Tripod woes

TCR4x4

Wishes he had a couple more Inches
Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I dont have much luck with tripods..

I have a slik pro 700, but its too heavy to cart around, so bought a Manfrotto 190XPROB a while back to replace it, but with the D700 and 24-70 it just seems to flimsy.
Would upgrading to the the 55XPRO be worth it do you think?
The stats say 7Kg for the 55 and just 5Kg for the 190 but the 190 is quite a bit lighter.
I dont think I can afford a carbon fibre jobby, but I need something as light as possible due to my back problems, which will be even more important for the next 6 months after my op in January, as I wont be able to carry much weight at all.

Any other suggestions for a sturdy, good max weight tripod thats cheap?

And also, what are these joystick heads like. I have a ball head at the moment (488 RC4 ) and I also have a 460MG 3 way head, but I dont find either of them very easy to use. The joystick head looks like it might be easier to adjust, but I dont know if they are a bit gimmicky or not.

Last edited:
Yes briefly, but not really sure which models correspond with the Manfrottos, although the 283c looks pretty nifty.

Does anyone think the 283 carbon fibre is worth the extra over the standard one. The weight difference is minimal, but the price is considerable. Is Carbon fibre generally more stable or vibration proof?

CF 1600g £139.95
Alu 1970g £49.95

Does anyone think the 283 carbon fibre is worth the extra over the standard one. The weight difference is minimal, but the price is considerable. Is Carbon fibre generally more stable or vibration proof?

CF 1600g £139.95
Alu 1970g £49.95

somebody posted here he didn't like the CF as it vibrated

anyway, lateral thinking, with a back-problem, how about a bean bag as a temp measure till the back is ok

I got one here - use a fence post or the car - ok, you have to think a bit, - but they're dirt cheap,,!

It might be worth looking at the comments on current thread

Quick Advice On Tripods

re a 190 user and D700

Pete

I have a carbon manfrotto 190CXPRO loverly and light until you add the head, Its not very stable and i have to hang something onto it (camera bag or carrier bag full of stones) if theres any wind about.

Benbo are worth a look. I'm a convert after years with Manfrotto.

somebody posted here he didn't like the CF as it vibrated

anyway, lateral thinking, with a back-problem, how about a bean bag as a temp measure till the back is ok

I got one here - use a fence post or the car - ok, you have to think a bit, - but they're dirt cheap,,!

Got a beanbag already, very rarely use it TBH.

Quick Advice On Tripods

re a 190 user and D700

Pete

Cheers, will have a look.

Benbo are worth a look. I'm a convert after years with Manfrotto.

I started with Benbo.. Never again. Damn thing was like a set of bagpipes with legs sticking out all over the shop.

Quick Advice On Tripods

re a 190 user and D700

Pete

Well that was not much help, he has the tripod and and almost the same head I have now :LOL:

I dont find the 190XPROB and 488RC4 stable enough for a D700 and 24-70. I had major issues the other day with it, the legs were buckling under the weight.

Last edited:
This thread is making me reassess my own tripod situation. I've got the 190 with a 410 geared head. Got it when I has a Canon 40 D. Not used it much since owning the D700, although when I have (in calm condition) seemed ok.
My Best Buddy has the CF 055. Really rates it.
I also find the 190 a little short.

Not much help really. Seems that stability equals weight. Especially with a decent head (410)

I have been using a Manfrotto 055CB for years, not the lightest, but very stable and spare parts available should anything go wrong

When I need something a bit lighter that can be carried easily I use a Velbon Ultra Luxi F, considering its light weight its surprisingly stable.

Had no experience of Carbon although thinking back to my angling days, its very light, but can be crushed which renders it fit for the bin

Have to trade one benefit against the other and come to a sensible compromise, as the saying goes "strong, light, cheap, pick two"

this thread confuses me slightly, when my 190Xprob arrived i chucked the 1D and 120-300 on it for a test and seemed rock solid. granted thats the only time its been on there mind..

Its the thin 2 bottom set of legs thats the issue, I was shooting low and had both parts of the legs fully extended, and the stance quite wide, the whole rig was bouncing up and down like a baby in one of those bouncing thingies. The slik doesnt do this, but the head isnt very good and it weighs a ton. I know I need some weight to get the stability, but I dont want to chuck money at a Carbon fibre one if its still going to bounce around, especially when the weight difference is pretty small. I think something with a thicker set of end legs will solve the problem of stabilty, just finding the right ones.

I have a Giottos carbonfibre tripod and really rate it. Can't remember which one i have, now, but will check it up when i get home? If you was local to me, i'd let you try it out. i use it with a manfrotto ball head. i believe it's a 498rc??? Again, will check out exactly what one i have. I usually have it loaded up with my D300s, Grip, and my 24-70 on there. doesn't seem to budge at all. Dont some landscapes with it the other day with my tokina 11-16 on there in breezy conditions and it didn't budge!

My main tripod is an older 190 pro Manfrotto and it's pretty rock solid under a D700 and anything up to a Sigma 150-500. I was wondering about changing to a 190 X Pro but after a fiddle in a couple of shops, I didn't feel it was as sturdy as my existing one.

I've recently bought myself a Giottos Vitruvian CF tripod for travel (it's significantly lighter and more compact when folded than the 190) and look forward to being able to have a proper play in the field. Not expecting it to be quite as sturdy as the Manfrotto but it should be better than my current travel support - a GorillaPod SLR-Zoom.

Joystick heads? I love my Manfrotto 322 RC2 - very quick to get set up and holds the outfit very well. Can be a little awkward to micro adjust but the QR system on the 410 isn't compatible with all my plates, so I'll live with the 322.

I would do this... in fact, I did :D

Get one of these - carbon Benro C-257 with B-2 head http://cgi.ebay.com/Benro-C-257-M8-...973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483df65095 You won't get better for the money than Benro off ebay.

Same size as MF055, but better than Manfrotto, or Giottos. Gitzo quality, for £250. Head is good too. I have the same tripod with J-2 head. Or you could get the alli version which is a lot cheaper and not that much heavier. Tons of choice on that site - recommended supplier, v fast and nothing extra to pay (at least for me, three times now :) ).

I would do this... in fact, I did :D

Get one of these - carbon Benro C-257 with B-2 head http://cgi.ebay.com/Benro-C-257-M8-...973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483df65095 You won't get better for the money than Benro off ebay.

Same size as MF055, but better than Manfrotto, or Giottos. Gitzo quality, for £250. Head is good too. I have the same tripod with J-2 head. Or you could get the alli version which is a lot cheaper and not that much heavier. Tons of choice on that site - recommended supplier, v fast and nothing extra to pay (at least for me, three times now :) ).
I agree on the B-2 head, it works a treat on the MF055XB. I ordered from the same seller and everything played out smoothly.

In the long run, however, inertia and the capability to swallow vibrations is granted by weight. So the lighter tripods are never going to be as good in this respect, as the heavier ones.

Its the thin 2 bottom set of legs thats the issue, I was shooting low and had both parts of the legs fully extended, and the stance quite wide, the whole rig was bouncing up and down like a baby in one of those bouncing thingies. The slik doesnt do this, but the head isnt very good and it weighs a ton. I know I need some weight to get the stability, but I dont want to chuck money at a Carbon fibre one if its still going to bounce around, especially when the weight difference is pretty small. I think something with a thicker set of end legs will solve the problem of stabilty, just finding the right ones.

If your shooting low, why do you need to have both sections of the legs extended, couped (im guessing) by having them splayed prety wide.

Extending the first section of the legs and flipping the center section, so the camera is hung from it will get you as low as you could ever want (ie, in the mud).

If your shooting low, why do you need to have both sections of the legs extended, couped (im guessing) by having them splayed prety wide.

Extending the first section of the legs and flipping the center section, so the camera is hung from it will get you as low as you could ever want (ie, in the mud).

You cant flip the center coloumn and invert it on that model, it pulls up then you press a button and it swings horizontaly so you cant get right to the ground without splaying the legs, and without opening them right up. You can pull the column out to horizontal, but to get it steady you have to pull it back through so the camera is above the center of the column again, but then you have the rest of the center column in the way and cant get to the eyepiece very easilly. When you are wading in cow crap, mud and snow its so much hassle, its easier just to open the legs right out than trying to fiddle pulling the center column out when you have a camera attached to it.

You cant flip the center coloumn and invert it on that model, it pulls up then you press a button and it swings horizontaly so you cant get right to the ground without splaying the legs, and without opening them right up. You can pull the column out to horizontal, but to get it steady you have to pull it back through so the camera is above the center of the column again, but then you have the rest of the center column in the way and cant get to the eyepiece very easilly. When you are wading in cow crap, mud and snow its so much hassle, its easier just to open the legs right out than trying to fiddle pulling the center column out when you have a camera attached to it.

Press in the little button on the side of the center column, to get it past the center support. Once it is completely free from the rest of the tripod, insert it from the underside. It does work, I have one (y)

Live view makes composition a bit easier if your getting realy low

Hmm, never knew that, will try it later.. Only owned it 2 years... :LOL:

It may not be a practical option for you, but for the sake of a fairly quick flip, it's certainly an option.

AND no heavier than a 190x ProB

Back