Tripod use - embarrasing??

Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone,

Does anyone else feel embarrased when getting their tripod out in public - so to speak. I took some pictures last night, some long esposures of traffic and got a couple of poeple pipping their car horns at me. When I use my tripod generally it attracts some strange looks, or perhaps I just feel embarrased to use it. This means I tend to only use the tripod at night when it is absolutely necessary, and I use it less and less.

Does anyone else have this problem or do you just get on with it! :)

Do I absolutely need a tripod even for landscapes during the day? I have achived some pretty good results with my IS lens at a high shutter speed without needing it

Much appreciated!

Never found it an issue myself. I was quite worried about carrying my 100-400 around at first but once you have an SLR the number of other people you notice with SLR's is crazy.

I bought a redsnapper tripod and ballhead at xmas and I have yet to use it... Dont know why I havent used it but think its time I used it and got used to using a tripod!

God, it's an essential part of the kit. Use it and have fun! :)

I was part of a camera club group that went to the West End of London a couple of weeks ago after dark. All of us had tripods so attracted a lot of attention. The reaction from everyone is that we must be good if we were using tripods. Everyone seemed to want to know why we were taking photos. A few joked that some famous people were in one of the restaurants and that we were there for that. Frankly people will believe anything. Don't feel embarrassed. Who cares?

I never go anywhere without it especially when shooting landscapes/architecture. spent a whole day in london, got told off by security twice, set up a couple of times in the middle of the road (once on a traffic island in the middle of a very busy road) Who cares? It just makes people think you're a professional photographer - which can only be a good thing ;)

EDIT: Superhoopsa EXACTLY

Last edited:
I find it amusing when people try and takes shots at night with p&s's without a tripod etc. You just know they are going to get home with a blurry image.

When I did a college course, we often went into the town centre/surrounding areas armed with tripods.

We did get some funny looks, a gang of lads walked past me and said to his mates, "Huh, whats all these people doin' 'ere?" I shouted back, "Taking pictures would you believe!!!!"

They walked off muttering between themselves :D

I know exactly how you feel, that combined with the hassle of carrying a tripod means I don't usually take it, but I think its like everyone says, it just makes you look more professional and its an essential bit of kit if you're getting serious so it just has to be done.

all good points :) and a topic that seems to split opinion somewhat - although the common consensus says get on with it!

i feel more comfortable using the gorillapod funnily enough and its adequate for most situations I find but it does creep forward if you dont set it up exactly right

Just get over the embarrassment and take it. They are a hassle when you are carrying it but if they allow you to get the shot then brilliant. I only have a cheap "Hama star 61" and two identical but even cheaper ones at the moment because everytime I save up enough for a decent tripod I spend it on a lens or something else I just have to have :LOL: I definitely want something really portable. I might treat myself to a redsnapper and a couple of monopods after Christmas. No doubt Chlowasaki will steal the "Hama star 61"! :) (she seems to have nicked my D200 already!)

Never found it an issue myself. I was quite worried about carrying my 100-400 around at first but once you have an SLR the number of other people you notice with SLR's is crazy.

I know what you mean, I felt like that when I first started carrying my 170-500 but its surprising how many other people you see carrying similar lenses/cameras etc. Only one have I felt like someone might do something silly, so I disconnected the monopod from the lens and held that in my other hand, after extending it a little. The two young lads who had decided to walk towards me, turned around and took a different path :LOL:

I say if you think you need to use the tripod then use it, Setting up a tripod on the side of a road, some people possibly thought it was going to be a temporary speed trap and therefore felt threatened by it. I wouldn't let it worry you :)

I always feel a bit awkward walking around with the camera out of the bag, excepting of course where there are lots of other cameras... I've not really had the tripod out in public as yet.

When i bought my D40 (1st DLSR) last year i have to admit i felt very uncomfortable getting the tripod out in public but i think it was cos i had no idea what i was doing and even with the tripod i would return home with plenty to fill the recycle bin.

That changed as soon as i started getting somewhere and now dont think twice about it and as people have already said they just think you are a pro. It gets even better when you get the filter holder out and start putting it all together, remember most places you take shots there is somebody around taking a shot with a mobile, point / shoot or even another DSLR so who cares just do it ;)

I'm not always keen on using, sometimes feel a bit embarrassed but at then end of the day do we really care. The missus always used to comment on it, but after a recent trip up to Scotland she actually said "It's good having this with you" after getting some nice shots of us round loch lomond rather than just one or her, one of me...and son on.

Took it with me to Italy last year and carried it everywhere, the photos show we were both there and not just her! :)

I am yet to get a tripod but when I do, I won't care about using it.

Any of you who don't use them and want to pass one on to me, feel free! I am happy to pay for postage ;-)

I never care when people look at me when I bring my tripod/monopod.
I get looks and stares when setting it up, but people will realize that he's just doing his thing.

There's nothing to be ashamed of there.

I tend to use a monopod more than a tripod, I get more strange looks using the monopod than the tripod :|

Nigel.

Has anyone got a monopod/walking stick, I have seen a few but could do with knowing which are any good.

Yes, I am embarrassed! But the important thing is not to let the embarrassment stop you from doing what you want to do. Sooner or later you (and me) will get over it. In the meantime I think it's important to just try not to let it bother you.

Also this:
[O]nce you have an SLR the number of other people you notice with SLR's is crazy.
is very true!

i find it amusing how people like to inform me that i'm stood at the side of the road with a camera.

thanks for that, i kinda knew :p

I was asked by a Wpc what I was doing with my camera/tripod on a bridge
looking over the A2 recently & when I said 'making light trails' she said 'what?'.

I showed her a couple of attempts on the screen & she said 'ah,thats what
their called'.

She told me to take care & went on her way.

I felt un-easy at first but you soon get used to people tooting & stuff :LOL:

I'm a nightmare....I'm always getting it out in public....slapping it against the backs of peoples legs by accident...better out than in I say....;)

I used to feel a bit embarrased but I don't now. I can guarantee though, some bloke always comes up to me and starts talking about photography.

I was on the beach one August morning at 4.45 am and at 5.15am just as the sun was coming up, an old chap came up and asked 'is this a good time to speak to you about photography?' I replied, 'well I can't really speak at the moment, but if you can come back in half an hour, we can have a chat. I did feel a bit mean but hey ho.

Lisa

thats the thing - i know a lot of people like joining photography clubs and the like, but I like taking photos as a personal thing so maybe i'll just have to be ready for people asking me daft questions every once in a while!

I do enjoy getting feedback on how to improve my shots online though!

I've just spent the last 6 days down in Cornwall, I took 2 tripods with me, a Manfroto 190 and 055P. The 055p went everywhere with except on a visit to St. michaels Mount gardens, and I regreted not taking it. It became very cloudy and I thought I'd be lucky to even take the camera of of the bag, but the light changed after we went on the ferry over. I tripod is great for good composition and low iso shooting, not just dusk and at night. I've never had problems using a tripod other than at places you expect 'security guard' problems. If it helps you get better pictures I'd use it.
Edit - Only problem I've ever had with my tripod is getting my wife to carry it, what's the secret?

Last edited:
This bloke isn't embarrassed, he needs a tripod to do what he wants to do.

21cuv03.jpg

Hello everyone,

Does anyone else feel embarrased when getting their tripod out in public - so to speak. I took some pictures last night, some long esposures of traffic and got a couple of poeple pipping their car horns at me. When I use my tripod generally it attracts some strange looks, or perhaps I just feel embarrased to use it. This means I tend to only use the tripod at night when it is absolutely necessary, and I use it less and less.

Does anyone else have this problem or do you just get on with it! :)

Do I absolutely need a tripod even for landscapes during the day? I have achived some pretty good results with my IS lens at a high shutter speed without needing it

Much appreciated!
i used to but then when i started to try the night trails out on a local dual carriageway it was so funny people slammign thier brakes on thinking i was a copper ( serves them right for speeding ) i seem to be more chilled out now since then try going out with a friend and using the tripod's togther might help

I suppose I was a little embarresed/nervous about using a tripod in busy public places to start with but I'm kinda ok with it now. At the end of the day if the shot you want means you have to use a tripod then so be it. I'll be whipping mine out tonight in London and I won't give to hoots about what anyone thinks.

Whats more embarressing, the tripod or showing the poor shots you have taken beacuse you didnt use the tripod.

Take no notice just set up and crack on with it.

Sometimes, you end up having a conversation with another photographer. Only a couple of weeks ago, I was taking some shots quite late in the evening with my camera on a tripod, and a guy walking his dog passed by me. He noticed I was using an FM2 and therefore a film user, and we ended up having a nice chat about film cameras. He must have been in his 70's and was a really nice bloke. It was almost like a trip down memory lane as we were talking about cameras from about 30 years back.

I would like to add a message of caution as I was recently held by the Gloucestershire armed response unit when trying to take a long exposure over a road at night to get the light trails.
Within 15 minutes of setting up, 2 officers detained me because a passerby had reported that:

"A man with a rifle is stood on a bridge over the A40"

Took longer to explain the shot I was trying to get and reviewing a few photos than it did for them to realise I was not armed with anything more than a tripod.

Really nice couple of cops though............

I suppose I did the first few times, after that it becomes just something you do. I've been pleased to have it on me a couple of times, once in Glasgow in the dark when I was asked if I didn't feel vulnerable as a woman on her own in a city at night. I replied that if anyone fancied picking up their teeth they could be my guest! :)

If you think a tripod is noticeable try doing photography in the street with a model and a flash and softbox on a lighting stand. :)

If I want certain shots I will happily do what I need to in order to get them.

At the end of the day we are only photographers, taking pics and that is nothing to EVER be ashamed of. Get out and do it, you are recording history every time you do, those moments will never be played over again.

Last edited:
I feel the exact same way. I am constantly embarrased about taking out my tripod in public and to be honest I am only starting to feel comfortable taking my camera out (do you see the obstacle there for a wannabe photographer). The problem is more in my hometown which is quite small and I get the funny looks more there than when I photograph in Glasgow.

I am doing a project where I am photographing carehomes so I am planning on going out at the crack of dawn on a sunday :D

Vicky.

Back