Tripods - What to look for.

Plain Nev

Vincent Furnier
Name
Neville
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry, another tripod thread. I'm in that position where I'm thinking of getting one, and have been looking around, as you do. It all seems pretty self explanatory. But the one thing you ought to get right seems to be the height of it. And that's what is concerning me. I don't want to be looking down on it all the time, or up for that matter. Seems to me you want something that is at eye level without being fully extended or lowered. Ideally with wiggle room in both directions, I suppose. I have measured it from my tootsies to my eye, and that's about 65 inches. But, given that extended heights are always quoted would something like a 70 inch dropped half way put me in the ball park and give me the wiggle I'm looking for?

If you take all your shots from eye level you will finish up with some mediocre photos,
A high or low viewpoint will provide a lot more variety in your images.

The main thing to remember about tripods is, to get a good one that is stable and will last, be prepared to spend £more than you thought you would.

Very true Brian. I do when I'm unencumbered, and I probably wouldn't be using it as a matter of course for that reason. Although, you can drop them down obviously.

Always better to go bigger rather than shorter. Bear in mind you may need a bigger tripod than you think if shooting on slope

You can always collapse the legs if you need to shoot lower rather than run out of height

Just a word of warning as I was in this position recently and I convinced myself I wanted to try some astro shots and therefore needed a decent tripod. I happened to spot that WEX were offering 0% on Gitzos and, well, you can guess the rest. The only saving grace is my wife doesn't realise what a ridiculous and unnecessary amount of money I spent on the darned thing :LOL: :LOL:

Just a word of warning as I was in this position recently and I convinced myself I wanted to try some astro shots and therefore needed a decent tripod. I happened to spot that WEX were offering 0% on Gitzos and, well, you can guess the rest. The only saving grace is my wife doesn't realise what a ridiculous and unnecessary amount of money I spent on the darned thing :LOL: :LOL:
Remember - the rule of thumb with tripods is "Buy cheap - Buy twice."
A decent tripod should be a lifetime investment.

The Manfrotto 055XPROB is about as rock solid as you can get, even fully extended. Heavy?yes but that is what you will need for astro shots. It is 70 inches tall fully extended, that is without a head or camera on it.

Below some idea of height to give some idea. Movement fully extended is something you don't want

_DSC4149av.jpg

of course you may need a step ladder to set up the camera on top
Don't forget to use a remote trigger release wireless or wired

Last edited:
A decent tripod should be a lifetime investment.

Agreed and it's said all the time but the pleasure of using something lasts far longer than the pain of paying for it....

Not always true. In the middle of the 1970s I was at a jumble sale and saw an old tripod on the bric-a-brac stall. I asked how much they wanted for it and was told 50p! Couldn't get my hand in my pocket fast enough. That tripod lasted me until I bought my Benbo around 2000.

I gave the jumble sale wonder to a colleague who was just starting out in photography and for all I know he's still using it... ;)

My main tripod is a Manfrotto 055 Pro that I bought in 2000.

RelwONN.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhh... Some useful advice there. I'll check out the Manfrotto. Thanks.

Last edited:
While I fully understand that a decent tripod is a must, I really don't understand why so many are made of such silly materials. Tripods need weight and stiffness. Weight absorbs vibration, stiffness stops swaying etc. Light, stiff materials like carbon fibre actually transmit vibration and I see no advantage in that. In reality, the stiffness of a tripod is as much a function of its design as the material it is made of. My ancient two section Bilora is made of steel and plastic, weighs 4 kilos and is a joy to use with a Manfrotto head.

That tripod in the photo will also allow the centre to swing sideways as well. Very handy for photographing something on a desktop from above

Manfrotto 055XPROB
_DSC4150a.jpg

Last edited:
I gave the jumble sale wonder to a colleague...
Here's my chief assistant using the tripod with a Rolleimagic not long after I aquired it. Both tripod and camera survived the encounter! :naughty:

Kirsten with Rollie Magic.jpg

One thing to look out for when choosing a tripod is the method of locking the legs.
There are two methods, the twist lock and the external lever.
Personally I've never got on with the twist lock (used by Gitzo and Benro) and I find the Lever locking system (used by Manfrotto) easier and more convenient than the twist lock, but your preference may be different.

Last edited:
While I fully understand that a decent tripod is a must, I really don't understand why so many are made of such silly materials. Tripods need weight and stiffness. Weight absorbs vibration, stiffness stops swaying etc. Light, stiff materials like carbon fibre actually transmit vibration and I see no advantage in that. In reality, the stiffness of a tripod is as much a function of its design as the material it is made of. My ancient two section Bilora is made of steel and plastic, weighs 4 kilos and is a joy to use with a Manfrotto head.

Different material for different purposes.

I have that manfrotto when weight and carrying is not a concern, it's just the best when I can use it.

When I can't take that due to it's size, I take my Gitzo.

I like to be able to get the camera into the position I want and very often that's not possible with a conventional centre column through the legs design.

I don't use tripods even once in a blue moon now but at one time I really struggled with my Manfrotto and eventually gave it way and moved to a Benbo. They're not to everyones taste but you can achieve just about any positioning. They are pretty low tech but they do seem just about indestructible and when used in the same way as a Manfrotto are IMO immensely stable.

My main tripod is a Manfrotto 055 Pro that I bought in 2000.

RelwONN.jpg
If that were my setup I would be inclined to use wireless remote to trigger off those flashguns on stands. Less chance of tripping over and easier to relocate

If that were my setup I would be inclined to use wireless remote to trigger off those flashguns on stands. Less chance of tripping over and easier to relocate

The remote trigger is wireless, that's a tether to the laptop so the client can see the photo in real time. Which co-incidentally charges the camera! The A73 doesn't have wireless tether.

I have both the Aluminium and Carbon Fibre versions of the Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 and, apart from being lighter to carry, the CF version is distinctly more rigid than the Aluminium one.

Last edited:
Tripods are a tool to assist you to take the shot. There is no perfect tripod. Some do somethings better than others,
If you are in the Snow / Cold then a metal tripod probably isn't your first choice.
Taking a heavy metal tripod to the top of a mountain range also wouldn't be high on my list.
A small tripod for taking shots of standing people or stars will give you neck ache.
You may find that multiple tripods are required..... lol

I have an old Redsnapper and a lighter 3LT Travis. Both could sometimes do with being a touch taller but when looking at price, height, weight, leg locks, head, folded length, etc there has to be compromises somewhere I've found.

The 3LT certainly gets the most use though and neither has let me down so far.....

That stupid phrase was invented by marketing men to get the gullible to pay more than what is required for goods.

That stupid phrase was invented by marketing men to get the gullible to pay more than what is required for goods.
Couldn't agree more, my tripod cost no more than £100, it's very light and works perfectly for me. Maybe 1 in a thousand photos I use it so id be stupid to spend more.
You have to get what suites your needs.

My ancient two section Bilora is made of steel and plastic, weighs 4 kilos and is a joy to use with a Manfrotto head.
I think you have your answer there. :)
Maybe, but go into a camera shop where they have tripods of various prices set up and compare something like a Gitzo with one of the cheapies. The difference in basic stiffness and stability , at least in the lightweight range, isn't at all subtle. The other cliché about tripods: 'Light, stable, cheap - pick any two' has a fair bit of truth in it.

Last edited:
Until 6 months ago my main tripod was a Manfrotto 055 (so old it doesn't have any letters) that I bought in 1992/3 from memory.

It was supplanted by a Manfrotto 055MG (carbon fibre legs & magnesium alloy). The original 055 now has an equatorial tracker mount on it.

For ultra lightweight occasions I have a Manfrotto 732CY that I picked up in Jessops for a song the first time they were in the process of going mammaries skyward. I've seen the current price of them and it's not worth it.

I feel there is an element of diminishing returns with tripods. The more you spend the better you get but at which point does it stop making a difference? I went from a £70 aluminium cheapy Zomei to a Gitzo. The Gitzo is infinitely better built, nicer to use and will no doubt last longer.... But I used the cheapy for over 2 years and it's still in the cupboard ready to go. It also held everything stable enough and my images didn't suffer because of it. The Gitzo is really nice though

You missed the second part of my post.

I was introduced to photography by my father, who had quite a collection of cheap tripods.
I decided that when I bought a tripod I'd buy one to last, which it has. The problem is that as I've got older I'm less inclined to lug heavy kit around.
When I bought my original aluminium Manfrotto 055 they didn't produce a CF version. When we had a speaker at the club he was showing off his 055 CF.
Once I felt the (lack of) weight, I bought one, The aluminium version is still in perfect order and will probably outlive me, but if I'm going walkabout the CF gets the use (apart from having my 410 JR geared head attached to it.)

But you have the best. Enjoy.

TBH the most robust tripod I've had is also the cheapest I have. My Manfrotto 055 fell apart in the field about 3 months after I got it. A leg section fell off my CF Gitzo and was lost and it cost more than a cheap tripod to buy just the one leg section. I think the thing is that it depends what you actually do with them, if you get out of the car, walk for 5 minutes, set up and shoot then pretty much anything will do and you can kid your self that your tripod has lasted because you invested in quality. On the other hand if you are bashing though undergrowth in the rain with it on a backpack, putting it in the surf, mud, whatever, then nothing is going to last so get a cheap one and expect to replace it every couple of years. It's three legs and some clamps, spend your money on a reasonable head.

Make sure it has 3 legs

I've got a Gitzo 5 series and a 3LT Punks Billy for travel. Both of which I'm very happy with. I do a reasonable amount of long exposure and I'm trying out some astro and wanted something a bit taller. First stop was looking at a Gitzo XLS version in 3 or 5, cough £750+, no thanks.

I had a search about and came across a chines brand Artcise and took a punt. Gets decent reviews and about a third of the Gitzo equivalent price when you take in the other bits that coem standard (e.g. levelling bowl)

I got the AS90C and whilst lockdown has curtailed my travel it seems absolutely rock solid. With the ball and camera on it I need to drop the legs a few inches and I'm 6'1". Carbon fibre looks like carbon fibre. Leg locks are tight but feel different from the Gitzo but then the3LT feels different from the Gitzo too.

They do other versions in the region of your suggested budget https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARTCISE-Li...rds=as80c&qid=1607285877&s=electronics&sr=1-1

I've long thought that photography tripods are one of those great marketers dreams. Manfrotto and Gitzo are the same company- convince us to buy Manfrotto and set Gitzo at apremium . When you strip them down for cleaning there's not a lot of parts and they don't appear that expensive but photography is one of those hobbies where a lens cloth is a premium item.

I've not ditched the Gitzo or 3LT, just added to the armoury, but so far it's a lot more tripod than I could expect for the money even if I was aiming used Gitzo. Have a look on amazon

Most of is end up with a number of tripods? My most used are a manfrotto 055prob and a 190 pro L which is almost as tall but much lighter. And a very suitable for Fuji sized mirror less cameras.

No point in buying a tripod that is too heavy and big to ever take with you, or so light and flimsy as to be worse than not using one. I find the 190 series a very good compromise. In all I now have only five tripods. I have owned more than a dozen. Only one literally wore out and started to come apart. Wooden tripods are, size for size, the most stable and free of vibration.

I think you have your answer there. :)

Years ago, I was chatting to a mountain biker who happened to be a mechanic for a high level motorbike racing team. We got around to the subject of weight savings and he pointed out (on a competitor's bike) some fancy drilled Titanium bolts and mentioned that the wet mud that would fill the bolt would be heavier than the Ti that had been drilled out! His top tip for weight saving - "A good, stiff s*** as close to the start time as possible!"

One tip I'd give is to think about what you really want size wise. I used to think that I wanted a tripod that would easily go to eye level but in reality how many times do I/we really want a tripod shot taken from that height?

Years ago, I was chatting to a mountain biker who happened to be a mechanic for a high level motorbike racing team. We got around to the subject of weight savings and he pointed out (on a competitor's bike) some fancy drilled Titanium bolts and mentioned that the wet mud that would fill the bolt would be heavier than the Ti that had been drilled out! His top tip for weight saving - "A good, stiff s*** as close to the start time as possible!"
There is a story that Colin Chapman, founder of Lotus cars. in his obsession with weight saving, once gave one of his mechanics a rollicking for using washers under the nuts on one of his cars. The quote was "Why are you taking all those washers for a ride?"
As a Hot Rodder, the phrase used to be "The only thing lighter than a hole is a bigger hole."

As well as the main tripod frame, I don't think I've read any mention on here yet about the head(s) you might want to use. So factor that in too that you can change the tripod head easily if you need to. For example, your choices might be for :
  • an adjustable level head which is easier than trying to lengthen/shorten a leg on uneven ground
  • a gimbal head for wildlife/bird photography
  • a pan/tilt head for video
  • a generic head that will do most things, but not necessarily the best for the photography genres mentioned above
Consider too that as well as needing a tall tripod, will you also need it to go down to almost ground level for use in wildlife photography for example. Not all tripods can go low.

As well as the main tripod frame, I don't think I've read any mention on here yet about the head(s) you might want to use. So factor that in too that you can change the tripod head easily if you need to. For example, your choices might be for :
  • an adjustable level head which is easier than trying to lengthen/shorten a leg on uneven ground
  • a gimbal head for wildlife/bird photography
  • a pan/tilt head for video
  • a generic head that will do most things, but not necessarily the best for the photography genres mentioned above
Consider too that as well as needing a tall tripod, will you also need it to go down to almost ground level for use in wildlife photography for example. Not all tripods can go low.

I've had a Manfrotto 190 for years now and I can change heads if I need to the ones I use which are a Manfrotto pan/tilt and a Benro gimbal head. I also have a lighter MeFoto travel tripod that is easier to pack for hiking, travel or generally light applications.

Back