Tripod upgrade - thoughts?

Edit My Images
No
Folks

I really, really, need to replace my tripod. I've been using a Slik 88 since around 1982 but in recent years have more or less stopped carrying it because of its weight and sheer bloody awkwardness in use - trapped fingers and being poked in the eye by the panning handle being just the most obvious problems.

Proposed use of replacement:

Landscapes
Macro
Still Life
Architecture
Portraits (?)

I don't photograph anything which moves very fast, ie sport or other action. I'm undecided whether I would take this tripod on a long-haul holiday as I wouldn't put an expensive piece of kit in the aircraft hold and I'm not sure it would sneak in as hand luggage what with the rest of my kit. There would be no problems about taking it in the car, eg over to France, however.

I'm looking at the Manfrotto 190 MF3 or MF4 and the 460 MG head. This is a 3-way head but has no handles to poke you in the eye, so you can get closer to the viewfinder, and is released and locked by neat but chunky twisty knobs. It also doesn't, afaics, have a full complement of spirit levels but I'm not sure that is going to be a significant problem. Head here: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/2332?livid=80&lsf=80&child=1

Total weight for 90 MF3 or MF4 and the 460 MG headjust is over 2kg. The maximum bearing weight for the 190 MG legs is 4kg and the maximum total load would be 0.5kg for the head + camera, lens, flash etc.

Looking at the kit I have and am likely to upgrade to in the next few years I can't see the kit load on the tripod as being more than 3.5kg, so with 0.5kg for the 460 MG head this works out OK as I really don't see me needing to support a 500mm anything, nor a 80-200mm 2.8 in the near future.

The 055 MF 3 or 4 does appeal, but the additional weight (0.4kg) may be an issue.

The other factor is that I'm 1.60m (5' 3"). I have a tendancy to strain my lower back if bending down for a while. The 055 is obvously taller than the 190. The 055 is 130cm, 165mm with the column fully extended. The 190 is 115cm, up to 142cm with the column fully extended.

The consideration may therefore be the additional height (comfort) against the additional weight (discomfort and lugability).

Any thoughts?

The first thing I'd say is for weight reduction and portablity go for a decent ball head every time. What sort of money do you want to spend on the legs?

The first thing I'd say is for weight reduction and portablity go for a decent ball head every time. What sort of money do you want to spend on the legs?

Within reason, money isn't an issue. I just want to be sure of getting the right kit, considering that it's almost impossible to go and poke around a full range of models from a number of manufacturers, pick them up and feel the weight, fiddle with the knobs etc. If that *were* possible (with reasonable parking) I'd go and do it and maybe not have to ask questions like the one I've posed.

I considered a ball head, but like the idea of a 3-way head for landscapes and architecture in particular. In practice, Manfrotto's ball heads are all heavier than the 3-way job one I'm thinking of. Also, I'm not ruling out a second head down the line if it turns out one is needed.

The perfect tripos doesn't exist - it's always a trade off between rigidity and lightness. I have a Giitzo Explore CF tripod which is lovely and light and compact for carting around and will take the 500mm at a pinch, but I also have an old Benbo 2 which is a monster you wouldn't want to carry far but which will support anything. I'd highly recommend the Gitzo Explorer, in fact there's very little weight difference but a huge price difference going for the aluminium version.

Gitzo Explorer

I have a manfrotto 055MF4 with a 410 Geared head. I mainly use it for landscapes, Night, some macro and long exposure portrait type stuff. It's very precise but slow. I like the fact that you get precise control for the horizon etc. There are occasions when I would have prefered a ball head as it's a bit faster to reposition, but the trade off is currently worth it for me.

we are looking into a new tripod too. i have a manfrotto catalogue infront of me now( how sad). weve decided on the 055 pro for its features and weight. we looked at the 190 , but as we both use it and i,m 5 foot 10, were going for the 055 , which is longer.the 190 pro listed as1.9 kilos , the055 pro as2.4 kilos. seing as i,m the assistant/second photographer /gopher and carthorse , i get to carry it.i spose we could go for the carbon fibre stuff , but an extra £100 or so changes my mind.

while i,m rambling , has anyone used the 222 grip head from manfrotto.?thats the prefered head at the mo .ta
mark

I have the same tripod as CT and it is an excellent piece of kit.
I'd also agree with the ball head recommendation.
They're so much easier to use and a lot quicker to handle than a three way system.

If you want something fairly light than I can recommend Velbon Sherpa 750R, which I have and it's quite OK for my D50 with a Sigma 70-300 mm APO DG macro mounted. Not to be left alone in windy weather, but if you're near it, it's does the job fairly well.

I have a Manfrotto MF4 and regularly use it with a Canon 500 f/4 and 1D. That's about 6kg including head and Sidekick and it's fine. It's a touch on the short side (I wouldn't raise the centre column with that load) but its a great lightweight and small tripod.

I like a ballhead for general stuff, but I do miss the accuracy of a 3 way for landscapes. It is nice to be able to tilt in azimuth only without then having to worry about getting horizons horizontal again.

I will say Gitzo, I personally think they are the best tripods out there, and a decent ball head of which there are many.

I will say Gitzo, I personally think they are the best tripods out there, and a decent ball head of which there are many.

Can only agree as I have the G1548 with the Gimble head.:)

Hello
I agree with others here Gitzo are great. For landscape and architecture the there levelling tripods can’t be beat and they do go very low to the ground for macro/still life. The Explores are very versatile in where you can position the camera so win for macro etc but are not as nice as the levelling for landscape and architecture.
As for heads I like Ball and sockets but it’s really a personal preference.
I hope this is of some interest.

ebay is brill. just purchased a manfrotto 055 pro for £85..
thanks cobra. still trying to work out the difference between the 222 and the 322. its the speed of adjustment that her wants.(weddings mainly and some macro/ arty farty night shots.) . ive looked at some of the ball heads too , but her mind is made up , i think.
mark.

ebay is brill. just purchased a manfrotto 055 pro for £85..
thanks cobra. still trying to work out the difference between the 222 and the 322. its the speed of adjustment that her wants.(weddings mainly and some macro/ arty farty night shots.) . ive looked at some of the ball heads too , but her mind is made up , i think.
mark.

I could be wrong but as I understand it the 222 works like a "joystick" ( vertical) with the camera mounted on the top and the trigger on the side
The 322 in its "normal" state the handle and trigger are horizontal but the mounting plate can be screwed to the handle giving a vertical grip ie the 322 works in both planes and the 222 works vertical only, could be wrong as I said and maybe someone here knows better?
:shrug:

Is the Slik the tripod Dixons used to sell?? Made do with one of those for many years. Upgraded to Manfroto about 6 years ago and have never regretted it. Well built, sturdy but lightweight enough to carry all day as well.

yup. cobra , i had another look. the 322 supercedes the 222.
the 322 has a greater weight capacity too. now we know what to look for.
thanks

(y) no problem! I have been happy with mine

:cautious: sshhhhh, dont tell him indoors, but my 322 arrived this morning from cameraking, and its lovely jubbly, feels very well made and solid, and as has been said, has a much lower centre of gravity than the 222.... (y)

I won't tell if you don't :D

I,ve got a slik pro 700dx and love it. It's big it heavy and it's rock solid. Gale force winds doesn't move it plus it goes from the ground to 6ft6in high. :)

woohoo. the 055pro turned up this morning. what a beauty.
i think it is gonna be the 322 head ( the RC with quick release) . thanks for the advice and recomendation cobra.

A pleasure (y) enjoy!

Back