Tripod with removable centre column

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for a tripod that I can completely remove the centre column so that I can shoot lying down in the prone position with a gimbal head. Anybody got any suggestions? I currently have a Vanguard Alta Pro 263, which has served me great so far with the horizontal action on the centre column, but I am failing to see how this will be usable with a gimbal head.

Possibly look at Three Legged Thing Eric.

iirc the centre column can be removed and head/gimble mounted directly on the legs section.

Older Manfrottos have a centre column that can be shortened (by unscrewing the long section) which would allow you to do what I think you want to (splay the legs so the tripod is almost flat to the ground.) Mine is a 190 Pro (the later X Pro doesn't offer the same function IIRC, although the column can be reversed so the gimbal might be able to be dangled?)

I have a Giottos that allows the centre column to be removed. In it's place goes a "stump"! The stump just fits where the centre column would go, but is completed locked in place. I tend to leave this in situ all the time, and seldom put the extendable centre column back in.

I have a Manfrotto 190 and have removed the centre column from this. I very rarely used it with the central column raised anyway as it seems more unstable.

I have a Giottos that allows the centre column to be removed. In it's place goes a "stump"! The stump just fits where the centre column would go, but is completed locked in place. I tend to leave this in situ all the time, and seldom put the extendable centre column back in.

Yes, think this might apply to the whole Giottos range as I had one of the their mini tripods and a larger heavy thing and both had that arrangement. Worked well for getting low.

I have 3 tripods wich all have removable centre sections, 2 Velbons (a Sherpa and a UtraMaxi-M) and i got a Diat Carbon Fibre Tripod (eBay) for Xmas which also has a removable centre section, it also has a removable leg which can be converted into a Monopod

I am pleasantly surprised by the Diat tripod for the price, ok probably not the lighteast of carbon fibre tripods, but still a considerable reduction compared to my Aluminium one, and it's damn sturdy too

Won't it be hard to use a gimbal whilst lying prone? I'm trying to imagine it and it would be difficult getting much movement in any direction wouldn't it?

Just curious :)

Got an old Gitzo which does this, I'd assumed it was common with most of their range to choose if you'd prefer a flat base or a column.

Most tripods have a removable centre-column, but that also removes the platform mount for the head, so not what you want.

You need either a tripod designed to be used without a centre-column, eg Gitzo Systematic or a few other brands that also use the Systematic name for this kind of feature, but they're all high-end jobbies. Might be a good idea to look at them for general use with a gimbal though.

Or get a tripod with a centre-column that splits in two to get down low. Look for a tripod spec where the lowest quoted height is clearly less than the centre-column length, meaning it either splits or comes supplied with a shorter centre-column.

Last edited:
As has been mentioned for the Giottos, the Manfrotto 055 and 190 range can also be fitted with a 'short centre column', which is just 17.5 cm long (16.5 for the 190), not quite 'flat', but fairly low.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm look into this over the weekend. :D

I'm looking for a tripod that I can completely remove the centre column so that I can shoot lying down in the prone position with a gimbal head. Anybody got any suggestions? I currently have a Vanguard Alta Pro 263, which has served me great so far with the horizontal action on the centre column, but I am failing to see how this will be usable with a gimbal head.
What subjects are you thinking of Tim?

Mainly Wildlife. I have a particular position in mind where i'm on a river bank about 1-2 metres above water level. I'd ideally like to get as low as I can to give a nice blurred foreground and background. Hence the reason for wanting to get rid of the centre column.

Mainly Wildlife. I have a particular position in mind where i'm on a river bank about 1-2 metres above water level. I'd ideally like to get as low as I can to give a nice blurred foreground and background. Hence the reason for wanting to get rid of the centre column.
I see why you need one now Tim, I have an oldish Benro CF that drops pretty much to the floor if needs be, no centre column at all, it has served me well over the years. I have thought about making a tray type thing as well to be honest, something like a plastic frisbee with some 3/8ths threaded bar attached and mount a gimbal straight onto that.

I`ll see if I can find a link.

I see why you need one now Tim, I have an oldish Benro CF that drops pretty much to the floor if needs be, no centre column at all

Same here - I have a column-less Benro and it goes quite low. I also carry a beanbag (filled with polly balls) and that is useful for getting really low at times (and for sitting on, kneeling on, resting on in hides etc)

Dave.

Ade's solution (I'd use an old hubcap rather than a Frisbee - less flexible!) is probably the best answer. Autojumbles and old fashioned scrapyards would be a good hunting ground for both hubcaps and 3/8" UNC bolts or studding (Whitworth is close enough if you can't find UNC.)

It's also worth mentioning - be careful where you go prone. I had several people think I had had a heart attack last time I tried it :help:
I've only had people thought I was perving so far, just lucky I wasn't seen outside my neighbours house that one night!?!? :confused:

This is what Fracster is talking about LINK

A ground skimmer pod, easy enough to make your own I would have thought

I was actually thinking about making a little mini tripod. Similar to the Induro Hi Hat. But every time I've told myself I was going to do it, I've convinced myself that I should be out there taking photos instead. I'll take a look at this skimmer pod, can't imagine this would work on unlevel ground though?

A beanbag under a dished, round plate would accommodate any unevenness in the ground. Or, cut a suitable metal dish so it's a low level tripod.

Back