Tripods

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

I recently purchased a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens (great bit of kit, by the way!) and it didn't take long for me to realise that in order to get the best out of it in the upper 400-600mm ranges, I am going to need a decent Tripod (with a Gimbal head, which I already have figured out). I don't want a super expensive one as I don't need it, but I don't want a really cheap one either that isn't particularly stable and will break within six months, like the last one I bought.

I would like to get as much value for money as possible and therefore wouldn't want to spend more than I have to. I have several Tripods in mind, and I'd like some advice on the pros and cons to each and if they're any good? I am 5'11", so I want something that I'll be able to use comfortably with a Beike (sp) BK-45 head. They are:
  • Manfrotto 190XPRO3
  • Manfrotto 055XPRO3
  • Benro Adventure TAD27A
  • Benro Adventure TAD28A
  • Benro Mach3 TMA27A
I am open to other suggestions too, although nothing above £150 please - and if possible, less than that! Any advice on the above would be hugely appreciated, as I don't want to spend money on something that isn't very good or I could get better value for money from something cheaper.

Regards,
James.

I've got the Manfrotto 190 & 055 and I'd go with the 055 out of those 2.
Mine's been lent to a friend at the moment but when I've got it back, if you still need one, I'll be selling it.
It's got the 804RC2 head on it but you can obviously use any head you like on it.
I'm 5'11" too and the 055 goes more than.

I've got the Manfrotto 190 & 055 and I'd go with the 055 out of those 2.
Mine's been lent to a friend at the moment but when I've got it back, if you still need one, I'll be selling it.
It's got the 804RC2 head on it but you can obviously use any head you like on it.
I'm 5'11" too and the 055 goes more than.
When will you be getting it back? I'd certainly be interested in buying it.

The advice I often see given with long lens tripods, especially with gimbal heads is to go for one without a movable centre column as the are much less susceptible to micro vibrations which are a bit of an issue with long lenses.

Apologies for the late reply, but thanks for the advice folks.
A member on here contacted me with a Manfrotto Carbon One 441 that he had for sale. which, after consulting with a friend who also owns one, I found out would be a slightly cheaper, and a much better quality, than the 055XPRO3 Aluminium that I was thinking about purchasing.

Back