Tripod Video head ??

Edit My Images
Yes
I just wanted to have a little play with video for sports and realised my standard head (manfetto bullhead I think) just isn’t any good.

Looking for recommendation for a reasonably good, cheap (ish) starter head for the D500 - 70-200 at worst but prob a smaller lens.

Any recommendations ?

As a starter head for lighter setups the Manfrotto 502/504 or Benro S7/S8 are probably the best budget options.
Cheers had a look but a little more than I wanted to spend just to “test” video

Cheers had a look but a little more than I wanted to spend just to “test” video
Maybe consider buying used or reselling? Anything cheaper is likely going to be "disposable" holding no resell value and being more frustrating than helpful.
A really good video head costs *many* times more than those do...

Auto focus noise may cause a few problems when panning as the distance alters. not only might you find there is a clicking sound but also a slight jerk as it does so. I got over it by using a remote microphone away from the lens. only other solution was to use a fixed focus "prime" lens.
To get over the problem completely is to use a camcorder which is now my go to bit of kit
Wind noise also can be a serious problem with video work

this is what I use now for camera and camcorder. On camera to cut noise and on camcorder to cut down wind noise and hair across lens

gsVSMqK.jpg

my simple wind noise test second half (16 seconds into video) wth deadcat muffler on

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvEkZ_S3V7o

Last edited:
Ill be sticking a cheap Velbon video head in the classifieds soon! Need to double check the model but it’s not a bad wee head, I just never use it!
any idea of a rough price ?

Auto focus noise may cause a few problems when panning as the distance alters. not only might you find there is a clicking sound but also a slight jerk as it does so. I got over it by using a remote microphone away from the lens. only other solution was to use a fixed focus "prime" lens.
To get over the problem completely is to use a camcorder which is now my go to bit of kit
Wind noise also can be a serious problem with video work

this is what I use now for camera and camcorder. On camera to cut noise and on camcorder to cut down wind noise and hair across lens

gsVSMqK.jpg

my simple wind noise test second half (16 seconds into video) with deadcat muffler on

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvEkZ_S3V7o
cheers, i did think of this and prob the best way, but im not sure it will pan out (pun intended), so just to play with the gear i have to start with, if its something that works id get something more dedicated.

Back