Tripod?

pbo

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi!
I have just purchased a Nikon D50 slr and would like any refferals on what tripod would be good for it.I am on a pretty limited budget and live in the UK.Will be taking pictures of the kids etc,not using it professionally.TIA!;)

The Tripod that ebuyer sells has been mentioned before. Very cheap and good user reviews on the ebuyer site.

A cheap tripod to get you started will help you decide if you will use one much and if you want to spend out on something better.

I made the mistake of getting one too light! OK for most indoor work but not with a very long lens on!

The quick release block system is useful if you are photographing family as the "freehand" more candid shots can be taken with it stil on the camera.

All I'm going to say is... beware cheap tripods! I know they sound an attractive proposition, but if the head is made of plastic, then forget it. It certainly wont support a heavy DSLR in the upright/portrait position - there's far too much flexing in the plastic joints.

Erm I said a bit more didn't !? :doh:

:getmecoat

well my cheap one is fine ;)

d50 isn't very heavy anyway. I've also used it with a old nikkor lens that weight at least twice as much as the d50 itself with no ill effects.

I'll offer my opinions on this as someone who speaks from experience.

I bought a Velbon tripod, while this was OK with my miniDV camcorder on, it was useless with my dSLR, which at the time was a 300D.

I was given a mafrotto 190 as a present and when I use that now I wonder how I ever managed with the old shakepod.

Buy right first time, or you'll be paying out again ;)

tis true

i got a tripod from Velbon, max weight is listed as 5kg(you see that did you Chris, 5kg MAX, you see, do you ?? DO YOU????)but wont really hold that

but the one i got later on, is a Manfrotto lookylikey from Smicktrading.co.uk, excellent 'pod

How tall are you pbo? one thing to remember is that a short tripod is a pain in the neck for a tall person to use.

Smicktrading? sounds like a bbc comedy!

Hello pbo,

I know it's been said here already but you can't overstate the advice not to buy a cheap tripod. If you want to save money but something that's old, covered in scratches, looks terrible but is sturdy and locks solidly.

A tripod that doesn't hold the camera firm and where you put is far far worse than not having one at all.

I haven't looked but fleabay must have loads of stuff that would do a great job for not alot of money. :)

not bitter at all DF, i got the damn thing free in the first place, and still was up after the whole thing, just ANNOYED!!!!!!

smicktrading, lol yeah i suppose...http://www.smick.co.uk/ thats the link, lol

Steep said:
How tall are you pbo? one thing to remember is that a short tripod is a pain in the neck for a tall person to use.

Im a shortie (5ft 1in) but want one a little taller so DH can use it as well.

Thanks for all the advice:) .
MATTY I have actually seen the full size one(T300. is this the one you have?) on smick trading, so its nice to see someone who has experience with them:) .If not has anyone else any views on the T300?

I'd advise you to steer clear of tripods with bracing on the legs.

after having the Manfrotto the extra adjustability is fantastic and you can really open the legs up to get almost to ground level.

I have a Benbo Trekker II. It gets into some amazing positions (a bit like me! ;) )

The first time | tried to use it I looked like I was having a fight with an octopus in a field!!!

I have got the hang of it now and it's brilliant.

Without taking this thread too far off topic, please remeber this is a photographic based forum!

Janice said:
I have a Benbo Trekker II. It gets into some amazing positions (a bit like me! ;) )

I have got the hang of it now and it's brilliant.

A picture speaks a thousand words :D :D :D :D :D

oops slap wrist again, funny how other people get away with comments and they don't get pulled up! must just be me!

Glen said:
oops slap wrist again, funny how other people get away with comments and they don't get pulled up! must just be me!

No I don't think so, digitalfailure was not slapping any wrists he was asking for photos of those flexible positions ;)

Oops again, mental note:

engage eyes, then brain, then fingers on keyboard. :doh:

Jessops do quite a decent tripod - about £25 in a bag and its very sturdy!
i just bought a monopod - thinking it would be easy and light in a situatiob where there's not quite enough room for tripod legs - not as easy to use as a tripod though and i still get some camera shake!
any advice please????

castaway said:
i just bought a monopod - thinking it would be easy and light in a situatiob where there's not quite enough room for tripod legs - not as easy to use as a tripod though and i still get some camera shake!
any advice please????

A monopod is often an advantage over going totally hand held, and can relieve the weight of heavy lenses,but it's no substitute for a tripod, and you are still likely to get camera shake. Try to keep your shutter speeds as fast as practicable. Where possible, try to brace the monopod against something else -walls, fences etc.- anything which adds a little more rigidity. :)

Back