London Tripod rules, London

All I'm saying is don't let people people dictate your life. Using a tripod isn't harming anyone so just use it. You might have to be quick, you might have to tell some jobs worth to F off... Maybe I'm just a bit biased.

The Gherkin is built upon the site of a bombing that destroyed the previous building. Tower 42 (formerly the Natwest Tower) was nearly pulled down after a previous bombing almost made the building uneconomical to repair. The City Of London still has the security posts from the "Ring of Steel" during the peak of IRA bombing activity. Whilst we may not be at a high risk of a terrorist attack, if one were to occur, it is landmark buildings that would be the target.
Photographer Ed Henty was killed in one city of London bombing in 1993.

Back on topic (sort of :D)
I recently was challenged by security at more London for using a reflector when shooting a street portrait.
he said it was a health & safety issue haha. I would have argued the toss with him but rather do this in front of the stranger whose portrait I was making, I just let it go.
A lot of this falls into the "life's too short" category IMHO

All I'm saying is don't let people people dictate your life. Using a tripod isn't harming anyone so just use it. You might have to be quick, you might have to tell some jobs worth to F off... Maybe I'm just a bit biased.
One could argue the other way and say "don't let photography dictate your life". Using a tripod isn't a life or death or human rights issue so why assume your desire for a photo gives you license to trespass and do what you like on someone else's property?

I doubt any of us would be best pleased if someone started having a picnic on your front lawn and told you to f*ck off when you asked them to stop.

Aah, the trusty "Health & Safety" excuse. When valid reasons are just too hard to think up.

One of my favourite web resources is the HSE's Myrthbusters page. All the things people think have been banned by 'health and safety' (whatever that is) and perpetuated by The Daily Mail have been busted and shown to be not actually banned..

When health and safety is given as a reason for not doing something, it's usually due to a manager who doesn't want to take any risk no matter how minimal rather than use common sense.

Steve.

I AM presidente of my little piece of earth and they ARE banned here. (Unless she says differently of course)

One of my favourite web resources is the HSE's Myrthbusters page. All the things people think have been banned by 'health and safety' (whatever that is) and perpetuated by The Daily Mail have been busted and shown to be not actually banned..

When health and safety is given as a reason for not doing something, it's usually due to a manager who doesn't want to take any risk no matter how minimal rather than use common sense.

Steve.

I agree Steve, as I said, I would have argued the toss with him but decided not to in the end.
Common sense wasn't a factor in his (the security guard) decision. As annoying as he was, it wasn't worth the hassle of arguing with him.

I can see some of the sense in tripods and their use being restricted where someone (however clumsy) could trip over but again common sense should prevail. Sadly it doesn't.
The shoot and scoot tactic is certainly a workaround :D

One could argue the other way and say "don't let photography dictate your life". Using a tripod isn't a life or death or human rights issue so why assume your desire for a photo gives you license to trespass and do what you like on someone else's property?

I doubt any of us would be best pleased if someone started having a picnic on your front lawn and told you to f*ck off when you asked them to stop.

That's different though, we aren't talking about someones private residence here. We are talking about land that the public access all the time without hindrance.

Back on topic (sort of :D)
I recently was challenged by security at more London for using a reflector when shooting a street portrait.
he said it was a health & safety issue haha. I would have argued the toss with him but rather do this in front of the stranger whose portrait I was making, I just let it go.
A lot of this falls into the "life's too short" category IMHO

Well of course, we all know that they can cause temporary blindness. What a ridiculous statement for security to make !

I was in London yesterday, Didn't have a problem putting up a tripod anywhere. Westminster bridge, opposite side of the river to houses of parliment, outside tower of london towards tower birdge etc, no problems at all. Many other people were doing the same and I did not see anybody moving people on. I could have put one where I liked if I wanted to.

Likewise, I was there Monday evening from half six until midnight, in a group of over ten people and we were able to shoot all around Westminster, Blackfriars & Tower Bridge freely. Every time I've been to Tower Bridge I've seen lots of people doing the same. The only place I know about where you can get shoved on is Docklands and there's often a high security presence there.

A quick Google will bring up all number of pages on the subject and I recall reading that they're prohibited on Tower Bridge, the only 'official' word I have ever found is from TFL concerning filming and photography on the underground.

I've shot in London before andolygot challenged once shooting outside the Town Hall towards The Shard. Amazing what you can do to ignore the challenge as I was listening to music at the time, so did not give them the time of day. When they insisted, I used the line "you've disturbed me....now WHAT do you want!? And no I do not do portraits!" which I think caught him off guard. He was going to give me a hard time but just said "ok, just nothing into the offices or security". I showed him what I was on the back of the camera and he said ok.

Shame we are all considered to be bad, when we are just trying to do our thing.

Back