Tripods.

Name
alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of getting tripod and head....but what else do I realistically need? Remote shutter release? Do these come with facilities to do longer exposures? Or would you set up length of exposure on camera?

if its longer than 30 sec (on most cameras) you set it to B , then the remote release allows you to hold the shutter open for as long as you want (most of them have lock buttons), though you need to time it separately.

by the way don't lay out 40 or so quid on an OEM one, its just a switch and a bit of wire , the 5 quid Chinese ones off ebay are fine

if you want to get seriously in to long exposures @MWHCVT is the person to talk to. You might also want to think about a ten stop filter (which cuts light and enables you to get long exposures in daylight) , these range from the seriously expensive Lee big stopper to the cheaper copies (or welding glass if you want really cheap)

If I get a tripod I'll be new to the whole notion so don't want to get lost before I start on the road but your comments and advice appreciated and it'll be archived. I really want to do landscapes so I thought a tripod might help? I need to look into long exposures and effects perhaps.

If I get a tripod I'll be new to the whole notion so don't want to get lost before I start on the road but your comments and advice appreciated and it'll be archived. I really want to do landscapes so I thought a tripod might help? I need to look into long exposures and effects perhaps.

If your seriously looking into landscapes then before too long as well as the tripod and remote you'll be looking at maybe some ND (neutral density) filters these will allow you balance your exposures more in a single exposure...eg using a graduated 2 stop ND filter to reduce the exposure on the sky while properly exposing the landscape...

There are a great mean talented landscape photographers on her that will no doubt spend a lot of time helping your development from getting ready to take photos, through to critique after the fact you'll be able to see your errors and improve....that is what is epic about this forum...

When picking your tripod, first looks at the weight it can hold, then look for one that is nice and stable...finally you then need to find one that is a) within your price range, and b) light enough that its not just going to get left in the boot

if you get a tripod, make sure its a decent one - cheap and flimsy is worse than useless. Ideally get a good brand like manfroto, or benbo etc - if you have to go budget, red snapper are okay. ( I'm using a Manfrotto 055 with a 222 joystick head. But for landscapes the 322 might be preferable )

Last edited:
I've seen a manfrotto 190xprob and 804RC2 head ( suitable for landscapes and general use? ) for a reasonable price.
I've no idea on filters.Must look into.
Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

Last edited:
If you want to do landscapes seriously then the tripod is a must first buy really. Otherwise, your always going to be coming home unhappy with your images as low ISO and small apertures just aren't going to Be on the cards in the UK due to shutter speed limitations while handholding.

Above everything else, tripod sturdiness is king, weight, whilst important, is the last consideration for me. No point it being great to carry about if it rocks in the wind or is precarious with a 300mm lens on it.

Last edited:
I echo the sentiment. As with everything else, buy the very best you can afford, and this is especially true with a tripod.

As far as a remote release is concerned, unless it's for live action, just use the self timer on a short release. Lock up your mirror if you can, especially for macro. Saves any chance of mechanical vibration.

Good luck.

Another couple of really useful things for landscape photography are -

1. http://photoephemeris.com/

It if free for PCs and Macs and shows the time and direction of the sunrise/sunset (and the moon too) for anywhere on the Earth for any day, and

2. Ordnance Survey maps, either on paper (the 1:50000 ones are a good balance between large coverage and detail) or online, via Bing maps.

The maps have loads of detail to help spotting potentially good locations.

Dave

Ideally you need a tripod that is eye level without extending the central column and a head that doesn't let the camera droop once locked

Remote release is also important and as said earlier mirror lock up avoids any untoward movement. Live view locks the mirror up as a matter of course and is also very handy for checking focus when taking landscapes.

Something like a Manfrotto 055 tripod in either 3 or 4 leg sections would be about right, carbon is lighter should you wish to carry it any distance and a good idea to check closed length in the specs.

Ball or 3 way head is personal preference, the former are my choice and maybe look at Manfrotto 496RC or similar ones from Giottos, can't help much on 3 way designs

Does come down to what your budget is, but would advise against going too cheap and then having to buy again

Thanks for replies.
Seems the 055xprob is a good choice but more expensive than the 190xb : sturdier?
Any heads recommended? Is a ball-head better?

it depends on if you are comparing like for like - the 055x you are looking at may be carbon fibre, the 190xb is made of aluminium - if you get a carbon fibre 190 like the 190Cx it actually costs more than the carbon fibre 055x

if you want cheaper there is also the 290 series

full range http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/photo-tripods

Last edited:
aha..the plot thickens :)
but you've the 055 xprob ?
Difference between a 222 and 322 head? They're not ball heads are they? Is joystick another way of saying pan and tilt?

I've got a 055DB which they don't make any more - its aluminium. The Joysticks are both ball heads , but they have a squeeze grip that releases and locks the grip on the ball. the 222 is an upright grip (ie the grip goes between the tripod and the camera) adding about 5 inches in height (which I like because I'm a big bloke, but short arses may not) - the 322 is only the height of a normal head but has the squeeze grip behind it.

both suck at turning to portrait orientation quickly (I hardly ever do - but it would be a pain in the arse if you wanted to do a lot of panoramic shots)

222 http://www.manfrotto.com/joystick-head

322 http://www.manfrotto.com/heavy-duty-grip-ball-head

Last edited:
I got the Manfrotto 055CXPRO2 a month ago and for it was the right one,, i can walk for miles and so weight is always an issue... I went from a cheap tripod and the difference is night and day,, when i take my landscapes now

carbon fibre is lighter and less prone to dents , but more expensive.

also if you are going to do a lot of seaside work aluminium is better because a lot of immersion in salt water can make carbon fibre delaminate.

if buying an aluminium tripod, you want round or hexagonal legs, avoid cheap pressed section legs like the plague because they are wonky and worse than useless

Thanks.
And a good all-rounder head, if there is one?

I use a geared head a manfotto 410 very precise and secure.

Manfrotto 405 for me. Wouldn't use anything else now, its incredible for Landscapes.

I've seen a manfrotto 190xprob and 804RC2 head ( suitable for landscapes and general use? ) for a reasonable price.
I've no idea on filters.Must look into.
Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.
i have that combo works great good weight and flexible enough for low work to :plus1:

I recently got a Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB with the SBH-100 ball head, and I use it for my landscape work. It's not particularly heavy, can support 7KG on the head, and has smooth controls. It's also pretty flexible; the legs spread to 80° and the centre column pops out and can be mounted sideways. It's also got a handy-dandy hook for weights (aka your camera bag) to increase stability. It's got two levels on the head, and another on the tripod itself. It seems to represent good value for money.

I'm pretty pleased with it.

No one has mentioned these yet, but have a look at Red Snapper http://www.redsnapperuk.com/index.html

A few members on here used them. The RS 324 is very sturdy. Red Snapper used to do a discount for TP members, others will know if it is still available.

Dave

Red Snapper used to do a discount for TP members, others will know if it is still available.
Red10 is the discount code

No one has mentioned these yet, but have a look at Red Snapper

ahem - #7

if you get a tripod, make sure its a decent one - cheap and flimsy is worse than useless. Ideally get a good brand like manfroto, or benbo etc - if you have to go budget, red snapper are okay. ( I'm using a Manfrotto 055 with a 222 joystick head. But for landscapes the 322 might be preferable )
(y)

Woops, missed the earlier reference to RS tripods.:coat:

Dave

FWIW I've had a Velbon Sherpa 600R for a while now and it's been pretty good. Not as heavy as a Manfrotto 055, but still quite stable. I also recently (like yesterday) got a cheap timer/remote from Amazon. I think it was about £10. Works a treat..

FWIW I've had a Velbon Sherpa 600R for a while now and it's been pretty good. Not as heavy as a Manfrotto 055, but still quite stable. I also recently (like yesterday) got a cheap timer/remote from Amazon. I think it was about £10. Works a treat..

I had a Velbon Sherpa for about 3 years, they're brilliant, my tripods take a lot of abuse, very little of the paint was left on mine with several dents on the head before it was finally retired

Back