tripods

Name
chris
Edit My Images
Yes
MANFROTTO 190XDB 486RC2 BALL HEAD
would this be a good setup for 40d and 400mm lens,
one i have now is well not good,

just saw em on ebay so thought id ask on here, if there be strong enough didnt think about height, do you own one ?

146cm

i see cheers, i dont have that prob at 5ft 6
so it def be stronger enough ,not let the cam lens move

I bought the 055XPROB and 488RC2 ballhead whecih is a great combo.

It can extend so much so that I can't see in the viewfinder and I'm 6'5".

It might be sort of usable (better than nothing) but far from what I would recommend. 400 mm is a rather tall order. If you intend to use converters, even more so.

The manfrotto 055 might be a decent alternative for focus lengths up to, say 200 mm. Above that its limitations begin to show. I would suggest you start looking for serious (and unfortunately costly) alternatives such as Gitzo 3-series tripods and gimbal heads.

It might be sort of usable (better than nothing) but far from what I would recommend. 400 mm is a rather tall order. If you intend to use converters, even more so.

The manfrotto 055 might be a decent alternative for focus lengths up to, say 200 mm. Above that its limitations begin to show. I would suggest you start looking for serious (and unfortunately costly) alternatives such as Gitzo 3-series tripods and gimbal heads.

Its a 100-400 not a 400 2.8! :LOL:

OK, I kind of suspected that. Still, 400mm which on a DX camera in practice behaves like a 600mm deserves respect.

I have a 055x prob again because I like to use it without extending the centre column if at all possible. I replace the my 486 with a 488 because

A

I repeat:

Because

A it had a separate pan lock and
B it copes better with a big lens.

But having said that I worked with the 486 for quite a while

Back