be a rubber band at either side but mine has one side badly worn to the extent of being almost non existent and I'm wondering if this is the problem.

Thanks again John.

Back