Tripods - What to look for.

I suggest getting a lightweight (carbon fibre) tripod as you are more likely to use it in the field.

However make sure it has a hook at the bottom of the centre column so that you can hang your camera bag on it to add weight in a wind or just to hold it more steady with a long lens, etc.

I also bought one of the Arca Swiss "upside down" ballheads as once it's level you can pan to your hearts content and seems easier than using the legs to do the same....

I remember in the 90s, splashing out on a Benbo Mk1 Tripod.
The bent bolt design cost me a lost day, in learning how to manipulate the legs and centre column into place.
However, as far as functionality goes, I've not come across anything stronger, height and angle variable or, more rigid and stable.
It comes at a cost of weight though.
I still use it for portrait work as well as wildlife.
I'm sure it will outlive me (and I've got replacement parts for it that I've never needed to use).

I have a Cambo UST which while not a tripod (although has 3 arms !! lol ) is fantastically stable & can go floor and ceiling..

Ok I'm not going to go hiking with it though...

I remember in the 90s, splashing out on a Benbo Mk1 Tripod.
The bent bolt design cost me a lost day, in learning how to manipulate the legs and centre column into place.
However, as far as functionality goes, I've not come across anything stronger, height and angle variable or, more rigid and stable.
It comes at a cost of weight though.
I still use it for portrait work as well as wildlife.
I'm sure it will outlive me (and I've got replacement parts for it that I've never needed to use).

I have the additional column bracket on mine, it makes handling much easier as the column can be independently positioned once the legs are in place.

^^^^^^^^^^
Ooooh, that sounds interesting.
Do you have any details for that component, it sounds useful when in the field?
Many thanks.

^^^^^^^^^^
Ooooh, that sounds interesting.
Do you have any details for that component, it sounds useful when in the field?
Many thanks.

Fortunately for me mine came with it but it's a genuine Benbo part so someone must know about it.

You can see it in this picture, it's the knob above the bent bolt mechanism...

IMG_8139-01.jpg

Maybe if you ring a supplier and ask about a "centre column bracket" they'll know what you're talking about or if not send them this picture?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
Nice pic, it shows the function too.
I'll make some enquiries and let the good lady know.
Dear Santa, define 'naughty...'

Without a doubt the most important thing with a tripod is it must be stable and a reasonable weight. A flimsy tripod is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, and a heavy one is a burden to carry. I have only come across two that are reasonably priced and have the build/weight I need. One was a Benbow Mk1 which was the better tripod by half but there was no convenient way to carry it, so I swapped it with a friend for his Manfrotto 55b That had a shoulder strap so it could be carried like a rifle and ready to use in a few seconds. I still have the Manfrotto with a big B&S head and a quick release shoe. it has given me well over 20 years of good service.

Back