tripods advice

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
guys I would like a tripod but it's kind of a minefield with choice. I will be using it for macro,landscapes and Motorsport. My current is a,Jobby gorilla which works fine but need a taller one now.

I kinda know I,ll need one of the manfrotto gear heads in time, but as for tripods any steer on that? If possible I'd like one that doubles as a mono pod but not too bothered about carbon so I can keep cost down, anybody reccomend me one please..

Thanks

Last edited:
I recently purchased one of these - http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-190xpro3-tripod-and-496rc2-ball-head/p1543799

Comes with a free Manfrotto Monopod worth 40 quid. If you're on a budget, you'd be hard pushed to find a better deal IMHO.

That's a good deal, I think its about the same give or take a couple of quid as I paid for my 190 ProB a few years ago and you get a free monopod.
If you decide to order it get a spare QR plate having two sometimes makes life a lot easier

Great deals guys thanks I've ordered one. I'm hoping my father will buy the geared head for macro and I may treat myself to a joystick later. Thanks again

Nice tripods I must say.... Not that much heavier than my dads Carbon manfrotto...

Have you looked at the Sirui range? Had a quick look at them recently and they looked really good, value and quality.

When reading this thread,I decided to look for a new tripod as I've had my jessops for about 7 years,I looked around and this was the best deal by far so on Tuesday I ordered one,I paid 4 pounds 99p for next day deliver and it arrived Yesterday.
I was shocked how heavy it is but the quality is good,Used it today and if I'm not carrying it far it will be fine but I shall now keep my cheaply because of the weight.
The mono pod looks good that came with it but I was expecting the screw on the top to fit my canon but it appears twice the size I suppose I can buy a adapter?

The mono pod looks good that came with it but I was expecting the screw on the top to fit my canon but it appears twice the size I suppose I can buy a adapter?

The monopod will have a 3/8 thread on top for mounting a head. Unless you are going to be using both tripod and monopod together, simply unscrew the head from the tripod and put it on the monopod.

Many thanks Steve,the ball head will fit? I'm off the the Peak District are mono pods good as use as a walking stick?

Last edited by a moderator:
My pleasure, it's obvious once you know how.
Another option would be to get a cheap ballhead from ebay/amazon to save changing over. Anything that takes an RC2 plate should be interchangeable.

Roy I use the gorilla portable units you'd be surprised at how many places you can tie these , I also use the gorilla ball head on either of our new manfrotto it fits fine....my main use for this tripod is fireworks and macro. I did try my fathers Carbon manfrotto it isn't that much lighter, so I,ll presume you'd have to spend 400 plus on the mega ones or gitzo to get the holy grail, and for me I just don't use them enough

Back