Tripod

Have you (or anybody else) used the gitzo gt2532s for long lenses? It's £100 more than the better one that was linked to but also 500g less. I'm not the biggest built (5'7 and just under 10 stone) so the weight makes a difference to me, plus I travel with it and 500g saved in the hold is helpful. I'm happy to pay less and carry more if the linked tripod is much sturdier for the focal length I'm shooting at (500mm with 1.4tc on crop body) but since you said it's the head that makes the difference and I have a proper wimberley that's solid, i wondered if the lighter 2 series would suffice. I'm expecting the answer to be "no, go for the heavier one", but it's worth asking.
It really depends on what you are shooting... If you're using it for stability (i.e. slow subject/long distance/low SS) then I would definitely recommend the 3 series instead. If you are using an unlocked gimbal on top to track moving subjects, then you really need higher SS's and the tripod is only supporting the weight so you don't wear out... the 2 series would do the job. But I still can't see paying more for it...

It really depends on what you are shooting... If you're using it for stability (i.e. slow subject/long distance/low SS) then I would definitely recommend the 3 series instead. If you are using an unlocked gimbal on top to track moving subjects, then you really need higher SS's and the tripod is only supporting the weight so you don't wear out... the 2 series would do the job. But I still can't see paying more for it...

Think that's sold me on the 3 insted. Paying more for the lower model is silly. If only the LS version without the extra height (and lower weight) was also reduced in price I'd be happy. Thanks for your input.

Think that's sold me on the 3 insted. Paying more for the lower model is silly. If only the LS version without the extra height (and lower weight) was also reduced in price I'd be happy. Thanks for your input.
Once you get the tripod see if you can source some slip on rubber table feet or similar (cane tips/etc) that will fit some of the upper tubes. That way you can remove some of the lower small tubes to save weight if you know you're not going to need the extra height (I never use the spike feet anyway).

Something like these should allow you to leave the smallest sections behind. Or these should allow you to leave the bottom two sections.
But I'm just going off of the 3542xls tube diameters (20,24,28,32.2 mm) which doesn't account for the metal ferrule... you'll want to measure before sourcing them.

Last edited:
Once you get the tripod see if you can source some slip on rubber table feet or similar (cane tips/etc) that will fit some of the upper tubes. That way you can remove some of the lower small tubes to save weight if you know you're not going to need the extra height (I never use the spike feet anyway).

Something like these should allow you to leave the smallest sections behind. Or these should allow you to leave the bottom two sections.
But I'm just going off of the 3542xls tube diameters (20,24,28,32.2 mm) which doesn't account for the metal ferrule... you'll want to measure before sourcing them.

Great advice thanks for that! I'll definitely look into it. I didn't realise youd be able to remove sections like that, thought they'd be fixed in or something.

Great advice thanks for that! I'll definitely look into it. I didn't realise youd be able to remove sections like that, thought they'd be fixed in or something.
Nope, the collars unscrew and the tubes will pull right out (for servicing/cleaning). The caps you get need to protect the threads the collar screws onto. Just make sure you don't misplace the bushings (Gitzo calls them "hose clamps") they'll cost you ~ $6 ea plus shipping if you loose them. The collars cost quite a bit more.
And Gitzo service isn't particularly prompt/helpful IME... (but not particularly bad either).

Edit: and pay attention to how they come out. It's not complex or anything, but they have to go a certain way as they provide the "anti twist" function.

Last edited:
Have you (or anybody else) used the gitzo gt2532s for long lenses? It's £100 more than the better one that was linked to but also 500g less. I'm not the biggest built (5'7 and just under 10 stone) so the weight makes a difference to me, plus I travel with it and 500g saved in the hold is helpful. I'm happy to pay less and carry more if the linked tripod is much sturdier for the focal length I'm shooting at (500mm with 1.4tc on crop body) but since you said it's the head that makes the difference and I have a proper wimberley that's solid, i wondered if the lighter 2 series would suffice. I'm expecting the answer to be "no, go for the heavier one", but it's worth asking.

See Steven's reply in post #41 above. He's a very experienced long lens shooter and knows his tripods ;)

As Steven says, so much depends on what/where/how you're shooting. With moving subjects the support weapon of choice is often a humble monopod - because it's easy to carry, easy to set up, and provides all the support you need when the limiting factor is you holding the camera. That's what I go for if possible, with an Arca-Swiss P0 ball head. But they're obviously hopeless with long exposures, and if you have to wait between shots, in a bird hide for example, then monopods tend to fall over when you let go of them!

Long exposures are the most challenging, and in anything less than still conditions, ie no wind, then there's no such thing as totally solid support with a big telephoto. The lens and lens hood act like a wind-break, and the wind buffets the legs setting up vibrations and resonants that blur fine detail, even when you've locked everything down with something like that Manfrotto secondary support strut mentioned earlier. Try it some time, by engaging live view on max magnification and watch the image dance around if you lightly tap the legs. That's where the Gitzo Systematic's design with low centre of gravity is most helpful, and unfortunately, sheer weight is often beneficial, too.

I can't believe it, they're out of stock of the series 3 and not getting any more as it's end of line...I could cry! I can't afford to spend over 600 on the LS one so I really don't know what to do now!

They're probably "updating" the entire line-up... I would expect other models to follow.

I suspect they will drop the prices at random times depending on sold numbers and the number they have left. Looks like prices have been dropping during July and August on most models.

I can't believe it, they're out of stock of the series 3 and not getting any more as it's end of line...I could cry! I can't afford to spend over 600 on the LS one so I really don't know what to do now!

This is the problem when things like this get reduced by some much. it's most likely to clear stock (especially when it's followed with news of a new model), it likely means it sells fast especially when other sellers haven't made similar discounts. There is the potential someone could return one as they may have never seen one and took a gamble. If that happens they would sell as open box in their used items.

Park have the GT3532LS for £529. It's smaller in height at 149cm max as its 3 section not 4 section but a little lighter at 2kg. Keep an eye on camera price buster and jump on it when the price is good.

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/K3723...=AWIN&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=24658

I read a review where it explained the model numbering. If it was GT3542XLS it would be:

G = Gitzo's
T = product type (T is tripod)
3 = series 3
5 = material i.e. Carbon
4 = number of sections (4 is 4 sections, 3 would be 3 sections)
2 = model update version (the newest models to be released will be 3)
XLS = height (extra long in this case)

It's all explained in the review linked below:

This review is pretty good, it explain gitzo tripods very well. I actually read it after placing the order, but it confirmed it was right for me.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Gitzo-GT3542LS-Systematic-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod.aspx

Last edited:
@rob-nikon thanks for the comprehensive post but actually I'm already looking at that tripod and already read all of the link you provided to see what the numbering meant :) seems that the only difference between the one I wanted is that it's 4 section and that one is 3 section. I'm happy with 3 section it's just that when I thought "I need a tripod", I envisaged I'd spend about £250 because I've never looked at or bought a tripod before. £525 although not much considering itll last a long time, is still over double what I planned to spend. Oh well I'll have to keep an eye on prices but need one before I go to South of Spain in November for my annual bird photography holiday (only had a 300mm f4 before so always just used a monopod).

Just in case anybody is interested, Wex now have the 3542XLS back in stock for £399 even though it's discountinued!! So I've just ordered and it will be here tomorrow, perfect!!! (unless I get a call saying they were wron...)

Sweet :)

All tripods manufacturers 'refresh' their ranges every couple of years, but since there's been zero technological development in tripods for about 100 years, that just means the marketing department redrafts the spec sheet, changes the size/weight by a few grams and adds a red knob, then gives a fancy name to the new GMTSS System (Gitzotronic Magic Terrain Stability System, ie different feet on the 'new' Systematic it looks like). They get publicity in all the mags and websites, and bump the price back up so they can begin the steady discounting process again.

That's still an amazing bargain on one of the best tripods you can buy (y)

The new Systematic range has been announced, entirely as predicted https://www.dpreview.com/news/01881...-new-materials-big-feet-and-easy-link-sockets

Improvements to the current models, already described as 'absolute perfection' by Gitzo, include new feet, new lock grips, different leg angle adjusters, a threaded socket on the top, and different carbon fibre weave. Gitzo says they 'set new paradigms in the photo market' - well, call me cynical, but...
- new feet are the same as the optional-extra old feet (I prefer the regular ones)
- new lock grips look like those off the current Traveller range. I like them, they're marginally more comfortable
- new leg angle adjusters? Oh please, they're no better!
- threaded accessory socket on the top platform has been a standard feature on many tripods for ever, but only a fool puts a potentially very wobbly accessory in there
- new carbon fibre weave looks slightly different. Doubtful that there's any discernible improvement in stability

Meanwhile, that extra-long 3-series Systematic (linked above at WEX) is still for sale at £400 off, there's £100-200 off other models, and an astonishing £430 this 2-series 4-section Systematic, down to £249 http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-gitzo-gt2542s-series-2-6x-systematic-tripod/p1529755. That's the baby Systematic, same size as most other medium sized tripods. Grab one while you can. I'm very tempted, if only I didn't have four very capable tripods already - they're not Systematics though ;)

Not sure why you're assuming I don't know what a gun smith does, I'm not thinking they are running an ammunition factory. But as part of the uni risk assessment I have to think of every likely risk and assess it and hope create preventive measures which means I can still do the shoot. I've never worked with a gunsmith or seen ones workshop so personally don't know the extent of his work at the moment. I will be requesting a copy of his risk assessment in relation with Regulation 3 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, which I will also be able to show to my tutor. As well as asking his opinion and thoughts on whether he thinks the flash will be suitable in his workshop, but that final decision will have to be his. Thanks to those who replies where helpful.

well, call me cynical, but...
I agree...

"- new feet are the same as the optional-extra old feet (I prefer the regular ones)"

I like the big feet in muck... not that they help a lot (snowshoes are better). Most will have no use for them and they are otherwise cumbersome.

"- new lock grips look like those off the current Traveller range. I like them, they're marginally more comfortable"

Who cares really? As long as they don't hurt...

"- new leg angle adjusters? Oh please, they're no better!"

They probably auto lock like my RRS does... TBH, I find that function annoying and noisy.

"- threaded accessory socket on the top platform has been a standard feature on many tripods for ever, but only a fool puts a potentially very wobbly accessory in there"
Bwahahaha... now you have to pay extra for the screw stud that used to be in there! (I doubt that)

- new carbon fibre weave looks slightly different. Doubtful that there's any discernible improvement in stability
Probably marginally lighter... Plus and minus IMO, CF is not all that durable really. They're getting to the point where I'm starting to feel like I need to baby them (my RRS anyway) and I really don't want that. I think the "a quality tripod will last you forever" thing isn't really true w/ CF... well, maybe for some who always keep it in a padded bag and never wander far.

<snip>I think the "a quality tripod will last you forever" thing isn't really true w/ CF... well, maybe for some who always keep it in a padded bag and never wander far.

Tripods are generally a lot more robust than most photo equipment, but you certainly can't throw them about like some people do. If you shut the boot (trunk ;)) on a carbon-fibre leg it'll probably crack and an aluminium leg (aloominum :D) will dent, rending both either seriously compromised or useless. Don't dip them in the sea either. But with only a modicum of care, a decent tripod should last a very long time and as we've just seen, real performance improvements don't happen very often.

That's why I want a Gitzo. All my tripods are good, but all have their annoying weaknesses and I really fell for a Systematic 3542LS I had on loan recently - close to perfect for 90% of my work, very usable for the rest, and cheaper in the long run (until I get to try RRS :)).

The new Systematic range has been announced, entirely as predicted https://www.dpreview.com/news/01881...-new-materials-big-feet-and-easy-link-sockets

Improvements to the current models, already described as 'absolute perfection' by Gitzo, include new feet, new lock grips, different leg angle adjusters, a threaded socket on the top, and different carbon fibre weave. Gitzo says they 'set new paradigms in the photo market' - well, call me cynical, but...
- new feet are the same as the optional-extra old feet (I prefer the regular ones)
- new lock grips look like those off the current Traveller range. I like them, they're marginally more comfortable
- new leg angle adjusters? Oh please, they're no better!
- threaded accessory socket on the top platform has been a standard feature on many tripods for ever, but only a fool puts a potentially very wobbly accessory in there

Looks like you were right there was going to hardley be any improvements. I've been very happy with the gitzo I bought, it's been very solid with my 200-400, even down to 1/50sec at 400mm. I'm off to the lakes soon, looking forward to having a very stable base.

Meanwhile, that extra-long 3-series Systematic (linked above at WEX) is still for sale at £400 off, there's £100-200 off other models, and an astonishing £430 this 2-series 4-section Systematic, down to £249 http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-gitzo-gt2542s-series-2-6x-systematic-tripod/p1529755. That's the baby Systematic, same size as most other medium sized tripods. Grab one while you can. I'm very tempted, if only I didn't have four very capable tripods already - they're not Systematics though ;)
That does look like a great price, don't think I have a use for one but it would make a great traveller option.

Back