Tripod Suitabilility

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,

I have the D300 with MB-D10 battery pack and use AAA batteries in the pack.

When I picked the camera up from the store I explained that I needed a lightweight not too expensive tripod to take to Cyprus.

I already have a Giottos tripod but considered this to be too heavy to take with me.

The dealer suggested the National Geographic Tundra NGTT1 Ball Head

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/shop_details.asp?productID=5319

He assured me that it would be OK in terms of weight and suggested it would easily take 2 - 3 kg's. The D300 is 823g's and heaven knows what the battery grip with 8 x AAA's is.

I can now see that the NGTT1 has a recommended weight of 1kg.

Has anyone any experience of this tripod. Do you think I should keep it or take it back. If I take take it back do you have any suggestions? Happy to pay £100 or a bit more if necessary.

You may have read my notes elsewhere about being the photographer at my Daughters wedding in Cyprus! Need to get it right, even if I don't need the tripod I feel it will be a useful product to have. Will of course need it to put me in the photos!

Regards

Chris

I think that heavier weights are only likely to be a problem when the tripod legs are splayed out wide for low shots.

Hi Cherryrig,

Thanks for that I can see that the 190XProB is rated on the forum so will go to the shop and look today along with the 322RC2 grip. Seems to be the favoured combination on here.

Of course I may see and like the fibre Manfrotto range! Oh dear, hopefully T4 in Swindon don't have them in stock!

Hi Steep,

Thanks for input. Unfortunately when I put the D300 with grip on the tripod it felt like the whole thing was shaking every time I got near it! Not good for my confidence! It is a good tripod, being lightweight and small, so will probably keep it to put my Sony Hi def camcorder on.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

I know you have already considered that you might not need the tripod and I think that is the case.

Having been a professional wedding photographer for 25 years and covering in excess of 2000 weddings I can tell you I have never used one, even in the days of using Hasselblads and Mamiya 6x7s.

The things with weddings is that being the professional whilst you obviously need to be technically competent the "photographic technique" aspect is secondary to the way you conduct yourself. An overbearing photographer can easily ruin a wedding for the couple and the guests. If you do you will be expected as the bride' father in this instance to fight yourself, being the photographer as well :LOL:

Most pro wedding photographers have a bean bag so they use this to place on a flatish object and then nestle the camera in it stop movement during the exposure. You would only ever really use this thought for long night shots. You should have no problem whacking up the asa (iso) for interior church shots - but remember to take it back down when you leave the church.

Remember also that during the wedding coverage there is so much to remember and so little time so use the KISS approach :)

stew

Hi Stew,

Important thing is to make sure I am in some of the pictures! Only way of doing that!

Get a tripod that is light but sturdy enough to take on the plane and use - done that today! Manfrotto 190XProB and 322RC2 head.

Then get the remote control so I can set off the camera whilst I am still in the picture - going to order one/two of these:

http://nikonglass.blogspot.com/2008/...tix-cleon.html

As suggested by Janice.

Chris

Back